• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2021 4:56 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2481 posts
479 upvotes

Koodo says my device will no longer be compatible

I recently bought a Moto G Power and I received the following Text message from Koodo today....What the heck... Is G Power that incompatible a device...I guess many RFDers bought it ... My last phone was ZTE Axon very old and never got this message from Koodo...

"As of March 16, your device will no longer be compatible with parts of our network in Winnipeg and Branden and you may experience reduced indoor calling coverage after this date.

To avoid voice service interruption, you'll need to upgrade to a new Koodo device on our award-winning network. 

To make this more affordable for you, we're giving you $100 off any new phone with a 2-year Koodo tab, and you may be able to keep your existing rate plan.*
To upgrade now with this special offer call 1-866-975-3058 between 8AM-11PM CST Monday to Friday, and between 9AM-6PM CST Saturday and Sunday.

Limited time offer. Conditions apply. You're included on the list for Koodo offers and deals. To be excluded, reply "unsubscribe" "
Last edited by Asker123 on Jan 28th, 2021 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
73 replies
Mar 2, 2017
202 posts
173 upvotes
Here's my best guess:
  • Koodo (Telus) still thinks you're using the ZTE Axon.
  • They're slowly shutdown their 3G equipment one area at a time and repurposing those frequencies to LTE. They're set to shutdown all 3G by the end of 2025, but it sounds like 3G in your area is just getting shutdown sooner.
  • Since they're thinking you'll soon have a phone that won't work, they're offing you a discount.

Something similar happened to me back when they shutdown the CDMA network. I had switched over to a HPSA phone years before, but I still kept my old CDMA flip phone around and occasionally switched back over to it if I was going somewhere and I didn't want to lug around a big phone that day. I guess I was switched over to the CDMA phone the day they audited my account as they sent me a warning saying my phone would no longer work and offered me a $100 off a new phone. I ended up picking up a new HPSA flip phone for basically free and gave it to a relative. But that was also back with the old tab system when there wasn't any commitment once the tab was cleared.
Mar 6, 2017
30 posts
6 upvotes
Slightly off topic but every time I sign in to my Speakout account a warning covers half the screen saying as of March 31/2021 I will no longer have service because I'm using a 2G device. My device is a Motorola XT1045 which according to the specs I've found has both 3G and LTE bands. Of course there's a link to buy a new device from them. Since it's just my second phone; mainly an alarm clock; and for various verification purposes I'm just going to wait it out.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4728 posts
1399 upvotes
0 downvotes
Dude thats a CDMA phone (The Moto G Power).
what are people doing still using CDMA or EV-DO Technology? thats so Millennium
Hi
Dec 4, 2017
587 posts
260 upvotes
GoodFellaz wrote: Dude thats a CDMA phone (The Moto G Power).
It's a 2020 phone.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19662 posts
9114 upvotes
Oakville
GoodFellaz wrote: Dude thats a CDMA phone (The Moto G Power).
I'm guessing OP is talking about this phone, which is referred to as the "G8 Power" outside of Canada (since we have no CDMA networks in Canada, the CDMA version of the G Power isn't sold here): https://www.costco.ca/motorola-moto-g-p ... 73567.html
Mar 2, 2017
202 posts
173 upvotes
Getting back to @Asker123's 3G/LTE question, I had one more thought. How old is your sim card? If you were issued a 3G card years ago and just inserted the old card in a new phone you bought outright at Costco or something, maybe that's why the network is seeing your phone as 3G.

Same thing for @frugalnotchintzy. Do you have an old 2G simcard?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2481 posts
479 upvotes
wearysky wrote: I'm guessing OP is talking about this phone, which is referred to as the "G8 Power" outside of Canada (since we have no CDMA networks in Canada, the CDMA version of the G Power isn't sold here): https://www.costco.ca/motorola-moto-g-p ... 73567.html
Yes , exactly this phone ... many Rfders bought this....
I dont know $shit about CDMA etc....
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2481 posts
479 upvotes
ddot98 wrote: Getting back to @Asker123's 3G/LTE question, I had one more thought. How old is your sim card? If you were issued a 3G card years ago and just inserted the old card in a new phone you bought outright at Costco or something, maybe that's why the network is seeing your phone as 3G.

