• Last Updated:
  • Jun 25th, 2018 7:53 pm
[OP]
Jun 23, 2018
5 posts
1 upvote

Koodo member looking for new phone through tab

Hey guys and gals,

I am a current Koodo subscriber and I want to take advantage of the tab pricing on a new phone from Koodo. Right now I have an LG G4, which I got from Koodo. I would like to get something nicer like an LG V30, or HUAWEI P20 on the tab and then just pay it off and use the new phone on my existing plan with Koodo. How would I go about doing this?

Thanks everyone.
8 replies
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15537 posts
14070 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Webstore? Thinking Face
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
[OP]
Jun 23, 2018
5 posts
1 upvote
Hi titaniumtux,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I am only able to access the webstore. No idea where the closest koodo kiosk/store would be as I am about 4 hours away from Winnipeg, MB.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7688 posts
5187 upvotes
Canada
NigelA414 wrote: Hi titaniumtux,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I am only able to access the webstore. No idea where the closest koodo kiosk/store would be as I am about 4 hours away from Winnipeg, MB.

If you can access the web-store, why do you need a koodo kiosk/store?
You can get a new phone online. Depends on your plan/tab, as most of the deals for current customers are on Tab Large right now
[OP]
Jun 23, 2018
5 posts
1 upvote
Hi RFD. I was replying to titaniumtux's need for clarification. I am currently on a tab small but it will be paid off on my next bill.

How about this: would it be a better deal for me to buy a phone elsewhere and simply switch plans on the website?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21042 posts
10551 upvotes
Oakville
I'm a bit confused by the question - if your'e already a Koodo customer, just go to the Koodo website and see what deals are available for you. I'm not aware of any deals for the V30 or P20 that are only available for new customers, so just buy it on your existing plan and you're good to go. Take the 0% loan for having it on a tab, even better.
[OP]
Jun 23, 2018
5 posts
1 upvote
Thanks wearysky, I am relatively new to Koodo so I was not sure what the procedure is for switching my current phone for a new one on tab. Do I have to close my old plan before I start the new tab and would I be better off buying a phone from a third party and just switching to a BYOD plan?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7688 posts
5187 upvotes
Canada
NigelA414 wrote: Thanks wearysky, I am relatively new to Koodo so I was not sure what the procedure is for switching my current phone for a new one on tab. Do I have to close my old plan before I start the new tab and would I be better off buying a phone from a third party and just switching to a BYOD plan?
Tab small and BYOD plans are the same price on koodo, so you won't be saving money by switching your tab small plan to BYOD.
Which phone are you interested in? P20 and V30 are only discounted for Tab Large right now, not Tab Small. If you really have your mind set on 1 of these phones, what you can do is open a New Line on the koodo website with Tab Large. When you get your phone, Cancel the line. You will have to pay off the Tab, and then you can keep the phone. After that, just continue using your current plan.

But log in on Koodo self serve online first, you might have tailored phone deals specifically for you on Tab Small already since you haven't upgraded in a while.

If you want to buy a third party phone, that's possible too. Just remove the sim card from your current phone and put it in the new phone.
[OP]
Jun 23, 2018
5 posts
1 upvote
Wow. Thanks rfdq1016. Best reply so far.

I really had my heart set on the LG V20 actually. The p20 and v20 were just a couple of the better phones Koodo had available. If I can just buy a v20 and swap my SIM into it, I'll be laughing. Been doing intensive research for about a week now and it looks like it checks all my boxes. I really like the idea of a replaceable battery. Not much of that around these days. I found a lot of V20s on ebay and some carrier-specific models on Newegg and Amazon, but it sounds like even though they are technically unlocked phones, they still have carrier-specific bloatware that is permanent. So I have been considering the V20s from China. It's the h910 model so it only has one SIM, but that's all I need. They are factory unlocked.
Thanks again for the I formation and advice.