• Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2019 12:26 pm
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon

[Koodo] Tutorial - Maximizing Referrals 2018 Onwards

I've been denied all referral credits for the last few months of 2017, but since 2018, I'm back in the game (didn't stop me from taking Koodo phones during the holiday rush, despite the lack of referral credits). I thought I'd whip up a thread with the steps.

Disclaimers:
  1. Soliciting referrals in thread is strictly against forum rules. Please do not post about requesting or offering referrals.
  2. This is merely a tutorial, RFD, YP, nor myself are responsible for what you do with this info.
  3. If you have a question about the topic, please post your question in this thread so that any RFDer can answer

Now, let's get to it. All you need is a single email address. Since you're on RFD, you probably have one. Otherwise, you'll need the usual to open up a post-paid wireless account. If you rather use up all your email addresses rather than use an alias service, you can do that, too.

Walkthrough
  1. For your first line, use someone's referral. Go in store or activate online, get it done (BYOD or with phone), say you get 416-RED-FLAG
  2. Once you have that line active, setup your self-serve. Say you use redflagdeals@gmail . For the refer a friend program, you'll need to complete sms validation (log into refer a friend with your email). Boot the Koodo sim in any working phone. Receive the code, input it on the website.
  3. Now, setup an email alias account. I use 33mail. Note: 33mail does have a referral program, and please don't solicit 33mail referrals here, but the referrals won't do much difference. Instead of referring to red.flag.deals@gmail or redflagdeals+01@gmail, refer koodo01@redflagdeals.33mail (substitute "koodo01" with anything). This will forward all emails to your original email address.
  4. Refer yourself. Go to referral website, log in with your email. Then, send a referral to your name, and use the 33mail alias to receive the referral. You'll get it in your regular email anyway. Then go and repeat step 1 (except using your own referral). Get a new number, say 416-RED-DEAL. Note: when you add a line, dealer adds it to your existing account, with same email address. That's fine, since you as the subscriber will setup the parent/child self-serve logins afterwards.
  5. Complete the referral by going to the email and providing your new number (as usual).
  6. Now here's the trick to refer out from line 2 (koodo01@redflagdeals.33mail). Go to self-serve. Instead of logging in, register as new user with your alias email. Input account number. You'll get a message saying that it's associated with another account. This time, it's tricky to log out. You'll likely have to use a different browser, use private browsing, etc. since you probably won't be able to log out from that page, and closing the tab only likely won't log you out of your self-serve session (my experience browsing on my phone, same issue on laptop confirmed by @embguy). Now go into your self-serve using original email. Click on the new line (416-RED-DEAL), and go to Profile>Role Management. You'll be reverted to the old self-serve. It'll ask you to approve line 2 referral email to have self-serve access (that means you can log in with redflagdeals@gmail or koodo01@redflagdeals.33mail).
  7. Once this is done, go to refer a friend, log in with your line 2 email (koodo01@redflagdeals.33mail). Do sms validation. Now you can refer out. Repeat steps from step 3 to add more lines and refer out from those lines.
  8. If you can't see your added user in role management, you might have to remove one in order to approve another. Perhaps YMMV.

