Cell Phones

[Koodo] Tutorial - Maximizing Referrals 2018 Onwards

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2019 12:26 pm
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
11208 posts
10226 upvotes
monarchwest wrote: I received a similar email yesterday for 2 lines that I cancelled over a month ago. I didn't use them for any referrals except self-referrals. I have no plans to try to test their system as I still have an open line with lots of referral room, but go ahead and let us know if it works. Their referral system is very unpredictable it seems.
Same here... I will test their referral system when I max'ed out all my active lines. Then, it does not hurt to build up bill credits for future churning.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $37 5GB, $13 250MB, 2x $8 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
11208 posts
10226 upvotes
We knew that the SIM card fee will be replaced by the $30 connection fee. But Koodo is moving the connection fee to be charged on the first invoice. I cannot get a discount on the connection fee like the SIM card fee. I cannot even pay for it using my PCO pts.

I got an iPhone SE today $120 upfront small tab with 350k pts(200k base + 100k weekend bonus + 50k). You guys are better getting used to initial the $30 connection fee on your new phone contracts. Haha!
Public Mobile $37 5GB, $13 250MB, 2x $8 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan,
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19295 posts
7411 upvotes
Toronto
embguy wrote: Koodo referral system is still thinking the canceled main number is still active unless it checks the active account only.

I noticed that the approval process is automated. My last self-referral was approved within 1 minutes after entering my new phone number. If this is true, it may work.
I think the final step depositing bill credit is still done manually.
Since you seem very well educated on the Koodo referral system, I need some advice. I have bunch of referrals that have been approved but not paid. Is it safe for me to change a phone number on the referring line before actually receiving payment. Since it was quite the mad rush to get those $100 referrals through the system, I did self referrals and referred others before I had a chance to do any number porting. At the time, I did not consider ramifications only that I needed to act quickly before the $100 referral deal ends. Since then I am kind of regretting not taking things slowly one step at a time. I am concerned that if I do a number port now before receiving the payment, whoever does that final manual verification is going to find the number that was submitted to complete the referral is no longer active in the system and they will reverse the verified status on the referrals. Can this happen or am I fear mongering here?

BTW, many of my referrals was approved on March 9 and subsequent days. So I am starting week 7 of waiting. Do they purposely drag the payment process out to ensure that lines remain active for the required duration? The one thing I am really pissed about how they administer the $300 limit is that they don't do partial awards and will deem a referral inadmissible if the payout will cause a line to exceed the $300 limit. I have a line that needs $25 to reach $300. It is next to impossible to get a $25 referrals and now with referrals at $50, I cannot refer anyone because it will be denied anyway.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB, $28 RBC 5GB promo
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet, $10/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
12250 posts
8880 upvotes
%s
embguy wrote: We knew that the SIM card fee will be replaced by the $30 connection fee. But Koodo is moving the connection fee to be charged on the first invoice. I cannot get a discount on the connection fee like the SIM card fee. I cannot even pay for it using my PCO pts.

I got an iPhone SE today $120 upfront small tab with 350k pts(200k base + 100k weekend bonus + 50k). You guys are better getting used to initial the $30 connection fee on your new phone contracts. Haha!
Good on you. I was seriously considering grabbing phones today. Sadly, gonna hold off until my fraudulently redeemed PCO pts are made liquid on my new PCO pts account. Once I get access to my missing points, I'll have groceries covered into June.
will888 wrote: Since you seem very well educated on the Koodo referral system, I need some advice. I have bunch of referrals that have been approved but not paid. Is it safe for me to change a phone number on the referring line before actually receiving payment. Since it was quite the mad rush to get those $100 referrals through the system, I did self referrals and referred others before I had a chance to do any number porting. At the time, I did not consider ramifications only that I needed to act quickly before the $100 referral deal ends. Since then I am kind of regretting not taking things slowly one step at a time. I am concerned that if I do a number port now before receiving the payment, whoever does that final manual verification is going to find the number that was submitted to complete the referral is no longer active in the system and they will reverse the verified status on the referrals. Can this happen or am I fear mongering here?

