[Koodo] Tutorial - Maximizing Referrals 2018 Onwards

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2019 12:26 pm
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19183 posts
7275 upvotes
Toronto
I have interesting situation going on in my account and I need some seasoned veterans to tell me what I expect to happen on the referral front. I have one account that has had 4 lines since March 2018. Each of the lines except 1 has picked up the eligible reward for the year. I intend to move two of these lines out of the account at month end, leaving 2. In the mean time, I have picked up a new line which has picked up its eligible rewards. These new rewards are approved but not paid. At the moment, I do have 5 lines in the account which can support the future rewards payment expected to commence in October. With the anticipated removal of two lines, will that disqualify my upcoming rewards payout?

The reason why I ask is because of the example Koodo has used in explaining the rules where they say an account can have up to 7 lines each earning $300 rewards per year for an account total of $2,100. They don't say anything about the instantaneous line count as if things are static and this sample account will forever contain 7 lines. Maybe I am being paranoid and playing out worst case scenarios. On the flip side, if Koodo was like Public Mobile which restricts one line to one account, things would be straightforward. The new line would reside in its own account and is not affected by other accounts. To that end the rewards are secure. Whether lines are in one account or many accounts, the final reward outcome should be identical.

I don't want to make an irreversible mistake in about 10 days time and cause a major financial loss. If anybody has an "active" account that have churned lines and earned rewards, I would appreciate if you could chime in with past experiences. I am looking for real outcomes, not so much what if scenarios. I have been pretty good with making up outcomes on my own.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB, $28 RBC 5GB promo
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet, $10/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Aug 30, 2015
374 posts
331 upvotes
BC
setlist wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 4:33 pm
I'm a little confused with setting up the parent/child relationship - I want one consolidated bill and I have 4 accounts being migrated to Koodo:

Here's what I've done so far:-
1) Got a referral for Line-1, signed up, ported the number. Line-1 is now fully ported and works fine. I then completed the referral process.
2) Using my Line-1 Koodo account I gave three of my alternative email addresses referrals for Line-2, Line-3 and Line-4.
3) I then signed up with each alternative email for Line-2, Line-3 and Line-4.
4) I'm now waiting for the Line-2, Line-3 and Line-4 sim cards to arrive in the mail.

What confuses me in the tutorial is this “Note: when you add a line, dealer adds it to your existing account, with same email address. That's fine, since you as the subscriber will setup the parent/child self-serve logins afterwards.”

When I get the next three sim cards, they’re each sign up for using a different distinct email (similar to using 33mail in the tutorial) so will they be added to my existing account “with same email address”. I feel like I might have messed up. Should I have only used the distinct email addresses for the referral, and actually ordered the sim cards using the same email address as for Line-1? If I did mess up, is there a way I can course correct when the sim cards arrive?

Thanks!
Any advice on this would be much much appreciated! I'm dreading the idea of having 4 separate bills to pay each month!
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19183 posts
7275 upvotes
Toronto
setlist wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 4:33 pm
I'm a little confused with setting up the parent/child relationship - I want one consolidated bill and I have 4 accounts being migrated to Koodo:

Here's what I've done so far:-
1) Got a referral for Line-1, signed up, ported the number. Line-1 is now fully ported and works fine. I then completed the referral process.
2) Using my Line-1 Koodo account I gave three of my alternative email addresses referrals for Line-2, Line-3 and Line-4.
3) I then signed up with each alternative email for Line-2, Line-3 and Line-4.
4) I'm now waiting for the Line-2, Line-3 and Line-4 sim cards to arrive in the mail.

What confuses me in the tutorial is this “Note: when you add a line, dealer adds it to your existing account, with same email address. That's fine, since you as the subscriber will setup the parent/child self-serve logins afterwards.”

When I get the next three sim cards, they’re each sign up for using a different distinct email (similar to using 33mail in the tutorial) so will they be added to my existing account “with same email address”. I feel like I might have messed up. Should I have only used the distinct email addresses for the referral, and actually ordered the sim cards using the same email address as for Line-1? If I did mess up, is there a way I can course correct when the sim cards arrive?

Thanks!
I will explain how I managed my way around this. I also used alternate email addresses to collect the self referrals. When I order the subsequent lines, they were done from within the account. When the order is filled, it is added to the account that made the purchase. When it comes to claiming the referral reward, I have to go to the emails sent to the other email addresses to claim the reward. Those alternate email addresses will get an invite to also issue referrals. I use the links from this invite emails to register for referrals. During the registration process, these alternate emails are then associated with the account as so called account managers. The original email address for the first line is assigned account owner status. When all is said and done, I have one account owner email address and a boat load of account manager email addresses. Each of these email addresses can actually be used to login to the account. On the refer a friend site, each email address login goes to its own set of referrals. There you can manage the issuing of referrals.
Tangerine Bank
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19183 posts
7275 upvotes
Toronto
@titaniumtux , the FAQ says referral credits are not transferred with a transfer of responsibility. I assume you mean the credits that have been awarded into the account. In the current payment regime where the payment is metered over 5 months, I would assume that if a transfer of responsibility is done in mid stride while the referral credits are still flowing, the tap would stop as the line has disappeared from the account. We are going to need some validation and update based on the revised referral payouts.
Tangerine Bank
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
11669 posts
8288 upvotes
Hacked. not Leask
will888 wrote:
Sep 19th, 2018 5:05 pm
@titaniumtux , the FAQ says referral credits are not transferred with a transfer of responsibility. I assume you mean the credits that have been awarded into the account. In the current payment regime where the payment is metered over 5 months, I would assume that if a transfer of responsibility is done in mid stride while the referral credits are still flowing, the tap would stop as the line has disappeared from the account. We are going to need some validation and update based on the revised referral payouts.
@will888 we'll need some data points, then I'll update OP accordingly.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home. Hackers keep changing my location to Leask.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Aug 30, 2015
374 posts
331 upvotes
BC
Thanks for the detailed response!
will888 wrote:
Sep 19th, 2018 5:00 pm
When I order the subsequent lines, they were done from within the account. When the order is filled, it is added to the account that made the purchase. When it comes to claiming the referral reward, I have to go to the emails sent to the other email addresses to claim the reward.
This is where I may have messed up, as it differs from your approach. When I ordered the 3 subsequent lines I did them in an incognito window not logged into the original account. Does this mean I failed to establish the parent connection and will just have to deal with 4 separate unlinked bills?
Aug 30, 2015
374 posts
331 upvotes
BC
setlist wrote:
Sep 19th, 2018 6:08 pm
This is where I may have messed up, as it differs from your approach. When I ordered the 3 subsequent lines I did them in an incognito window not logged into the original account. Does this mean I failed to establish the parent connection and will just have to deal with 4 separate unlinked bills?
Well, that was coincidental, Koodo just called me and said they noticed I was the same person on all 3 new lines - and asked if I wanted to instead have them merged onto one email. I said to go ahead with that.