Same thing for @frugalnotchintzy. Do you have an old 2G simcard?
I was on public mobile and moved to Koodo as part of their 2018 drive when they gave some good deal to move public mobile users to Koodo. That time Koodo had sent a new Sim called KOODO LTE TRIO SIM I had inserted that sim into my ZTE AXON A1 and was working perfect both voice call, internet everything.
I upgraded to this Moto G Power phone last month and now this message from Koodo. Not sure if I just need to ignore it.
I am also not sure that if someone changes phone, they need to call the service provider to get their device record updated. Is it something new out there.......
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19662 posts
9114 upvotes
Oakville
Asker123 wrote: I was on public mobile and moved to Koodo as part of their 2018 drive when they gave some good deal to move public mobile users to Koodo. That time Koodo had sent a new Sim called KOODO LTE TRIO SIM I had inserted that sim into my ZTE AXON A1 and was working perfect both voice call, internet everything.
I upgraded to this Moto G Power phone last month and now this message from Koodo. Not sure if I just need to ignore it.
I am also not sure that if someone changes phone, they need to call the service provider to get their device record updated. Is it something new out there.......
I'm pretty certain you can ignore it. My guess is that they did the account audit for this promotion some time before you switched phones.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2017
1232 posts
1035 upvotes
Calgary
Yeah I believe Telus is turning off 3G in certain areas, so if your phone doesn't support VOLTE (LTE calling) on their network you won't be able to make or receive calls in many areas. I don't see the Moto G8 on their list of compatible devices https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/volte
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2481 posts
479 upvotes
wearysky wrote: I'm pretty certain you can ignore it. My guess is that they did the account audit for this promotion some time before you switched phones.
OK . My wife also got same message . She switched to Moto G Power ( bought from Costco) from a blackberry Dtek 50.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19662 posts
9114 upvotes
Oakville
Asker123 wrote: OK . My wife also got same message . She switched to Moto G Power ( bought from Costco) from a blackberry Dtek 50.
Hrmm, I was just looking at the specs of your old phones, and they look to support pretty similar bands. So now I'm thinking maybe it's related to VOLTE specifically (which could absolutely be a problem - carriers are annoying about VOLTE support, it's becoming a new way for them to force customers to purchase phones directly from them). I'd double check to see if you're able to enable VOLTE on your phone or not.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2481 posts
479 upvotes
CanadianSpruce wrote: Yeah I believe Telus is turning off 3G in certain areas, so if your phone doesn't support VOLTE (LTE calling) on their network you won't be able to make or receive calls in many areas. I don't see the Moto G8 on their list of compatible devices https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/volte
wow... never knew this...
I checked the link you sent... Thanks for that
When I go to Settings > Network & internet > Mobile network > Preferred network type I only see 2G 3G and LTE(recommended) . as 3 options over there
Is this new VoLTE expected to be the fourth option in this menu? I dont have that.... Damn.... So at all .. not a Lava Hot deal as Rfders fell for @ CAD 250....
If this damn phone does not support a carrier's VoLTE whatever within 1 month of buying, good that I have COSTCO membership for a reason.....Not impressed
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2017
1232 posts
1035 upvotes
Calgary
Asker123 wrote: wow... never knew this...
When I go to Settings > Network & internet > Mobile network > Preferred network type I only see 2G 3G and LTE(recommended) . as 3 options over there
Is this new VoLTE expected to be the fourth option in this menu? I dont have that.... Damn.... So at all .. not a Lava Hot deal as Rfders fell for @ CAD 250....
If this damn phone does not support a carrier's VoLTE whatever within 1 month of buying, good that I have COSTCO membership for a reason.....Not impressed
VOLTE isn’t even really new to be honest (started to become common in 2016). Your phone will support VOLTE but just not on Telus. Unfortunately Android phones (with the exception of Samsung/LG/Google phones) don’t usually support VOLTE on a network unless it was bought from them and has their carrier software on it.
Jul 4, 2018
33 posts
22 upvotes
Ottawa
Asker123 wrote: wow... never knew this...
You wouldn't see VoLTE under that network type setting. For me (on a Pixel), there's a VoLTE On/Off slider under mobile network settings. But my preferred network type is still set to LTE (recommended).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2481 posts
479 upvotes
called Koodo.
First Rep gave wrong information that G Power is compatible and after putting me on hold ( to talk to another dept) told me that they have enabled it for me and that he will send me a link for instructions. Idiot sent me a generic help page of t-mobile( look at the incompetancy... sigh...)

Called for my wife’s phone and second rep told that thsi device is not compatible. when we told that how come first rep told us that it was, new guy told that first one misspoke. Nevertheless he told to check the network setting to see if LTE ( recommended) is selected. when we said yes, he said all is good and he will still tell his tech dept as to why this phone is not in compatible list.

Later searching on internet I found that dialing *#*#4636#*#* then phone information can tell you if carrier has enabled VoLTE provisioning and WiFi Provisioning or not. Both ar greyed out on G Power

Not sure what is next step for me. Call seems working currently but the text message said that after March 16 there could be issues.
So should I just return it to Costco ? and buy the cheaper Moto G Fast which btw is in compatible list for Koodo ( so strange)
I like this phone and wants to keep it. Its battery is very powerful and it has 4 GB ram than 3 GB of Moto G Fast.

Its been a month since we bought two phones. I do not like to abuse return policy of Costco. Is it a valid reason to return the phone?
We are on a good plan with Koodo ( $35 for 4 GB data per month ) and dont want to switch carrier just for this reason.. we dont use that much mobile data though...
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19662 posts
9114 upvotes
Oakville
Asker123 wrote: Not sure what is next step for me. Call seems working currently but the text message said that after March 16 there could be issues.
So should I just return it to Costco ? and buy the cheaper Moto G Fast which btw is in compatible list for Koodo ( so strange)
I like this phone and wants to keep it. Its battery is very powerful and it has 4 GB ram than 3 GB of Moto G Fast.

Its been a month since we bought two phones. I do not like to abuse return policy of Costco. Is it a valid reason to return the phone?
We are on a good plan with Koodo ( $35 for 4 GB data per month ) and dont want to switch carrier just for this reason.. we dont use that much mobile data though...
Sounds like March 16th is when they're shutting down the 3G network in your area, so I'd expect your stuff to work fine till then.

I think "the phone won't work with my carrier any more" is a pretty solid reason to return the phone to CostCo personally, but that's just me.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2481 posts
479 upvotes
wearysky wrote: Sounds like March 16th is when they're shutting down the 3G network in your area, so I'd expect your stuff to work fine till then.

I think "the phone won't work with my carrier any more" is a pretty solid reason to return the phone to CostCo personally, but that's just me.
Yes, Guess thats what I will do it seems
Has anyone tried and got successful in convincing the carrier to add any phone as compatible ( if the phone provides VoLTE) functionality ?
I can try calling Koodo again but not sure if they will budge