BTW, many of my referrals was approved on March 9 and subsequent days. So I am starting week 7 of waiting. Do they purposely drag the payment process out to ensure that lines remain active for the required duration? The one thing I am really pissed about how they administer the $300 limit is that they don't do partial awards and will deem a referral inadmissible if the payout will cause a line to exceed the $300 limit. I have a line that needs $25 to reach $300. It is next to impossible to get a $25 referrals and now with referrals at $50, I cannot refer anyone because it will be denied anyway.
@will888 the checkbox confirming that you're set on your number when completing the referral offer is new to all of us. As per OP, you can port numbers in, and then reach out to report this to refer a friend to make sure you get your credits.

Not to defend Koodo, but the $300 per user cap certainly isn't discouraging us churners. With the nicely rounded down device balances and other perks, it's still RFDers' main go-to carrier for phone devices.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home. Hackers keep changing my location to Leask.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
11208 posts
10226 upvotes
will888 wrote: Since you seem very well educated on the Koodo referral system, I need some advice. I have bunch of referrals that have been approved but not paid. Is it safe for me to change a phone number on the referring line before actually receiving payment. Since it was quite the mad rush to get those $100 referrals through the system, I did self referrals and referred others before I had a chance to do any number porting. At the time, I did not consider ramifications only that I needed to act quickly before the $100 referral deal ends. Since then I am kind of regretting not taking things slowly one step at a time. I am concerned that if I do a number port now before receiving the payment, whoever does that final manual verification is going to find the number that was submitted to complete the referral is no longer active in the system and they will reverse the verified status on the referrals. Can this happen or am I fear mongering here?

Good question. Your PM migration situation is different from mine. When I churns Koodo phones, I do not port number to Koodo.

Yesterday, I noticed the acknowledgement of using the number after porting before supplying your number for the last step of referral process. But this applies to the people who referred by you.

I read the rules quickly and did not see anything about the your situation.
https://referafriend.koodomobile.com/common/rules.pg

The Koodo email, informing you about the bill credit deposited to your account, has a reference to the phone number for the credit. Therefore, they must be checking the phone number. Since it costs you $300, it is better to wait after you get your bill credit before porting your number from PM. If Koodo and PM are giving you hard time for not porting your PM number to Koodo, you have a valid reason to delay your port. IMHO, it is easier to deal with issue with only your accounts. For the referral front, you may need to provide 3 people name, phone number and email address to Koodo to fight for the bill credit. For me, I will wait another 1 or 2 weeks.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19295 posts
7411 upvotes
Toronto
embguy wrote: Good question. Your PM migration situation is different from mine. When I churns Koodo phones, I do not port number to Koodo.

Yesterday, I noticed the acknowledgement of using the number after porting before supplying your number for the last step of referral process. But this applies to the people who referred by you.

I read the rules quickly and did not see anything about the your situation.
https://referafriend.koodomobile.com/common/rules.pg

The Koodo email, informing you about the bill credit deposited to your account, has a reference to the phone number for the credit. Therefore, they must be checking the phone number. Since it costs you $300, it is better to wait after you get your bill credit before porting your number from PM. If Koodo and PM are giving you hard time for not porting your PM number to Koodo, you have a valid reason to delay your port. IMHO, it is easier to deal with issue with only your accounts. For the referral front, you may need to provide 3 people name, phone number and email address to Koodo to fight for the bill credit. For me, I will wait another 1 or 2 weeks.
I am definitely not going to do anything on my end to rock the boat. I cannot do anything about the parties I referred as many I don't even know. The fact that they drag their feet for months on the payout means there are many ways for the payout to fall between the cracks. This whole program seems less than savory. The ToS should be much clearer on parameters.
Tangerine Bank
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
12250 posts
8880 upvotes
%s
will888 wrote: I am definitely not going to do anything on my end to rock the boat. I cannot do anything about the parties I referred as many I don't even know. The fact that they drag their feet for months on the payout means there are many ways for the payout to fall between the cracks. This whole program seems less than savory. The ToS should be much clearer on parameters.
Sadly, it's a promo credit that isn't outlined in the agreement, therefore there's virtually no accountability. We can only hope that Koodo won't fudge this for us.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home. Hackers keep changing my location to Leask.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19295 posts
7411 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote: Sadly, it's a promo credit that isn't outlined in the agreement, therefore there's virtually no accountability. We can only hope that Koodo won't fudge this for us.
no accountability = let's be as scummy as possible. I haven't gone as far as bending over for them, but I do have vaseline in hand and ready to fight with them if I have to.
Tangerine Bank
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
11208 posts
10226 upvotes
Off Topic

