Cell Phones

Koodo: Receiving the 10% "no tab discount" in error?

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 22nd, 2017 1:45 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jr. Member
Oct 5, 2012
107 posts
65 upvotes
Edmonton

Koodo: Receiving the 10% "no tab discount" in error?

Around Black Friday 2016 I moved from an older plan with Koodo under which I was getting a 10% no-tab discount to the $48 5GB plan that was being offered through loyalty/retention in Alberta (and maybe other places, but this is not the SK/MB plan). I was thinking about getting a new phone through the tab since there are some decent deals but I happened to notice that I am still getting the 10% no-tab discount on my $48 plan and I'm trying to figure out a few things:
  1. Am I receiving the 10% discount in error? I thought the new plans didn't offer that.
  2. If I add a phone to a tab, is this going to be removed? What if I do it online - would the system forget to remove it?
  3. If the discount gets removed, would it come back when I pay off the tab?
  4. Can I pay off the tab immediately or a month or so later without cancelling the line and get the discount back?
I was thinking of getting a phone based on pretty decent pricing promotions but if it is actually going to cost me another $4.80 per month since I would lose the discount then that would likely lead me to not get a phone and just leave things as are. Anyone have any insight?
20 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 21, 2005
12407 posts
11229 upvotes
Koodo changed the tab system couple of years ago.
Old tabsystem, no tab = 10% off per month off the plan cost.
If you get a new phone, you will be switched to the new tab system and you will kiss the 10% off forever because the new system does not have 10% off.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $36 5GB, $12 250MB, 2x $6 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan with a free tablet,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Oct 5, 2012
107 posts
65 upvotes
Edmonton
embguy wrote: Koodo changed the tab system couple of years ago.
Old tabsystem, no tab = 10% off per month off the plan cost.
If you get a new phone, you will be switched to the new tab system and you will kiss the 10% off forever because the new system does not have 10% off.
Yeah, that was my understanding too. They must have made an error when they left it on and moved me over to the other plan as it shouldn't have the 10% off discount. I'm just wondering if they will catch it if I add a phone online, or if I might be able to keep it on the plan anyways. Not sure how they would be set up.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2013
19711 posts
9161 upvotes
Oakville
If you can add a phone without changing your plan (you may not be able to, on your loyalty/retention plan, I dunno how those work with Koodo), in theory you should be able to do it all online without anybody looking at your account. Others have reported attempting to get a phone upgrade online and being told that they need to change their plan before they can check out, though.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33721 posts
7361 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
The discount is for BYOD (Bring Your Own Device)

If you order a device, you are no longer BYOD

I suggest you just buy a phone out right and keep the 10%
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2013
19711 posts
9161 upvotes
Oakville
Gee wrote: The discount is for BYOD (Bring Your Own Device)

If you order a device, you are no longer BYOD

I suggest you just buy a phone out right and keep the 10%
The point is that the discount shouldn't apply to OP's current plan anyway. BYOD or not.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33721 posts
7361 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
wearysky wrote: The point is that the discount shouldn't apply to OP's current plan anyway. BYOD or not.
That's debatable. I still have an old Koodo plan and I am getting the 10% discount. If he is getting the discount, I would assume he is still on an old plan that qualifies for the discount even if he transferred into it.

There is no advantage to getting a phone from a carrier, you still pay full price in the end unless it is an older model that they're trying to clear out.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2013
19711 posts
9161 upvotes
Oakville
Gee wrote: That's debatable. I still have an old Koodo plan and I am getting the 10% discount. If he is getting the discount, I would assume he is still on an old plan that qualifies for the discount even if he transferred into it.