FAQ/Q&A
  1. What's the referral credits limit? $300 per line, per calendar year. Note: your last referral credit within the limit cannot bump you over the limit. That means if you got $275 in referral credits on that line in a given year, when promo's peak at $50 per credit, the referral credit will be denied - thank you @will888
  2. How can I track how many referral credits I have reached on a given line? Koodo will not give you this information in self-serve. You'll get emails for each credit, and that's your paper trail. To track this more closely, it's recommended to log these credits in a spreadsheet or note taking app. Thank you @embguy
  3. What's the account limit? Theoretically no hard limit. Max seven lines on the account to refer out. Mind you, as a YMMV, Koodo did automatically deny all referral credits to my name requested as of end-September 2017
  4. Can I use Gmail alias? Like red.flag.deals@gmail or redflagdeals+1@gmail? Used to work, but no longer works since September 2017. Don't even try. Use 33mail or another email forwarding service, it's free (ad-supported)
  5. Any trend on referral credits? Yes. They're base $25 a piece, but usually double to $50 during slow periods when promo's on phones, or when the carrier is desperate to inflate sales (end of quarter)
  6. Does it matter how I activate Koodo service? Usually no. Can be Koodo store or 3rd party store. Can also combine with trade-in's, etc.
  7. Why should I stay with Koodo after I get my referral credits? That's up to you. You can refer others for credits, perhaps negotiate a loyalty plan, discounts on phones, etc. They also offer access to the Bellus network with relatively competitive roaming options.
  8. Can I get referral credits while on seasonal hold? YMMV, but it's against ToS. Thank you @aznhulk. AFAIK you'll have to keep the line on a minimal plan until you get the credits before going on seasonal hold. Seasonal hold might also get you quickly rejected for future credits for the rest of the calendar year. Once you've completed the 90 days on a plan, you can cancel service, change the plan, pay off the tab, go on seasonal hold. Even while on seasonal hold, you should be able to refer out.
  9. Can I get referrals while on out of province plans? YMMV. They might deny you referral credits if the rate plan doesn't match the number's province. It might work now, stop working later. Perhaps some users could share some 2018 experience on the topic and I'll update OP.
  10. What about phone selection? Generally Apple/Sammy/LG plus the odd TELUS exclusivity. They seem to have dropped Motorola (don't know if it'll return), no dice for SONY or Huawei. Given the tab discounts, you'll likely find better deals on Koodo on a 90 day haul than on other carriers.
  11. Will we see more targetted offers to migrate PM users to Koodo? Probably, seeing as TELUS would rather bump more users onto post-paid.
  12. Can I still get the $60/10GB? Probably not. But you can negotiate with loyalty and maybe get something close. You can also keep the referrals going.
  13. Do I complete referral promo before or after porting in my number? If you wish to port a number in to use within the first eight weeks, better to port in before submitting the number for the referral, else referral credit will likely be denied. This was not an issue in previous years (where porting in after completing referral promo would only delay the credit rather than jeopardize it). When you complete the promo, you check off that you're done porting in a number if you are porting in. Thank you @will888. Worst case scenario, if you do port in a number or change your number within those eight weeks, best to contact them here. Thank you @9613019.
  14. When does Koodo do a credit check? Only when opening a new account. No credit check on adding lines. A poor credit standing may limit the number of lines you can take or start with, and may require paying the tab upfront.
  15. Can I refer out from seven lines? If they're all active and all have active profiles in role management, then yes.

More FAQ
Thanks to
Phone Number
  1. As mentioned, if you're porting a number in, do it before completing the referral promo
  2. No one has tried getting a Koodo number (or porting one in), then porting out after 90 days, then after another 90 days, porting that number in again. We don't know if that name and phone number combination will disqualify referral credits.

Billing
  1. When are referral credits paid out? 6-8 weeks after referral completion
  2. Is this an account credit or tab credit? Used to be a tab credit, now it's an account credit
  3. Are multi-line accounts one bill or multiple bills? One bill
  4. What happens if I cancel all my lines? You'll get a final bill and you won't receive any outstanding referral credits.
  5. When will I see my credits once they're applied? On the next (recurring or final) bill

Split and Merge Accounts
  1. When merging a line from one account to the other, will the parent email be retained for the merged line? One parent email por account. Say you have account A with email accA@gmail with lines 1 through n, and account B with email accB@gmail (either parent account can be its own email or alias), make sure you have completed SMS validation for referrals on all your lines on account B prior to the merge (for convenience). When you merge the accounts, they'll all be under parent email accA@gmail with child accounts accAline1-n@user.33mail and accBline1-n@user.33mail. AFAIK, if you merge the accounts, you should still be able to refer out post-SMS validation through the referral site. If you have not done the sms validation prior to the merge, follow steps in OP to add child accounts to those lines in order to refer out.
  2. If there are multiple lines with distinct e-mails in selfserve, are all e-mails good to log-in? Or just the main one? One parent account, and one child account per line (after the first line, since first line can use parent email for referrals).

