• Jul 15th, 2020 9:35 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 4, 2011
277 posts
240 upvotes
Charlottetown

Koodo Plans Compared to other?

My parents have 2 phones with Koodo (an older Samsung S5 with Koodo for years and an iPhone 8 added a second line 2 years ago). The second phone had 4 GB of data as part of the plan while the first phone had 1GB of data. They are paying $120 per month and it appears as if the second phone finished out the Tab plan and Data was dropped from 4GB down to 1GB per month. They are burning through the 1GB of data within a week and need more.

I am going to go over to their place tomorrow and look through the paperwork / online account to figure out what they are getting and make some calls to Koodo to see about getting more data and not increase what they are paying.

Question for the community... How much data should be included for 2 mobile lines for about $120 / month (1GB of data for each line seems like a ripoff). What current offers are available now from Koodo or other providers that we could consider. They are not really looking for new phones as are happy with what they have. Any discussion points I should be armed with when talking to Koodo to get a better deal with more Data? Or if the best option to switch to another provider any discussion points I should be aware of.

Appreciate the help.
22 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2009
1676 posts
676 upvotes
Markham
If I were you, I'd sign your parents up on this zoomerwireless deal,
MINUTES
UNLIMITED
DATA
PRICE
$36.00 /mo*
REGULAR PRICE: $40/MO.
https://www.zoomerwireless.ca/promotion ... onus-offer
Also
**$25 Talk & Text Promo Plan, $40 5 GB Promo Plan and $45 6 GB Promo Plan new activations with a 2-year term are eligible for a bill credit: $50 with Talk & Text plans; $100 with Smartphone plans. Bill credit applies to account balance. Not applicable to Wireless Home Phone and Tablet activations. Credit will be reversed if service is discontinued or modified within the first 30 days. Hardware Upgrades are not eligible for the bill credit.
TL;dr you get $100 activation credit + I think you can get $50 if you get a referral code. :)

This way you get 5gb per line at $36+tax
Much cheaper then what their paying right now and you get a new phone per line not the best phone but it's decent of they aren't doing too much on it.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Also, zoomerwireless uses Rogers full speed LTE.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37773 posts
23854 upvotes
Center of Universe
Koodo's in-market plans suck...
The PM migration plan was the only good deal they had.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2014
1110 posts
512 upvotes
Corunna, ON
You really should move them to Zoomer, Public or Lucky.

Zoomer is the best deal. Great plan for the price and if you sell the free phone you are basically getting a $400 signing bonus. It really is a no brainer.

Public and Lucky have very good BYOD plans.

Zoomer is a Sub company of Rogers
Public is a Sub company ofTelus
Lucky is a Sub company of Bell.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
4177 posts
2442 upvotes
Toronto, ON
+1 for Zoomer.

My parents are on Rogers, and as soon as they are done their contracts I'm switching them to Zoomer.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Jul 16, 2009
175 posts
46 upvotes
Fraser Valley, BC
Koodo just offered my husband $35 for unlimited calling and 2 GB of Data. You might be able to get 6 GB for $45. Call Koodo and press buttons to cancel so you can speak to Loyalty agent and negotiate a better plan for your parents. If you see better offers elsewhere let them know that you are looking at switching and they might price match. Also some stores like London Drugs and Walmart have gift card promos for new phones and renewal of phone.
Telus Mobility $30/25GB x 5 + $15 x 3 Talk & Text (+ $5 add a line discount + $10 H&M discount)
+ $0 x 2 POM Connect Watch + $0 x 2 POM Connect Tab
Telus Home $70 - 7 Theme Packs & Crave/Movies/HBO/Netflix + Internet 300 + Security
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23427 posts
5432 upvotes
Toronto
Lyn2009 wrote: Koodo just offered my husband $35 for unlimited calling and 2 GB of Data. You might be able to get 6 GB for $45. Call Koodo and press buttons to cancel so you can speak to Loyalty agent and negotiate a better plan for your parents. If you see better offers elsewhere let them know that you are looking at switching and they might price match. Also some stores like London Drugs and Walmart have gift card promos for new phones and renewal of phone.
curious - what was your husband's Koodo plan before when you asked to cancel?

I would love to get my mom on the $35/2Gb plan - my dad is currently on the Koodo $40/6Gb PM migration plan (that we don't want to cancel)...

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Jul 16, 2009
175 posts
46 upvotes
Fraser Valley, BC
ji2o0k wrote: curious - what was your husband's Koodo plan before when you asked to cancel?

