[Koodo] Koodo Prepaid plans - triple value Boosters

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2020 4:53 pm
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8185 posts
4717 upvotes
Kootenays
Thanks OP. Don't know how I missed this on the 21st. No text from Koodo, either. Topped up all of our accounts and should be good for another couple of years.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
5764 posts
5369 upvotes
atvds1210 wrote: What's the difference between LTE and VoLTE?
VoLTE is your voice calls are over the LTE network. If your network, or your phone doesn't support VoLTE your voice calls will cause your phone to fall back to 3G (UMTS) to handle the call.

This means during a call you will only have 3G data (UMTS/HSPA) available. The LTE connection will restore once you finish your voice call.

It's not a huge deal for most people.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1010 posts
1658 upvotes
Alberta
VoLTE means quicker call setup, lower latency, better call quality, seamless transition of calls between WiFi and cellular, more efficient utilization of available bandwidth.
Calls don't degrade with congestion and poor signal as they can on 3G.
It also allows for the EVS codec, the next step up in call quality from HD Voice.
On Freedom VoLTE gives the user access to 'extended range' LTE Band 13.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
5764 posts
5369 upvotes
pjw918 wrote: VoLTE means quicker call setup, lower latency, better call quality, seamless transition of calls between WiFi and cellular, more efficient utilization of available bandwidth.
Not necessarily. HD Voice is a feature independent of LTE. I had HD Voice before I had a phone that supported LTE.
pjw918 wrote: While on a 3G call the user cannot access mobile data on their phone (use the internet).
Completely false. When on a '3G call' you have full access to the 3G data network. While not as fast as LTE on the Bellus and Rogers network, it's more than enough for most use cases, especially in a temporary situation.

For Freedom Mobile it's NOT a good experience, but saying 'cannot access moblie data' is false.
pjw918 wrote: Calls don't degrade with congestion and poor signal as they can on 3G.
I believe you are expressing your experience with FM, but aren't making that clear, so I'll clarify:

3G signal on Bellus and Rogers networks is 100% solid for voice. After all, voice has priority, and the networks were DESIGNED with 850MHz in mind. With B5 coverage on 3G you won't have any congestion issues with Bellus and Rogers, for voice.

For Freedom Mobile, yes, you will sometimes have issues when your local cell is completely oversaturated on B4. And yes, since you won't have access to B13 for voice (LTE only) you won't have as good a coverage for voice.
pjw918 wrote: It also allows for the EVS codec, the next step up in call quality from HD Voice.
The EVS codec supports up to 20kHz for voice:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_Voice_Services

while AMR-WB (used on 3G if enabled) supports up to 7kHz:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptive_ ... e_Wideband

Both are a vast improvement over 'standard' voice that peaks at around 3kHz.

That said, noone will likely notice the difference between max EVS and AMR-WB. In fact, I personally HATE HD-Voice, it's always jarring hearing a person clearly like that. I'm an old fart who's used phones for too many years, and my ears prefer the crummy scratchy 'normal' phone sound...
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2016
1287 posts
1017 upvotes
Halifax
Triple Value on Prepaid Talk , Data and Long Distance Boosters.
I watch for this every year.
Only until November 20th .
Screenshot 2020-11-16 123903.jpg
A fan of RFD
Jun 18, 2015
518 posts
783 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Bella125 wrote: Not everyone lives in downtown Toronto, Telus has much better coverage than PM.
Bella125 wrote: Don't live downtown, public mobile is useless to me
-
They would be the same. Telus, Koodo, and Public Mobile are the same company.
-
They have the same coverage, Public Mobile uses Telus' towers.
-
Public Mobile and Koodo share the same parent company and use the same towers.
-
Public Mobile is owned by Telus. They use the same towers.
-
It's Telus network so it should be fine.
-
PM uses the Bellus network. I can't comment on Thunder Bay specifically, but generally Bellus has the best network coverage in most of the country.
-
PM is the tier 3 provider of Telus. It uses the Bellus network and has the exact same coverage.

how many times must you be told?
Jan 22, 2019
46 posts
43 upvotes
FYI - normally you can't buy the triple boosters twice, but if you bought at the bonus price when this thread first came up and your billing cycle has turned over you can buy them at the bonus price again.

I just tried this and it worked. So thanks rdiamond1 for the bump or I wouldn't have thought to try.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
5301 posts
1518 upvotes
Toronto
What is the cheapest you can start a phone number for? Like the absolute lowest money up front and start a new phone number?
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1825 posts
807 upvotes
London
rdiamond1 wrote: Triple Value on Prepaid Talk , Data and Long Distance Boosters.
I watch for this every year.
Unless I somehow missed one (unlikely), this doesn't happen every year.
I show the last time as Aug 2018 and it was double value.
I've never seen triple before.
Jun 6, 2020
49 posts
49 upvotes
Is there no way to add the data to a monthly plan?
Edit: I meant postpaid.

I'm already a monthly customer, but will be moving and be out of internet for 2 weeks. 3gb of data would have came in handy.
Last edited by YanC94308 on Nov 18th, 2020 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1825 posts
807 upvotes
London
Broskah wrote: People still use prepaid in 2020...
People use the plan that fits their needs.
$15/month fits mine, and I doubt you'll find a post paid at that price.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
5764 posts
5369 upvotes
Broskah wrote: People still use prepaid in 2020...
What's wrong with prepaid in 2020? Do you have any clue what you're talking about?

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)