Seasonal Hold
  1. Will I get my referral credits while on seasonal hold? It's against ToS for referral program. YMMV but definitely risking the referral credits.
  2. How soon can I go on SH? As per Koodo's website, 90 days of service. Some CSR's overlook that and will do it for you sooner. Proceed with SH at your own risk
  3. Can I switch to SH via self-serve? No, only by calling in.

Transfer of Responsibility
  1. If I transfer a Koodo line to someone else, when can it be done? After 90 days, no exception AFAIK
  2. Are there any fees? $10 one-time fee charged to existing account, but some CSR's will waive (YMMV)
  3. What gets transferred over? Rate plan, existing tab and phone number. Referral credits will not get transferred over, meaning existing account holder retains credits. If all remaining lines transfer out, the account closes, you'll get a final bill, and you won't collect anymore referral credits on that account

Escalations
  1. What if I get denied referral credits or only get partial credits? Call customer service and ask for goodwill credit
  2. What if customer service won't give me goodwill credits? Tough luck, referral credits are not owed to us
  3. Can I complain to the CCTS? Not really. Carrier reserves the rights to change their referral offers any time with little or no notice. CCTS won't do anything for promo credits, as it's outside of the wireless code and carrier can claw them back
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
378 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13456 posts
12205 upvotes
Great tutorial. titaniumtux
I wish I have your walkthrough #6. It took me a while to figure that out.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $34 15GB, $11 250MB, 2x $5 50min/50text, $0 FPL home phone,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
embguy wrote: Great tutorial. titaniumtux
I wish I have your walkthrough #6. It took me a while to figure that out.
No kidding. Since you had already figured that step out, wish you had shared that back when you cracked the code :lol:
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13456 posts
12205 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote: No kidding. Since you had already figured that step out, wish you had shared that back when you cracked the code :lol:
RFD moderators do not like to see the word "r*f*rr*l" in any post. That is the main reason that I do not share this publicly and dare to mention the "R" word in my posts. If any person asked the question in any thread, I will share the steps by PM only.

Have to live by the RFD rules and stay in RFD... lol
Nov 16, 2014
224 posts
112 upvotes
Ladysmith, BC
I thought I was on the forum RFD - Red Flag Deals, not HTSTS - How to Scam the System.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Pingu99 wrote: I thought I was on the forum RFD - Red Flag Deals, not HTSTS - How to Scam the System.
My tutorial actually explains how to do it based on their process. This is exactly how it's supposed to be done (by design). Self-referrals are also not against Koodo ToS.

OTOH, even if it were, it wouldn't be an issue for RFD, as long as we're not doing anything illegal.

Like I said though, there is no violation to Koodo's ToS here. This is how they expect you to use their referral system on a multi-line account.
Jul 16, 2003
617 posts
272 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
titaniumtux wrote: 6. Now here's the trick to refer out from line 2 (koodo01@redflagdeals.33mail). Go to self-serve. Instead of logging in, register as new user with your alias email. Input account number. You'll get a message saying that it's associated with another account. This time, it's tricky to log out. Either use a different browser, use private browsing, etc. Now log into your self-serve using original email. Click on the new line (416-RED-DEAL), and go to Profile>Manage Users. You'll be reverted to the old self-serve. It'll ask you to approve line 2 referral email to have self-serve access (that means you can log in with redflagdeals@gmail or koodo01@redflagdeals.33mail).
7. Once this is done, go to refer a friend, log in with your line 2 email (koodo01@redflagdeals.33mail). Do sms validation. Now you can refer out. Repeat steps from step 3 to add more lines and refer out from those lines.
6/7. Thank you. I actually came here to post about some questions I have on multi line accounts. This is the first time I've done it. I've had multiple lines before but all on their own accounts. Thought I'd try it out this time. I couldn't find this info anywhere. You have to provide a different email to get the referral but your account has one login with multiple lines. I haven't gotten the sim cards yet. I was hoping it was self evident. I figured the refer a friend page would use main email and give you option to change lines or something. Apparently not...
titaniumtux wrote: E. Does it matter how I activate Koodo service? Usually no. Can be Koodo store or 3rd party store. Can also combine with trade-in's, etc.
G. Can I get referral credits while on seasonal hold? YMMV. AFAIK you'll have to keep the line on a minimal plan until you get the credits before going on seasonal hold. Seasonal hold might also get you quickly rejected for future credits for the rest of the calendar year. Once you've completed the 90 days on a plan, you can cancel service, change the plan, pay off the tab, go on seasonal hold. Even while on seasonal hold, you should be able to refer out.
D. You should probably add they can now go up to $100 if you're lucky.
E. You should probably specify that there are now that you may receive different referral amounts for activating online vs in store after this most recent $100 for online referral promo.
G. From the FAQ: "How do I qualify for a referral reward?
You must be a current Koodo Mobile customer with a postpaid account who does not have overdue bills. In order to qualify for rewards, your friend must keep their account active and in good standing for 90 days after activating with Koodo. If service is terminated within 90 days of activating, the value of the bill credit will be charged back to both your account and the account of the person you referred."

