• Jun 4th, 2019 8:11 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2006
2268 posts
409 upvotes
Торонто

Koodo price increase $5 YMMV?

Not sure if this applies to everyone so ymmv but in the 5+ years ive been with them I’ve never heard of Koodo increasing prices. Just got an email that effective May 1 my plan will increase $5 for “ network improvements”.

This line was originally from PM where Koodo provided a migration plan, same plan same price. With this price increase I’ll be going back to PM. For the same price minus autopay discount I’ll loose LTE but I’ll gain 1gb.
Last edited by o0vL on Mar 6th, 2019 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
29 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20111 posts
6327 upvotes
Toronto
o0vL wrote: Not sure if this applies to everyone so ymmv but in the 5+ years ive been with them I’ve never heard of Koodo increasing prices. Just got an email that effective May 1 my plan will increase $5 for “ network improvements”.

This line was originally from PM where Koodo provided a migration plan, same plan same price. With this price increase I’ll be going back to PM. For the same price minus autopay discount I’ll loose LTE but I’ll gain 1gb.
But, but... Koodo never raises their plan prices... ;) There goes that claim.

What are the details of your plan?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2006
2268 posts
409 upvotes
Торонто
Basic plan. It’s for my grandma, $25 unlimited text/voice.
Images
  • 1BBF34B4-CCC4-4C71-ACBC-01B50082F882.png
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
22569 posts
3856 upvotes
Toronto
That $35/1gb is pretty decent though...

That would be a great plan for my mom....she's on PM on the $30/1gb plan with $2 discount autopay but speeds are capped at 3G....

Wow, Koodo raising prices but not the $60/10Gb plan (for now)

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2006
2268 posts
409 upvotes
Торонто
It’s decent but my grandma has never had data so she wouldn’t know the difference between 3G and LTE. I won’t even tell her that she has data lol
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5731 posts
3720 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote: That $35/1gb is pretty decent though...

That would be a great plan for my mom....she's on PM on the $30/1gb plan with $2 discount autopay but speeds are capped at 3G....
Do you know the Thrift Shop song? Switch "fifty dollars for a t-shirt" with "thirty-five dollars for a gigabyte."
Oct 23, 2005
157 posts
23 upvotes
Ottawa
Got a similiar email:
Over the past few years, we’ve worked hard to enhance our network coverage and quality. Today, we are more committed than ever to deliver the best service possible.

To continue supporting our network enhancements, your rate plan of $40/month will increase to $43/month, effective May 1, 2019.

With this in mind, we’d like to offer you an option to switch to another great plan. Get 2 GB of Shock‑Free® data with unlimited Canada‑wide minutes and messaging (text and picture)1 for $45 a month. This offer will only be available until May 31, 2019.

Text 2GB45 to 5241 by May 31, 2019, to switch to this new plan. It may take up to 7 days to process, but don’t worry, you’ll get a text alert from us when the change gets applied to your account.

If you’d like to explore other rate plan options,
see koodo.com/plans

So a price increase of $3.00 for my wife's phone plan. I find it funny that they say that I can upgrade to $45 to get 2 gigs of data.. her current plan has 2 gigs of data as well. Very odd!
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
22481 posts
11280 upvotes
Toronto
hvwozq wrote: Proof? Screenshot?

@embguy @will888
What do you want me to do/say?
Koodo $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, EQ Bank, Simplii
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
22481 posts
11280 upvotes
Toronto
hvwozq wrote: You two got too many Koodo lines. Did you get an email for the price increase for any of them?
None so far. This is counter to what they did with the pricing on the $60/10GB plan.

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/ ... e-60-10gb/
Koodo $40/6GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
18129 posts
4560 upvotes
Toronto
I have two lines from the pm migration and haven't received anything.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
22481 posts
11280 upvotes
Toronto
It might be useful for those who received the price increase notice provide data on how long they have been on the plan, whether there was hardware tab. I am not saying any of this is definitely relevant. Just trying to see if there is a trend unless there is an across the board price increase for everyone.
Koodo $40/6GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20111 posts
6327 upvotes
Toronto
will888 wrote: It might be useful for those who received the price increase notice provide data on how long they have been on the plan, whether there was hardware tab. I am not saying any of this is definitely relevant. Just trying to see if there is a trend unless there is an across the board price increase for everyone.
It's probably not for everyone, but it's also probably just the beginning.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2004
1755 posts
269 upvotes
Toronto
EugW wrote: It's probably not for everyone, but it's also probably just the beginning.
yeah, You can't trust these companies. I suspect they'll try to get people to change to other plans - maybe target low use lines, with the knowledge they wont use the high caps but at the same time change the terms and conditions
Mar 21, 2016
23 posts
3 upvotes
Ottawa
My wife got a similar email.
She is on a $30 plan with 500 min and 500mb data.
Email says the price will go up by $3. for $35 she can get 1GB.

She has been with koodo for a few years. Recently got a phone on a small tab.

Is there any way to fight this? $35/1GB is not too bad compared to other plans out there but I just don't like the fact they are increasing prices and that we in Canada already pay one of the highest.
May 17, 2008
234 posts
155 upvotes
Toronto
I'm on their $40 6GB plan. Haven't received the email yet.
Deal Guru
Sep 19, 2006
10375 posts
5200 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe only lower plans got an increase???
Sharing is Caring - Without people sharing info, these forums would not exist and no one would benefit from it. Don't be selfish.

They really need to show who downvotes so we can find out the mofus is
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1456 posts
761 upvotes
so... what exactly did Koodo do to enhance network coverage and quality? Or is this a straight up lie?
crackerjack wrote: Got a similiar email:
Over the past few years, we’ve worked hard to enhance our network coverage and quality. Today, we are more committed than ever to deliver the best service possible.

To continue supporting our network enhancements, your rate plan of $40/month will increase to $43/month, effective May 1, 2019.

With this in mind, we’d like to offer you an option to switch to another great plan. Get 2 GB of Shock‑Free® data with unlimited Canada‑wide minutes and messaging (text and picture)1 for $45 a month. This offer will only be available until May 31, 2019.

Text 2GB45 to 5241 by May 31, 2019, to switch to this new plan. It may take up to 7 days to process, but don’t worry, you’ll get a text alert from us when the change gets applied to your account.

If you’d like to explore other rate plan options,
see koodo.com/plans

So a price increase of $3.00 for my wife's phone plan. I find it funny that they say that I can upgrade to $45 to get 2 gigs of data.. her current plan has 2 gigs of data as well. Very odd!
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20111 posts
6327 upvotes
Toronto
Chickennbeans wrote: so... what exactly did Koodo do to enhance network coverage and quality? Or is this a straight up lie?
It's not a lie, because they are constantly upgrading their networks.

However, it's likely not as if they're doing anything really different, cuz well... they are constantly upgrading their networks.