• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2019 4:27 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2015
2606 posts
1569 upvotes

Koodo tab for existing customers

If I plan to keep my plan, can I buy a phone on tab , pay it off, and buy another phone on tab, repeat?

I understand that the new rule applies to people who want to buy and port. How about for existing customers ?
13 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17259 posts
3504 upvotes
Toronto
From what I have seen in the new contracts, all customers who do a phone upgrade after August 24 will have to pay off the tab and outstanding phone credit before upgrading again.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2015
2606 posts
1569 upvotes
audit13 wrote: From what I have seen in the new contracts, all customers who do a phone upgrade after August 24 will have to pay off the tab and outstanding phone credit before upgrading again.
That's for cancelling the service I think.

If you cancel your service or if Koodo terminates the Agreement in accordance with the Service Terms, any Tab balance plus the phone credit balance becomes due and payable. All other charges owing to Koodo for use of the service will remain due upon the termination of this Agreement. The remaining Tab balance and phone credit balance will be calculated based on an equal monthly reduction over a 24-month period.

Anyone yet to pay off a tab early to do an upgrade
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17259 posts
3504 upvotes
Toronto
Afaik, there is a separate clause for upgrades in the new contract that deals with upgrades before the 24 month anniversary date.

If Koodo allowed people to keep upgrading because they don't cancel, this would defeat the purpose of shutting out the churners that keep getting phones to flip.

This has been discussed here: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/koodo-ch ... 257860/61/
Images
  • 89C7725D-6FBF-43FB-B993-E9EAEBC7EF9B.jpeg
Sep 23, 2019
15 posts
1 upvote
Victoria, BC
I totally understand Koodo's position, phone flippers were probably driving the company crazy. That being said, Koodo's new strategies for enticing new customers make me scratch my head. Just saw an add today for getting a set of LG active BT headphones with an LG G6, which can be purchased for $0 on a Tab Small. Not a bad deal (even if it is a 2017 phone), but they're also charging $880 retail... so if you want to cancel the contract or upgrade, the prorated phone cost will be REALLY high. Kind of an underhanded tactic to sign new subscribers and ensure that it's inconvenient to cancel...
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1676 posts
410 upvotes
Mississauga
new rule applies to everyone
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20372 posts
8415 upvotes
Toronto
Androidmarshmellow wrote: That's for cancelling the service I think.

If you cancel your service or if Koodo terminates the Agreement in accordance with the Service Terms, any Tab balance plus the phone credit balance becomes due and payable. All other charges owing to Koodo for use of the service will remain due upon the termination of this Agreement. The remaining Tab balance and phone credit balance will be calculated based on an equal monthly reduction over a 24-month period.

Anyone yet to pay off a tab early to do an upgrade
When you get a new phone, you are deemed to have started a new agreement and the previous agreement is ended. If you have not waited 24 months to work down the credits for the phone, they will do a clawback. If you are interested in phone churning with Koodo, you picked a really bad time as the terms were changed only a month ago.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, EQ Bank, Simplii
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20372 posts
8415 upvotes
Toronto
leibeundtod wrote: I totally understand Koodo's position, phone flippers were probably driving the company crazy. That being said, Koodo's new strategies for enticing new customers make me scratch my head. Just saw an add today for getting a set of LG active BT headphones with an LG G6, which can be purchased for $0 on a Tab Small. Not a bad deal (even if it is a 2017 phone), but they're also charging $880 retail... so if you want to cancel the contract or upgrade, the prorated phone cost will be REALLY high. Kind of an underhanded tactic to sign new subscribers and ensure that it's inconvenient to cancel...
And you "understand" Koodo's position? I don't want to understand it anymore.
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Sep 23, 2019
15 posts
1 upvote
Victoria, BC
Lol, 'understand' is definitely a relative term, meaning 'I understand Koodo trying to protect corporate interests whilst at the same time acknowledging that there were so many better ways of fixing the issue that wouldn't screw over and alienate a once-loyal customer base'.
Mar 30, 2010
316 posts
167 upvotes
Calgary
I mean, aren't they just like every other wireless provider now?
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20372 posts
8415 upvotes
Toronto
gingersb wrote: I mean, aren't they just like every other wireless provider now?
Some providers offer a bundled price that includes a phone. They also offer BYOD pricing. Koodo plans are exclusively BYOD. Overnight, they went from arguably the best to the absolute worse.
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Sep 2, 2019
6 posts
3 upvotes
Hasn't it always been the case that a Tab balance must be paid off before a phone upgrade?
What is actually changing?
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2836 posts
1308 upvotes
Mississauga
MoneyPython wrote: Hasn't it always been the case that a Tab balance must be paid off before a phone upgrade?
What is actually changing?
Rules changed Aug 25/26 of this year. In addition to the tab balance, Koodo now has a phone credit that will show on your account.

The phone credit was previously the activation credit but they have modified the terms. The phone credit is now divided into 24 months and slowly goes down in value to ensure the plan or account stays active for 24 months. If you cancel or downgrade to a different plan tab then you have to pay back the phone credit depending on how many months are left. An example is If you cancel after 12 months then you pay Koodo half of the phone credit.
Sep 2, 2019
6 posts
3 upvotes
bubuski wrote: Rules changed Aug 25/26 of this year. In addition to the tab balance, Koodo now has a phone credit that will show on your account.

The phone credit was previously the activation credit but they have modified the terms. The phone credit is now divided into 24 months and slowly goes down in value to ensure the plan or account stays active for 24 months. If you cancel or downgrade to a different plan tab then you have to pay back the phone credit depending on how many months are left. An example is If you cancel after 12 months then you pay Koodo half of the phone credit.
I hear what the person above said about weeding out phone flippers but may seem shady for some.