Talk about Scummy...

There is a Koodo practice which I do not agree. It is in place to get more money from people leaving Koodo.

When you port your Koodo number to another carrier, they will send you an email saying that your service will be canceled at the end of your current billing period. Koodo is counting on the outgoing subscribers are not doing anything and pockets the partial month payment without providing any service.

When I called them why Koodo is doing this, Koodo CSR told me that they are waiting for the outgoing subscriber to call back after the number is working before canceling. If you don't call right away, they will charge you to the end of the current billing period. Their reason for this practice: If the number was not ported correctly and never reached the intended carrier, the number will be gone if Koodo canceled the subscriber number. I think this is BS.

Even if you ported a Koodo number to another carrier, you should call right away to stop the charge after the number is ported to your new carrier. Since you have to call anyway, better to call right away than wait after getting your final invoice.
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
12250 posts
8880 upvotes
%s
embguy wrote: Off Topic

Talk about Scummy...

There is a Koodo practice which I do not agree. It is in place to get more money from people leaving Koodo.

When you port your Koodo number to another carrier, they will send you an email saying that your service will be canceled at the end of your current billing period. Koodo is counting on the outgoing subscribers are not doing anything and pockets the partial month payment without providing any service.

When I called them why Koodo is doing this, Koodo CSR told me that they are waiting for the outgoing subscriber to call back after the number is working before canceling. If you don't call right away, they will charge you to the end of the current billing period. Their reason for this practice: If the number was not ported correctly and never reached the intended carrier, the number will be gone if Koodo canceled the subscriber number. I think this is BS.

Even if you ported a Koodo number to another carrier, you should call right away to stop the charge after the number is ported to your new carrier. Since you have to call anyway, better to call right away than wait after getting your final invoice.
Haven't had that issue yet. Used to be a common practice for Rogers afaik. Good to be on the lookout for that with any carrier.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19295 posts
7411 upvotes
Toronto
embguy wrote: Off Topic

Talk about Scummy...

Isn't this against the wireless code?
Tangerine Bank
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19295 posts
7411 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote: Haven't had that issue yet. Used to be a common practice for Rogers afaik. Good to be on the lookout for that with any carrier.
Not any more. I did a Rogers port at the end of last year. The billing stopped at exactly the right date.
Tangerine Bank
Oct 5, 2017
321 posts
94 upvotes

After we get the bill credits from the referrals, do we get a cheque if we port to another network?
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
12250 posts
8880 upvotes
%s
will888 wrote: Not any more. I did a Rogers port at the end of last year. The billing stopped at exactly the right date.
I said "used to". End of last year is as recent as yesterday in the Canadian wireless landscape.
Chandlerparsons wrote: After we get the bill credits from the referrals, do we get a cheque if we port to another network?
If you have an account balance of an outstanding credit of more than $20, then yes. We churners usually keep the account alive (add more lines) and continue to rake referral credits. No credits can be awarded on a closed account (but can be awarded on cancelled lines as long as the account remains active).
Oct 5, 2017
321 posts
94 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote: I said "used to". End of last year is as recent as yesterday in the Canadian wireless landscape.

If you have an account balance of an outstanding credit of more than $20, then yes. We churners usually keep the account alive (add more lines) and continue to rake referral credits. No credits can be awarded on a closed account (but can be awarded on cancelled lines as long as the account remains active).
So what's the process prior to porting to another network to get the cheque?