If they didn't give me referral credits because I was on a seasonal hold, I would complain to CCTS if they didn't resolve it. It clearly states you only need to be a customer in good standing on postpaid. On seasonal you are still postpaid. In any case I'll find out soon. The account I sent referrals out from for this last promotion is on a seasonal hold, so I guess I'll find out soon.

Couple more questions for you:
1) When you have multiple lines on one account do you get one bill or multiple?
2) Do the referral credits all get added to your main account?
3) What about "first bill credits" you get from promotions do they all pool together?
4) Do you have any experience with cancelling an account right after seeing the referral credits show up on the account (as the referrer who has already been there more than 90 days)? I know technically the faq states that you lose the credit if the person referred quits before 90 days but doesn't actually specify the referrer needs to stay for the 90 days.
5) Do you have any experience with buying a phone on an existing (more than 90 days) account on say a tab large to get a better deal and then immediately cancelling or switching to seasonal hold? I'm asking because right now they have $200 bill credit on large tab, $150 on med and $125 on small for all phones. Might be targeted though as some people can't see the deal.
6) Do you have any experience with going off seasonal hold then putting it back on again? For same reason as #5. All I can find on seasonal hold is that usually you can't get on it till you've been around for 90 days unless you get lucky. And that you can go onto it for 6 months max (per year or per time, I'm not sure). I also know you can only change plans once per month, so I'm not sure if I can switch back to the seasonal hold after switching to a normal plan.

Thank you soo much for this post!
Lucky Mobile $20/m 3Gb (unlimited at 128Kbps)
Rocking a Pixel 6A for $299 till Google makes a better finger print scanner
Jul 16, 2003
617 posts
272 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
titaniumtux wrote: No kidding. Since you had already figured that step out, wish you had shared that back when you cracked the code :lol:
embguy wrote: RFD moderators do not like to see the word "r*f*rr*l" in any post. That is the main reason that I do not share this publicly and dare to mention the "R" word in my posts. If any person asked the question in any thread, I will share the steps by PM only.

Have to live by the RFD rules and stay in RFD... lol
I'm really glad it was a mod that posted this because of the R word. I know most of the mods are pretty reasonable but I've met a few along the years that are unreasonable. I think the last time was back when I was talking about Wind or mobilicity's (some company that doesn't exist anymore) R's explaining a deal to a new guy who didn't understand how the hot deal worked (it involved R's and some gift cards and other shenanegans). I wasn't even a wind customer at the time. Bunch of my posts got deleted and I got a warning. Asked what the warning was for as it just said posting against forum rules or something like that. Asked for clarification, got another warning for not respecting his authority or some such. So I reread the deals kept on posting being careful not to even imply I wanted an R but still answering people's questions. I think that is when I got put in the penalty box and banned from posting for I can't remember how long. It was a long time though, maybe a year. I tied complaining to another mod but never heard back. Still never got one example of why I was in trouble. Hard to tell when all the posts were deleted.

But recently people have been posting about them a lot and nobody gets in trouble except the morons that post asking for or giving out an R. Or the idiots that mass PM anyone that looks like they might sign up. Haven't read the terms for the forum in a while though. I wonder if they've changed or if the bad mods are just gone now.

