Cell Phones

Koodo Mobile drop Canada-wide calling, separate BYOD and Tab plan pricing Feb 23rd

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 12th, 2021 1:57 pm
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
20144 posts
29043 upvotes
Toronto

Koodo Mobile drop Canada-wide calling, separate BYOD and Tab plan pricing Feb 23rd

“Beginning February 23, Koodo is making changes to its rate plan pricing to provide customers more choice, flexibility, and opportunities to save. For example, new customers choosing a Tab rate plan will get 3GB of data, unlimited Province-wide calling and Canada-wide text starting at $50/month. Customers who bring their own device can save $5 off Tab rate plans, such as 3GB of data for $45/month, which includes unlimited Province-wide calling and Canada-wide text.

“We heard from customers that they wanted more choice and flexibility when selecting specific features, and that Canada-wide calling was not a service everyone needs built into their plans. As a result, we have decided to introduce optional add-on features like unlimited Canada-wide calling and International text for $5 for customers who need it. Nothing will change for existing or renewing customers as long as they keep their current plan.”

from https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/02/18/kood ... -byod-tab/
Destiny is all
49 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1834 posts
4035 upvotes
Dhanushan wrote: “Koodo is making changes to its rate plan pricing to provide customers more choice, flexibility, and opportunities to save...
“We heard from customers that they wanted more choice... and that Canada-wide calling was not a service everyone needs built into their plans.
More choice! opportunities to save! Just giving customers what they want..
Wonder what the PPU will be for out-of-province calls... $0.60/min as on the $30 plan?
US/International text on Koodo will also likely be $0.60 per, unless you pay $5/mo for the add-on.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24670 posts
8739 upvotes
Toronto
Dang, my MIL & sis have the best Koodo plans.

$35 / month for 5gb + 5gb addon. This was the PM migration plan + free 5gb addon.

I regret moving off my Koodo Pm plan to a Telus EPP plan.

My main focus is now to lower my monthly rate as much as possible. Only need a bit of data since I have the Walmart AT&T plan....
Feb 16, 2013
84 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
I wonder if this affects current customers, or if we'll be able to keep our existing plans as-is.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2014
1406 posts
750 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Ah yes, Canadian telecom offering us "choice". Wouldn't it make more sense to remove the Canada wide calling and drop the plan price if it's really to help us save money. God I hate Telcom in this country.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29540 posts
20458 upvotes
Covid has hurt the top and bottom line at all the telecoms. It has strained their ability to keep the annual dividend increase intact. This is the solution.
Public Mobile customer, $34/50GB CAN-US, $29/30GB, $24/4GB
Tangerine, EQ, Simplii, HSBC customer
Apr 17, 2005
433 posts
138 upvotes
Logged in to my wife's Koodo account to maybe change to a cheaper plan before this change takes effect. Some plans now show "unlimited Canada wide calling" while others just show "unlimited calling". So has the change already taken effect?
Dec 4, 2013
899 posts
464 upvotes
WestGTA
Next stop will be
in zone unlimited plans,
$5 extra for provincial plans,
$10 extra for Canada wide plan.

ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL ABOARDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
3221 posts
2761 upvotes
Montreal
50$. Wow. That's expensive.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
3482 posts
3868 upvotes
Antarctica
Wait, they heard from their customers that they didn't need Canada wide calling and international text but they didn't hear that people wanted more data for less?

What a load of bull.

It's like we are back in 2010. I guess fido and virgin will follow suit soon.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4832 posts
759 upvotes
alishan9258 wrote: I wonder if this affects current customers, or if we'll be able to keep our existing plans as-is.
+1
This is really all I care about.
Just don't want my plan to go up for no real reason.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2988 posts
2030 upvotes
Calgary
How soon until they go back to 100 minute plans?
Feb 15, 2021
244 posts
276 upvotes
MB-Formerly GTA
Nothing will change for existing or renewing customers as long as they keep their current plan.”

Yes, a great way to lock in existing customers who need Canadian Wide calling so that they cannot jump ship to another telco.
Like other posters, I believe the other telcos (not competitors) will likely follow.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7673 posts
1131 upvotes
Toronto, ON
So, if Canada-wide calling goes away, that's going to start to be a problem with the 'modern' things and clueless millennials that pretend a phone number is a meaningless 10-digit number.

e.g. DoorDash has a funky system for communication between their clients and their dashers, and I've seen that system use 581 and 587 area codes, along with 226 (which, for Ontario, wouldn't be an issue if you still have provide province-wide calling). Video conferencing services like Zoom will give you, say, 8 dial-in numbers in random order and there's no way to tell it to specify certain locations in Canada higher than others.

Also, if your friends subscribe to the modern 'I don't change my phone number when I move' ideology and have a phone number from half way around the country where their parents lived when they were 14, and you have a province-wide plan, you're now going to have to pay to call them. (Then again, maybe such clueless people only communicate by text in which case it's moot)

That being said, as a grumpy curmudgeon, I kind of approve of this. I'd like to see DoorDash, for example, fix their system so that I get calls from 647 numbers instead of random rate centers in SW Ontario or Alberta or Eastern Quebec, and maybe if Koodo clients start being billed for these calls, it'll force these people to design their systems based on proper PSTN numbering principles?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4832 posts
759 upvotes
Devhux wrote: How soon until they go back to 100 minute plans?
To be closely followed by the return of the system access fee.
Jul 31, 2008
64 posts
35 upvotes
Canada-wide calling costs them nothing. It also saves them nothing. In the age of WhatsApp and Zoom, this price gouging is an embarrassment for a company like Telus!
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
will888 wrote: Covid has hurt the top and bottom line at all the telecoms. It has strained their ability to keep the annual dividend increase intact. This is the solution.
what? with person meeting less in person you would think telecommunication has expanded, not contracted.
Banned
Feb 16, 2021
4 posts
5 upvotes
Kitchener Ontario
With Public Mobile I get 5GB for $38 / month with Canada wide calling. The deals are out there.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)