Cell Phones

[Koodo] Tutorial - Maximizing Referrals 2018 Onwards

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 21st, 2019 5:48 am
Apr 14, 2017
400 posts
348 upvotes
Is it legal for them to charge taxes on referral credits? They report in the bill the discounted amount as "total before taxes", yet the taxes are calculated on the full amount.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
9956 posts
9168 upvotes
pny128 wrote:
Oct 9th, 2018 9:36 pm
Is it legal for them to charge taxes on referral credits? They report in the bill the discounted amount as "total before taxes", yet the taxes are calculated on the full amount.
Wow... Koodo is nickel and dime on referral credit. So, you get less than $10 per month.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Koodo $30 plan, PM $38 5GB plan, PM $8 plan to replace Speakout,
Zoomer loyalty family plan for 4 lines $117/6GB, $0 FPL home phone
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18023 posts
6056 upvotes
Toronto
pny128 wrote:
Oct 9th, 2018 9:36 pm
They are not charging tax. The government excludes tax from the credit so we only get a discount with the carrier and not leave the government out of pocket. It is not like tax is kept by the carrier.
Koodo $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $7.50/3GB+tablet
Rogers $25 500U home internet
Tangerine Bank
Apr 14, 2017
400 posts
348 upvotes
will888 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 12:11 am
They are not charging tax. The government excludes tax from the credit so we only get a discount with the carrier and not leave the government out of pocket. It is not like tax is kept by the carrier.
They are effectively giving a discount that is less than $10:
*Credit/CR includes an amount on account of GST/HST, QST, and PST (based on the taxes levied in the province of supply)
The government doesn't require them to charge tax on discounts:
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... #calculate
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18023 posts
6056 upvotes
Toronto
pny128 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 7:02 am
They are effectively giving a discount that is less than $10:

The government doesn't require them to charge tax on discounts:
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... #calculate
I recall it was around the time the GST was introduced that there was a change in the tax structure for credits. Previously, credits were treated the same as an actual price reduction. The government realized that they were losing tax every time a credit was given. So, they wanted to see the credit being applied after the tax is calculated.

Look at it this way, if you are in AB, this $10 per month credit is worth a different amount than compared to ON. Koodo is not discriminating customers by province. It is an artifact of the government writing the rules to not be contributing to the credit.
Koodo $40/6GB
Fido $7.50/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Jul 21, 2017
73 posts
122 upvotes
NavieM wrote:
Sep 21st, 2018 9:04 pm
Yeah so after I signed up for the new numbers, I created a new account on the Koodo website with the second and third email addresses I used.
After that I was able to login to Koodo and the referral website with all 3 emails I used for my account. I didn't have to do anything with Role Management though, which is why I'm concerned now
Each email I login with has it's own separate referrals on the referral site, but when I login to the Koodo website, all emails can see all 3 lines on the account.
When you add a line using 2nd e-mail you can choose not to do role management. You can send referrals and receive credit in parent account but you can not access self serve using 2nd e-mail.
Jan 4, 2009
222 posts
66 upvotes
Calgary
will888 wrote:
Oct 1st, 2018 11:30 pm
Maybe things are very YMMV. I had $275 of referrals credits on a line that consisted of $100 for being referred, 3 x $50 and 1 x $25 referrals to others and they did not pay out a $50 referral because I was deemed over quota.
Just confirmed, referred credit does count towards quota. If you read the T&C in-between the lines, it says max $300 bill credits per year, so referred and referee. What a cop-out.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
9956 posts
9168 upvotes
I decided to stay with Koodo on a $30 plan without SH and did the referral to find out what happens to the referral credits.
- Referral was approved
- 6 weeks later, received Koodo confirmation email about the first $10. But it was not deposited in my account balance right away.
Far forward to my next invoice, the $10 credit reduced my plan cost for the new cycle by $10.

Therefore,
1. You cannot cancel your number and expect your remaining $10 credits to arrive in the future months because you do not have payment to reduce from.
2. Since the $10 reduces you coming monthly cost, if you cancel 2 weeks into your next cycle, I am expecting Koodo will prorate your credit too. i.e. have to stay for another month to get the full $10.

Now the question is:
If I have 5 referrals for a number and I have only $30 plan,
1. Will I need to get a $50 plan in order to all my $50 credits in the new cycle?
2. Will the excess $20 credits be carry forward to the future months?

New referral rule is not churner friendly unless you get 3 referrals approved within a few days of you new number activation.
It is better to use SH if you can.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18023 posts
6056 upvotes
Toronto
embguy wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 1:09 pm
I decided to stay with Koodo on a $30 plan without SH and did the referral to find out what happens to the referral credits.
- Referral was approved
- 6 weeks later, received Koodo confirmation email about the first $10. But it was not deposited in my account balance right away.
Far forward to my next invoice, the $10 credit reduced my plan cost for the new cycle by $10.