It's pretty hard to talk about any koodo deals without mentioning R's. It would actually be really nice if there was an R Faq for koodo on here explaining how the usual types of deals work so when a noob asks we could just say read this (link) to find out about it without getting in trouble for posting about R's.

PS I just used R in this post because you did in the quote lol. My Questions to titaniumtux are full of the word.
Jul 16, 2003
617 posts
272 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Hmm I just thought of some more questions, you buy soo many phones I figure you know this all:
1) When you come off of a season hold, does the plan you can get depend on how much tab you have on that line? Ie if I bought a phone on tab large and went on a season hold, if/when I decided to get service again, would I be stuck with picking a tab large? What if I paid off my tab early? Does that now mean I can go on a tab small plan?

2) Also even if not doing seasonal hold could I pay off my tab early then switch to a cheaper plan?

3) Are there any other benefits to keeping an account open? I've been reading some of your other posts where you talk about if you're over 90 days you can get 6 phones on an account instead of just 3. I mean I guess if I wanted to make a business out of reselling koodo phones I could see the point of keeping a line open. But when I'm just jumping on the odd deal for a phone to upgrade or resell if there is a really good deal I just can't avoid grabbing, I don't see much problem in limiting myself to 3 phones at once per account.

4) When you buy new phones on "additional lines" is there a credit check? That's the whole reason I added lines this time instead of just creating new accounts. I'm hoping it avoids the credit checks.

Personally I've never found a Koodo plan good enough to keep me as a customer long term. I'm very happy with my public mobile 4Gb plan since I pay around $20 per month (used to be less but lost a few referrals now). If it goes away, I'd switch to the virgin mobile tablet plan 3Gb for $15 or maybe the Fido so I can get a free tablet as they do that promo quite often. I use voip for my phone anyways so it doesn't matter who I use as long as I have wifi or a data plan. I think I'd prefer Virgin to Fido though despite the tablet as they are on Bellus vs Fido on Rogers. That and I'm already a Virgin customer. Use 3 sims for in tablets/backup phones. $5/1Gb The glitch deal from a few years back.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Mixam wrote: Hmm I just thought of some more questions, you buy soo many phones I figure you know this all:
1) When you come off of a season hold, does the plan you can get depend on how much tab you have on that line? Ie if I bought a phone on tab large and went on a season hold, if/when I decided to get service again, would I be stuck with picking a tab large? What if I paid off my tab early? Does that now mean I can go on a tab small plan?

2) Also even if not doing seasonal hold could I pay off my tab early then switch to a cheaper plan?

3) Are there any other benefits to keeping an account open? I've been reading some of your other posts where you talk about if you're over 90 days you can get 6 phones on an account instead of just 3. I mean I guess if I wanted to make a business out of reselling koodo phones I could see the point of keeping a line open. But when I'm just jumping on the odd deal for a phone to upgrade or resell if there is a really good deal I just can't avoid grabbing, I don't see much problem in limiting myself to 3 phones at once per account.

4) When you buy new phones on "additional lines" is there a credit check? That's the whole reason I added lines this time instead of just creating new accounts. I'm hoping it avoids the credit checks.

Personally I've never found a Koodo plan good enough to keep me as a customer long term. I'm very happy with my public mobile 4Gb plan since I pay around $20 per month (used to be less but lost a few referrals now). If it goes away, I'd switch to the virgin mobile tablet plan 3Gb for $15 or maybe the Fido so I can get a free tablet as they do that promo quite often. I use voip for my phone anyways so it doesn't matter who I use as long as I have wifi or a data plan. I think I'd prefer Virgin to Fido though despite the tablet as they are on Bellus vs Fido on Rogers. That and I'm already a Virgin customer. Use 3 sims for in tablets/backup phones. $5/1Gb The glitch deal from a few years back.
  1. correct, tab large requires a tab large plan. Yes you can do tab payoff early and go on any BYOD plan. Note that you'd choose from in-market plan, not necessarily the plan you had prior to SH
  2. you should be able to. I've had no issues with early tab payoff, but seems to be YMMV if before the 90 day mark
  3. You answered your own question, plus the odd personalized offer if you keep the sim in a phone
  4. AFAIK no credit check when adding lines to existing Koodo account. Even new account is only a soft check
Jul 16, 2003
617 posts
272 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
titaniumtux wrote:
  • you should be able to. I've had no issues with early tab payoff, but seems to be YMMV if before the 90 day mark
90 day mark on the account or on the current plan?
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Mixam wrote: 90 day mark on the account or on the current plan?
Of the line in question. If it's the first line activated, then it's the same date as account creation.
Jul 16, 2003
617 posts
272 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
titaniumtux wrote: Of the line in question. If it's the first line activated, then it's the same date as account creation.
Thanks again!