She said there would only be one account with one email address - so I possibly have lost my ability to have a "boatload of account manager email addresses"? I guess I'll find out when I set it all up.
Jan 4, 2009
231 posts
68 upvotes
Calgary
setlist wrote:
Sep 19th, 2018 7:32 pm
Well, that was coincidental, Koodo just called me and said they noticed I was the same person on all 3 new lines - and asked if I wanted to instead have them merged onto one email. I said to go ahead with that.

She said there would only be one account with one email address - so I possibly have lost my ability to have a "boatload of account manager email addresses"? I guess I'll find out when I set it all up.
To refer out from line 2, 3, 4, you'll need to setup separate logins using those email addresses Those will become your account manager email addresses. Only necessary if you intend on using those other lines to refer out, or if you have family members that you want access to the account
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19183 posts
7275 upvotes
Toronto
setlist wrote:
Sep 19th, 2018 7:32 pm

Koodo web store to the rescue! Say yes please. When they put all the lines into one account and you claim each of the three referrals and register the emails for refer a friend, this will enable your three other email addresses to be account managers. Each time you add an email address as account manager, you will get an email to the owner email asking for permission for these new account managers. Do that in role management and you are done. Going forward, when you refer, each email login to refer a friend will yield a unique sequence. The referrals will be assigned to each line. You gotta get out pen and paper or electronic edition of same to keep track of things. Don't issue more than $300 from any one line in a calendar year.
Tangerine Bank
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2010
2721 posts
3250 upvotes
If you're referred by someone, does that original credit count towards the $300 limit?

So many pages to read through and I don't have time at work to go through it all

Also what's all the role management stuff?
I've been referring on my 2nd and 3rd lines without ever having to go change anything in role management
Koodo, Fido, Telus, Public Mobile, Virgin customer.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
10967 posts
10032 upvotes
NavieM wrote:
Sep 21st, 2018 8:00 pm
If you're referred by someone, does that original credit count towards the $300 limit?
Yes
So many pages to read through and I don't have time at work to go through it all

Also what's all the role management stuff?
I've been referring on my 2nd and 3rd lines without ever having to go change anything in role management
If you want the second and third lines to refer out, you need to do the role management.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $37 5GB, $13 250MB, 2x $8 50min/50text, Fido $10 4GB data only plan,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2010
2721 posts
3250 upvotes
embguy wrote:
Sep 21st, 2018 8:37 pm
Yes

If you want the second and third lines to refer out, you need to do the role management.
Does that mean all the ones I already did were wasted?
I got 5 on each line that I did
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
10967 posts
10032 upvotes
NavieM wrote:
Sep 21st, 2018 8:41 pm
Does that mean all the ones I already did were wasted?
I got 5 on each line that I did
How can you got 5 referral on each line?
You need to create a referral account for each line. The link between each line and its referral account is the unique email address.
Public Mobile $37 5GB, $13 250MB, 2x $8 50min/50text, Fido $10 4GB data only plan,
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2010
2721 posts
3250 upvotes
embguy wrote:
Sep 21st, 2018 8:52 pm
How can you got 5 referral on each line?
You need to create a referral account for each line. The link between each line and its referral account is the unique email address.
Yeah so after I signed up for the new numbers, I created a new account on the Koodo website with the second and third email addresses I used.
After that I was able to login to Koodo and the referral website with all 3 emails I used for my account. I didn't have to do anything with Role Management though, which is why I'm concerned now
Each email I login with has it's own separate referrals on the referral site, but when I login to the Koodo website, all emails can see all 3 lines on the account.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
10967 posts
10032 upvotes
NavieM wrote:
Sep 21st, 2018 9:04 pm
Yeah so after I signed up for the new numbers, I created a new account on the Koodo website with the second and third email addresses I used.
After that I was able to login to Koodo and the referral website with all 3 emails I used for my account. I didn't have to do anything with Role Management though, which is why I'm concerned now
Each email I login with has it's own separate referrals on the referral site, but when I login to the Koodo website, all emails can see all 3 lines on the account.
Role management is only needed if you put all 3 lines in the one Koodo account. You are fine if you put your lines in each account by itself.