Therefore,
1. You cannot cancel your number and expect your remaining $10 credits to arrive in the future months because you do not have payment to reduce from.
2. Since the $10 reduces you coming monthly cost, if you cancel 2 weeks into your next cycle, I am expecting Koodo will prorate your credit too. i.e. have to stay for another month to get the full $10.

Now the question is:
If I have 5 referrals for a number and I have only $30 plan,
1. Will I need to get a $50 plan in order to all my $50 credits in the new cycle?
2. Will the excess $20 credits be carry forward to the future months?

New referral rule is not churner friendly unless you get 3 referrals approved within a few days of you new number activation.
It is better to use SH if you can.
Unused referral credits from one line will build up in the account for use by any other line. I signed up for the last Koodo migration offer, got 6x $10 in credits. That particular line makes money and the extra credits help to offset costs of the other lines in the account.
Koodo $40/6GB
Fido $7.50/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
[OP]
May 8, 2009
8921 posts
4677 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
yuiou wrote:
Sep 30th, 2018 10:45 pm
@titaniumtux @embguy
Hi guys, looking for your help with my scenario.
1. Have a 90+ day old account with 1 line on it (line 1)
2. I refer out from line 1 (one to my friend, the other is self-referral/line 2 on the same account)
3. Once I have the 2nd line active on my account, I port out line 1 (therefore canceling it), and port back into line 2 (now line 2 has line 1s old phone number)
4. Now I complete the referral that was sent from line 1 to line 2 with my original number. And my friend completes the referral that was sent to them.

Since line 1 & 2 are on the same account, will I still receive my credits (both for the now canceled line 1 (sent out 2 referrals) and active line 2(received 1 referral))?

Based on a few posts here, it sounds like the answer is yes. Am I correct?

Looking for guidance.

Hopefully this makes sense….
Thanks.
will888 wrote:
Sep 30th, 2018 11:10 pm
I am thinking you are going to mess up the self referral. From my understanding, referrals are based on phone number and account number. When submitting the phone number in step 2 you are reminded to make sure all the number changes are done before doing the submission. You are not really complying with this. Assuming line 1 has phone number xxx-xxx-xxxx and line 2 has phone number yyy-yyy-yyyy. Now to complete the self referral, you had to use xxx-xxx-xxxx to refer yyy-yyy-yyyy. What you are doing is collapsing your account into one line by clobbering yyy-yyy-yyyy with xxx-xxx-xxxx. To the system, yyy-yyy-yyyy has left the building and that referral will fail with neither party getting anything. The referral to the friend should be fine as xxx-xxx-xxxx which sent out that referral is still in the account.
Afaik this.

Referral credits roll over if the account has a credit balance, as long as the account remains active.

If you selfie line alpha to line beta, then port out number X AND then port it back in to replace number Y on line beta, Then don't bother referring from line alpha to line beta. You can try, as the account would remain active, but I don't think it'd work. Better yet, take a referral from someone else who will stay with Koodo for 90+ days for line beta, and still enjoy some credits.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2007
1061 posts
145 upvotes
M4W 1J6
Unrelated to referrals; but since you're an expert, I wanted to know how often you can upgrade without raising any red flags. My lines are over 3 months and it seems like I can pay off the tab immediately after upgrading and then get another phone straight away.
Public Mobile | Koodo
[OP]
May 8, 2009
8921 posts
4677 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Raptors wrote:
Nov 25th, 2018 6:46 pm
Unrelated to referrals; but since you're an expert, I wanted to know how often you can upgrade without raising any red flags. My lines are over 3 months and it seems like I can pay off the tab immediately after upgrading and then get another phone straight away.
Until they won't let you upgrade anymore. Koodo seems to shut down the HUP access to those who game them too frequently.

If you're 3+ months in, keeping the lines and do tab payoff, you're probably in a favourable situation to negotiate HUP's.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Jan 15, 2004
290 posts
1 upvote
I have one number with Koodo and want to port my other number over as well (same name but different email as suggested) and ordered a SIM online.

I got an email saying they saw the same name and address has an account so they're asking if I want to add a line or create a new accoint.

I presume I have to select a new account but just wondering if through this process they would somehow flag that I already have another account and then deny me the referral credit once my number is ported?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
9956 posts
9168 upvotes
avid wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 5:55 pm
I have one number with Koodo and want to port my other number over as well (same name but different email as suggested) and ordered a SIM online.

I got an email saying they saw the same name and address has an account so they're asking if I want to add a line or create a new accoint.

I presume I have to select a new account but just wondering if through this process they would somehow flag that I already have another account and then deny me the referral credit once my number is ported?
It does not matter what is your answer. Koodo allows adding a new line in the same account as well as creating a new account under the same name with different email address.
Jan 15, 2004
290 posts
1 upvote
And regardless of the answer they would still give the referral credit ?