2) Do the referral credits all get added to your main account? Basically are they all aggregated so they can be applied to any charges on the current bill for all the lines?
3) What about "first bill credits" you get from promotions do they all pool together?
4) Do you have any experience with cancelling an account right after seeing the referral credits show up on the account (as the referrer who has already been there more than 90 days)? I know technically the faq states that you lose the credit if the person referred quits before 90 days but doesn't actually specify the referrer needs to stay for the 90 days.
5) Do you have any experience with buying a phone on an existing (more than 90 days) account on say a tab large to get a better deal and then immediately cancelling or switching to seasonal hold? I'm asking because right now they have $200 bill credit on large tab, $150 on med and $125 on small for all phones. Might be targeted though as some people can't see the deal.
6) Do you have any experience with going off seasonal hold then putting it back on again? For same reason as #5. All I can find on seasonal hold is that usually you can't get on it till you've been around for 90 days unless you get lucky. And that you can go onto it for 6 months max (per year or per time, I'm not sure). I also know you can only change plans once per month, so I'm not sure if I can switch back to the seasonal hold after switching to a normal plan.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Mixam wrote: Thanks again!

2) Do the referral credits all get added to your main account? Basically are they all aggregated so they can be applied to any charges on the current bill for all the lines?
  1. one bill
  2. Yes
  3. No idea. Why don't you try and report back?
  4. My referrer lines receive credits on the account well after they get cancelled, no issue there. The account must remain alive, though.
  5. For upgrades, that's a whole other ball game. Keep the line for 90 days post-upgrade to avoid giving your dealer a clawback. For referrals, you can keep referring out if you're not maxed out, and no issue on the inbound referral, since you weren't "referred in" on the upgrade (makes sense?)
  6. Yeah. On upgrades I got re-rated by dealer going from SH to minimum tab small plan. No issue there. Then a week later, back on SH

@Mixam these are some awesome questions and glad you could bring them up so early in the thread. Would be even better if you could edit your questions to condense them, and add 'em with the answers as a Q&A to the thread summary.

@embguy don't hesitate to tackle some of these questions, I know you're also a veteran.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13456 posts
12205 upvotes
Advantages of adding new line to an existing Koodo account are:
1. All referral credits from different lines are pooled in the same account. You can use them to pay your next statement automatically. If you not already know, negative balance means that you have credit in your account for future payment.
2. After you cancel the first line in your account, Koodo is still using that email address to communicate with you. The Koodo bill credit deposited email will tell you the credit is for which line. Look for account # and phone # info at the top of that email.
3. It costs you and me only 50 cents per day to stay with Koodo on seasonal hold. Therefore, I don't cancel right at the 91 days. I stayed for 5 months for one of my line to get enough credit to pay for the tab balance of that line after cancellation.
4. It is easy to switch your new line to seasonal hold if you have an Koodo account over 90 or closed to 90 days old. I found this out accidentally. After adding a line to a 2.5 months old account, I called to switch the new line to SH. CSR said since my account is 2.5 months old, he will make an exception to switch my new line to SH right away. I usually add one line per month to that older 90 days account, I was able to switch new line to SH without any resistant. YMMV It may be my luck in getting easy CSR after that. YMMV. Keep your 90 days old account as long as possible. It costs you only 50 cents per day to stay with Koodo. One referral credit will cover your payment for 1 month including part of your monthly tab charge.

