• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2021 9:34 am
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 2, 2018
331 posts
3094 upvotes

Koodo Tab bal clarification help

Need some help here, Recently I have ported to Fido from koodo and this mornjng i see the below on my two lines and its huge.
Line - 1
Tab Bobus Debit - Cancellation - $224.57
Tab Debit - Cancellation - $110
Tab charge - $10

Line - 2
Loyalty Credit - -$4.42
Tab Bonus Debit - Cancellation - $187.82
Tab Debit - Cancellation - $70
Tab Charge - $5

Actually when I called my outstanding Tab bal was ($70+$110) which I should see in the final bill is what being said, since got a better deal from Fido which they could not match I have ported. What would be the advice to do next.
9 replies
Jul 15, 2003
730 posts
265 upvotes
Ottawa
If you ported out from Koodo before your 24 months is up they also charge you a pro-rated amount for any phone discount you received when you signed up.

I'm assuming that is the extra fees you are seeing.
[OP]
Apr 2, 2018
331 posts
3094 upvotes
rodenti wrote: If you ported out from Koodo before your 24 months is up they also charge you a pro-rated amount for any phone discount you received when you signed up.

What if I end up only pay the tab bal owed $180 + tax.
What if I end up paying only the Tab bal owed, $180+ taxes
I'm assuming that is the extra fees you are seeing.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3900 posts
2434 upvotes
Vancouver
CrackTheDeal wrote: What if I end up only pay the tab bal owed $180 + tax.
What if I end up paying only the Tab bal owed, $180+ taxes
https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/Tab-bonus

Basically every month your tab is reduce by 1/24 the initial amount. If your phone was $600, that would mean it drops $25 a month. So however month you have left in your 24 month contract = months * 25 * tax. You would be responsible for whatever amount is left if you leave your contract early. That should be in the agreement you signed when you initially signed the contract.

Based on your numbers, i believe you owe $324.57 on line 1 and $257.82 on line 2 (plus taxes for both figures).

This is from Koodo site FAQ
Do I pay towards the Tab Bonus, similar to the Tab?
No, you do not make monthly payments to reduce your Tab Bonus balance, because it automatically reduces every month. You’ll just have to pay back the remaining Tab Bonus balance if you cancel, upgrade, or change to an ineligible rate plan before the balance reaches $0.
[OP]
Apr 2, 2018
331 posts
3094 upvotes
Paigne wrote: https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/Tab-bonus

Basically every month your tab is reduce by 1/24 the initial amount. If your phone was $600, that would mean it drops $25 a month. So however month you have left in your 24 month contract = months * 25 * tax. You would be responsible for whatever amount is left if you leave your contract early. That should be in the agreement you signed when you initially signed the contract.

Based on your numbers, i believe you owe $324.57 on line 1 and $257.82 on line 2 (plus taxes for both figures).

This is from Koodo site FAQ
What is the best way to get out of this?
When I wanted to Port the havent matched the plan and didn't bother to callback. Any better suggestions here, Today when I called the CSR is not listening as I'm no more their customer.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1621 posts
2338 upvotes
West
CrackTheDeal wrote: What is the best way to get out of this?
When I wanted to Port the havent matched the plan and didn't bother to callback. Any better suggestions here, Today when I called the CSR is not listening as I'm no more their customer.
There is no way out of it - it's explicitly written in the contract that this will happen. The discount you initially got on your phone was under the condition you would use them as your service provider for at least 2 years. Besides, Koodo wouldn't even goodwill that amount for current customers; what makes you think they'll do it for a customer that just left? Usually a good idea to read up on what you'd be held liable/responsible for before you break any contract.

Koodo patched this loophole after people (all of us) were abusing their system to get essentially free phones. It sadly just hasn't been the same since.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3900 posts
2434 upvotes
Vancouver
CrackTheDeal wrote: What is the best way to get out of this?
There really isn’t any way out of it. You signed the agreement when you signed up to the plan so it’s a binding contract. All 3 (or 4 if you count Shaw) big telecommunications company offer free devices to lock you in these contracts and require a sizeable payment if you exit early to ensure most customers stay the entire 2 years (and they get the monthly payments for 24 months). It’s one reason some prefer to buy their own unlock devices instead of locking themselves into said contracts.
Jan 16, 2017
9 posts
11 upvotes
yeah I wanted to renew early to get a new phone and the csr said I would have to pay the big discount I had gotten on the original phone on top of the tab. It used to be different but to many people buying phones at a discount and cancelling early.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5767 posts
5265 upvotes
Tab balance + original discount is what you owe if you port out before your contract is done.

Sorry, but the numbers seem correct
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
1939 posts
1810 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
No way to get out. Pay what's due, learn your lesson and move on. You shouldn't have ported without finding out everything.
😎Thanks RFD😎