I would love to get my mom on the $35/2Gb plan - my dad is currently on the Koodo $40/6Gb PM migration plan (that we don't want to cancel)...
My husband is currently with PM. I use the cancellation option to get through to loyalty. My sister got the $35 on an existing line in the fall and the rest of us switched to $45 6 GB with bonus data. I believe other carriers offer the $35 for 2 GB - I would ask if they could match. PM has the $35 plan on their website. PM is okay . . . my only issue is it you have to get moderators to assist with problems and it can take quite some time to address. It took me a week to port a line and I had no service. Also, they do not have roam like home - not that we are going anywhere right now. But PM is cheap and you can get $2 off per month for autopay and then $1 off for loyalty every year.
Telus Mobility $30/25GB x 5 + $15 x 3 Talk & Text (+ $5 add a line discount + $10 H&M discount)
+ $0 x 2 POM Connect Watch + $0 x 2 POM Connect Tab
Telus Home $70 - 7 Theme Packs & Crave/Movies/HBO/Netflix + Internet 300 + Security
May 26, 2020
215 posts
109 upvotes
How do you get the cancellation option when you call? I can't seem to find that.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2014
1110 posts
512 upvotes
Corunna, ON
Whomever you first speak to, tell them you are calling to cancel your service. They will send you to retentions.

There is actually a quite a few questions you need to answer to officially cancel. You can stop and hang up at anytime.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2119 posts
255 upvotes
Hi guys currently have chatr $38 total taxed
But the coverage map isn’t good Places like Kingston and Oshawa ... zoomer suits my need ? $40 plan?
Thanks
Chinese Food+MSG=Good Food :rolleyes:
Jun 2, 2010
694 posts
380 upvotes
Toronto
chinese zzz wrote: Hi guys currently have chatr $38 total taxed
But the coverage map isn’t good Places like Kingston and Oshawa ... zoomer suits my need ? $40 plan?
Thanks
Chatr is owned by Rogers. Zoomer is owned by Rogers. So both Chatr and Zoomer use Rogers towers. If you're not happy with Chatr coverage, you probably won't be happy with Zoomer coverage either.
TELUS: Unlimited 25 $37.50/25GB x 2 (50 GB pooled data)
AT&T Prepaid Unlimited MAX: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, ?? GB data
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2119 posts
255 upvotes
Thanks boss but chatr coverage map is bad & very limited... not sure about zoomer... when I was at Kingston each minutes cost 0.40cents .... I need something cost less and have bigger coverage map...
Chinese Food+MSG=Good Food :rolleyes:
Jun 2, 2010
694 posts
380 upvotes
Toronto
chinese zzz wrote: Thanks boss but chatr coverage map is bad & very limited... not sure about zoomer... when I was at Kingston each minutes cost 0.40cents .... I need something cost less and have bigger coverage map...
Do you have a Chatr In-Zone plan? Chatr has a Kingston zone, but it doesn't look really big. Oshawa is part of the GTA - Hamilton - Niagara - Fort Erie zone:

Chatr Coverage Map

Chatr now sells Nationwide Plans so you no longer have to worry about being in a Chatr zone:

Chatr Nation-wide Plans.

Chatr has $35 for 1.5 GB (with AutoPay) and $40 for 4.5 GB (with AutoPay). Both on the Rogers nationwide network so no roaming fees. And both plans have Unlimited Canada-Wide Talk.
TELUS: Unlimited 25 $37.50/25GB x 2 (50 GB pooled data)
AT&T Prepaid Unlimited MAX: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, ?? GB data
Apr 25, 2019
874 posts
1515 upvotes
YXE, Sask.
chinese zzz wrote: Thanks boss but chatr coverage map is bad & very limited... not sure about zoomer... when I was at Kingston each minutes cost 0.40cents .... I need something cost less and have bigger coverage map...
Why not try Lucky Mobile? They are owned and operated by Bell. They have pretty decent plans that include unlimited data at reduced speeds after the high speed 3G allotment. (128 Kbps.) They have 1 GB $25, 2 GB $35, 5 GB $0, and 8.5 GB $50 with autopay.
Koodo BF 2022 $30 20 GB ($25 for first 5 months!)
Samsung Galaxy A53 owner.
May 24, 2008
665 posts
244 upvotes
Edmonton ish
I am so glad i came across this forum, i am just moving my five lines from Freedom to Zoomer. great deal:
6gb data
ultd texts and calling
5 free phones
$500 line credits as i have 5 lines
rogers network
$42.53 per line per month

[removed]

thanks for teh information guys

RFD rules
Last edited by Sanforized on Jul 14th, 2020 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Not allowed
Using the awesome Samsung Galaxy S20FE with Telus 5G 30gb x 5 lines at $38 per line and 1 home phone lite $20pm. I can't get a decent keyboard phone anymore Used to have Blackberry KEY2, Key1, Passport SE, Z30, Z10, BOLD 9900, 9000, Playbook 36Gb.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
4177 posts
2442 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Chatr uses 3G and Zoomer uses LTE.

Huge difference with Zoomer!
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23427 posts
5432 upvotes
Toronto
Virgin mobile was offering former members $45/8gb data with unlimited Cdn calls & txts. This was decent, expired on June 30 tho,

Now VM is offering $45/6gb to former members.....lol downgrade...

Most recent decent deals that caught my eyes.

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0