Please don't ask for referral in any RFD thread to stay at RFD for more deals - Don't kill the golden goose!
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2012
1940 posts
1504 upvotes
Vancouver, BC Canada
embguy wrote: Advantages of adding new line to an existing Koodo account are:
1. All referral credits from different lines are pooled in the same account. You can use them to pay your next statement automatically. If you not already know, negative balance means that you have credit in your account for future payment.
2. After you cancel the first line in your account, Koodo is still using that email address to communicate with you. The Koodo bill credit deposited email will tell you the credit is for which line. Look for account # and phone # info at the top of that email.
3. It costs you and me only 50 cents per day to stay with Koodo on seasonal hold. Therefore, I don't cancel right at the 91 days. I stayed for 5 months for one of my line to get enough credit to pay for the tab balance of that line after cancellation.
4. It is easy to switch your new line to seasonal hold if you have an Koodo account over 90 or closed to 90 days old. I found this out accidentally. After adding a line to a 2.5 months old account, I called to switch the new line to SH. CSR said since my account is 2.5 months old, he will make an exception to switch my new line to SH right away. I usually add one line per month to that older 90 days account, I was able to switch new line to SH without any resistant. YMMV It may be my luck in getting easy CSR after that. YMMV. Keep your 90 days old account as long as possible. It costs you only 50 cents per day to stay with Koodo. One referral credit will cover your payment for 1 month including part of your monthly tab charge.

Please don't ask for referral in any RFD thread to stay at RFD for more deals - Don't kill the golden goose!
Ahh good to know my understanding was SH eligibility was based on 90-days from when second/third etc line was opened not the actual account itself good to know.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2016
1874 posts
1018 upvotes
embguy wrote: 4. It is easy to switch your new line to seasonal hold if you have an Koodo account over 90 or closed to 90 days old. I found this out accidentally. After adding a line to a 2.5 months old account, I called to switch the new line to SH. CSR said since my account is 2.5 months old, he will make an exception to switch my new line to SH right away. I usually add one line per month to that older 90 days account, I was able to switch new line to SH without any resistant. YMMV It may be my luck in getting easy CSR after that. YMMV. Keep your 90 days old account as long as possible. It costs you only 50 cents per day to stay with Koodo. One referral credit will cover your payment for 1 month including part of your monthly tab charge.
Have you tried this recently? I currently have two lines on SH and was going to open a new line but know it may be a hassle getting the new line on SH. I had to go to a supervisor about line 1 and 2.
Koodo: $60/10GB
Zoomer: $45 4GB LTE Loyalty Plan
OP of the Zoomer Wireless $36 2GB LTE Promo
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13456 posts
12205 upvotes
rolomonster wrote: Have you tried this recently? I currently have two lines on SH and was going to open a new line but know it may be a hassle getting the new line on SH. I had to go to a supervisor about line 1 and 2.
The most recent switch was Feb 13. Switch to SH on the first call.
I will try to switch a new line to SH in a few days as I usually don't call the next day. I always have uneasy feeling about calling to switch to SH. lol
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
canucks4life wrote: Ahh good to know my understanding was SH eligibility was based on 90-days from when second/third etc line was opened not the actual account itself good to know.
Might disqualify you from referral credits down the road. It's a YMMV.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13456 posts
12205 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote: Might disqualify you from referral credits down the road. It's a YMMV.
That question was came up couple of years ago when SH was suggested to cut down the cost of staying for 90 days. Since the SH is a valid Koodo plan, the conclusion at Koodo community was okay and everyone got their bill credits.

With the recent Koodo requirement change, the minimum plan for small tab is $35 plan. Koodo may try to plug the loophole. But Koodo has a bigger problem to deal with people canceling the next day for the past few months. Koodo is still getting income from SH without adding load to their network. Koodo may increase the SH for another $5. IIRC, there was an rate increase couple years ago to $15/m. IIRC It was $5/m IIRC

Update 1: It was $5/m SH back in 2013. Refer to this old thread for details.
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/merged-k ... #p16865577

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)