Koodo - swap numbers from byop to postpaid

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2021 12:56 pm
[OP]
Feb 9, 2018
10 posts
7 upvotes

Koodo - swap numbers from byop to postpaid

I would like to take advantage of Koodo's current sale on BYOP deals. $50 for 10GB. I would like to keep my phone number also. Been reading here about porting to PM then back to Koodo. I would like to try this. Here are the steps I need to do, please confirm they are correct. My phone was paid off last month.

1. Purchase new Koodo sim card by adding a new line to my Koodo account and selecting the byop deal. I currently have 2 lines on this account, my wife's is the other.
2. When sim card received do I have to install it in another phone to activate it? If yes, I will do so.
3. After sim card is activated, port number I want to keep to Public Mobile new prepaid account.
4. Once prepaid account is active (how to check?), port prepaid account phone number from PM back to Koodo postpaid byop line.
3 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
22901 posts
4378 upvotes
Toronto
^ you pretty much nailed it...

Here are my thoughts on your questions:

1. Yup
2. Not entirely sure if you need to pop the sim into a phone to activate it (it should be active as long as you see it online within your account). It doesn't hurt to pop it into a phone to test it out.
3. Yup - just make sure you fill in all the correct info when porting onto PM. You port your Koodo# using PM's webpage (porting function).
4. As long as you see your PM# online (with your Koodo#) - then it is ported correctly. I think you will receive a txt on your PM sim/phone that the port was successful. So definitely pop your PM sim into a phone.

And then, yup - just port you PM# onto your new Koodo BYOP line using Koodo's port function.

GL!

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
[OP]
Feb 9, 2018
10 posts
7 upvotes
OK, thanks. Step 1 has been done. Should I wait for the new Koodo SIM or can I now go and create the PM account and order their new SIM?
For the PM plan I see they have a province wide plan for $15 with no data. Would this be ok to use?
I can't seem to determine if all these PM plans are postpaid or prepaid. Does it matter in this case?
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
22901 posts
4378 upvotes
Toronto
You can order PM sim and set up the online account in parallel while you wait for the new Koodo sim/line.

Pick the cheapest PM plan.

All PM plans are prepaid.

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0