There is no advantage to getting a phone from a carrier, you still pay full price in the end unless it is an older model that they're trying to clear out.
I don't know how Koodo does "retention" plans, but I know that other carriers will (edit: sometimes, not always) actually put you on a new, different plan. If OP is still on their old plan, just with a retention discount applied to it to get the monthly fee down to $48, that might be one way that the BYOD discount is still there without it being an accident. But it feels like that Koodo retention plan was a new plan that they created to keep people from jumping ship. I might be wrong, of course.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Oct 5, 2012
107 posts
65 upvotes
Edmonton
It isn't an old plan. It is a plan from November but I used to be on an old plan, and they must have accidentally left the discount on. I'm just not sure if the system will automatically remove the discount, which shouldn't be there in the first place, if I add a phone on the tab, which I want to do because I'm willing to take an older device they are trying to clear out. The discount doesn't show on my plan page, but shows on my bill.
Last edited by klatch on Feb 24th, 2017 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2706 upvotes
ON
I'd rather take $4.80/month cash in my pocket instead of virtual dollars on a "free" low end phone.
Assuming they don't remove it at a later date, at which point you might as well take advantage of a tab because that's the only bonus you're getting.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33721 posts
7361 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
wearysky wrote: I don't know how Koodo does "retention" plans, but I know that other carriers will (edit: sometimes, not always) actually put you on a new, different plan. If OP is still on their old plan, just with a retention discount applied to it to get the monthly fee down to $48, that might be one way that the BYOD discount is still there without it being an accident. But it feels like that Koodo retention plan was a new plan that they created to keep people from jumping ship. I might be wrong, of course.
Koodo doesn't offer retention plans, no discounts with expiry dates either.

Everything is done online. You change plans online. It is basically a small step above Public Mobile. The difference is that they offer a call centre, but you have to PAY when you call an agent to make changes to your account. Assuming that the changes can be done online. There are no sales staff, just technical staff. Therefore, no retention plans.

The plans are all available online, if they discontinue a plan, they remove the option from their website, but if your account is coded to that plan, it will stay there forever.

This is why the Manitoba $48 plan can exist outside of Manitoba. No one is looking at it.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
2455 posts
335 upvotes
Joliette
Gee wrote: Koodo doesn't offer retention plans, no discounts with expiry dates either.

Everything is done online. You change plans online. It is basically a small step above Public Mobile. The difference is that they offer a call centre, but you have to PAY when you call an agent to make changes to your account. Assuming that the changes can be done online. There are no sales staff, just technical staff. Therefore, no retention plans.

The plans are all available online, if they discontinue a plan, they remove the option from their website, but if your account is coded to that plan, it will stay there forever.

This is why the Manitoba $48 plan can exist outside of Manitoba. No one is looking at it.
That's not true, they've got retention plans if you get past the front line reps. Just nothing too fancy.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2013
19711 posts
9161 upvotes
Oakville
Gee wrote: Koodo doesn't offer retention plans, no discounts with expiry dates either.
Yeah, you obviously missed this thread then.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2013
19711 posts
9161 upvotes
Oakville
Gee wrote: The 8th post on that thread said rentention has only been around for a few months. Must be a new thing at Koodo.
In a relative sense, sure (when comparing to 2 year contract periods). But seems like it's been around for something like half a year or more, now, so not really *that* new any more :)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5286 posts
3765 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Gee wrote: The 8th post on that thread said rentention has only been around for a few months. Must be a new thing at Koodo.
That guy just meant that he himself has only been with Koodo for a few months. Koodo doesn't really have a retention, it's all based on what Koodo wants to do. For the past loyalty plans, it was all response to other carriers, I.e $40/4gb plan which they counter with $48/5gb. Koodo has traditionally never actually done retention offers the same way Fido or virgin does.
Newbie
Oct 24, 2015
2 posts
Scarborough, ON
Hi guys, I joint Koodo last Blk Friday and paid off my Tab on March, then I called customer service to get an extra GB for $2 and 10% discount, my question is if I am going to get a upgrade, my plan is good for both small and medium tab, will I lose the 10% for sure? thank you so much
Koodo $28 after tax 10GB plan 😎
[OP]
Jr. Member
Oct 5, 2012
107 posts
65 upvotes
Edmonton
CjRyan wrote: Hi guys, I joint Koodo last Blk Friday and paid off my Tab on March, then I called customer service to get an extra GB for $2 and 10% discount, my question is if I am going to get a upgrade, my plan is good for both small and medium tab, will I lose the 10% for sure? thank you so much
I don't think they were supposed to be giving out the 10% discount for no tab anymore when last black friday happened as the plans were already discounted to take in to account the fact that there was no discount for no tab. I suspect if you take a tab then you will lose the 10% discount and not get it back.

Top