• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2014 12:37 pm
[OP]
Nov 8, 2005
196 posts
444 upvotes
Halifax

[Koodo] Unadvertised Plan - 100min, 2GB data for $54/mo

Just signed up for this somewhat hot deal from Koodo at the local mall booth. I do not see it on their web site. Telus and Bell both refused to match it, so that should tell you something :arrowu: :

100 nationwide daytime minutes
Unlimited evenings and 5pm weekends
Unlimited texting
Voicemail
Caller display
2GB Data

$54 - 10% for bringing my own device = $48.60/mo
201 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2013
1709 posts
1616 upvotes
I might bite on this when I come back. Is this region specific?
Feb 11, 2012
138 posts
20 upvotes
Stewx wrote: Just signed up for this somewhat hot deal from Koodo at the local mall booth. I do not see it on their web site. Telus and Bell both refused to match it, so that should tell you something :arrowu: :

100 nationwide daytime minutes
Unlimited evenings and 5pm weekends
Unlimited texting
Voicemail
Caller display
2GB Data

$54 - 10% for bringing my own device = $48.60/mo
Is it 1000 minutes or 100? 100 seems really low.
Jan 12, 2013
610 posts
600 upvotes
Halifax
I can verify this. What they're doing is matching Virgin Mobile's offer of the $29/mo base plan ($34 on Gold or Med Tab w/Koodo) and adding a 2GB data add on for $25.

Koodo and Virgin Mobile are both offering this they're just advertising it in different ways.

$54 for Silver or Small Tab
$59 for Gold or Medium Tab
or of course bring your own phone and enjoy a 10% discount on the $54 plan as the OP stated

About to sign up for the plan on Nexus 5 ($50 Gift Card incl at Mobile Shop locations)

If it interests anyone, Koodo also has a limited time offer of a 5GB Canada-Wide data plan (unlimited everything else) for $94/mo. Not as good a deal IMO because I don't need the minutes, but its out there.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5027 posts
1706 upvotes
mark121 wrote: Is it 1000 minutes or 100? 100 seems really low.
Depends on the user. If this is a legit deal, I'd jump from Bell in seconds. I'd essentially double my data and take $20/month off my bill. The only thing I lose out on is daytime minutes (200 vs 100)
Let's hug it out
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2012
1370 posts
143 upvotes
U
This is a cold deal, I'm paying $55 for unlimited everything and 5gigs on the SASK/MB plan, I've been on it for like 4 months now?
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2013
1017 posts
2112 upvotes
Fredericton
jeremyhalifax88 wrote: This is a cold deal, I'm paying $55 for unlimited everything and 5gigs on the SASK/MB plan, I've been on it for like 4 months now?
Not everyone lives in SK/MB, so we're stuck with dealing with a lack of competition.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2012
1370 posts
143 upvotes
U
life359 wrote: Not everyone lives in SK/MB, so we're stuck with dealing with a lack of competition.
I live in Nova Scotia. Just tell then you're moving to Sask and then switch your number by porting it.
Apr 24, 2013
54 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
SK/MB have more cell carrier competition than the rest of Canada?
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes ... that way you'll be a mile away from them and have their shoes
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2013
1017 posts
2112 upvotes
Fredericton
jeremyhalifax88 wrote: I live in Nova Scotia. Just tell then you're moving to Sask and then switch your number by porting it.
So you never lived in SK and obtained that plan? Are you serious?

Only disadvantage would be people calling you would get dinged for long distance to SK. :(
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2010
1766 posts
4946 upvotes
Aliac9001 wrote: SK/MB have more cell carrier competition than the rest of Canada?
Manitoba: MTS
Saskatchewan: SaskTel
Thunder Bay: Tbaytel

Because of these 3 cell phone companies Bell, Rogers, and Telus have to lower their rates in these areas in order to compete.
Aug 24, 2011
42 posts
16 upvotes
Aliac9001 wrote: SK/MB have more cell carrier competition than the rest of Canada?
Why not just go with Wind Mobile 39,99$ plan. It's quite simple : Unlimited data in the US or Canada (no extra fees), call all you want to Canada from the US or to the US from Canada (no roaming fees). Call display, forward, conference etc (does not include voicemail) and unlimited text.

In Canada, all the above applies to the big cities : Ottawa, Toronto, Kingston, Vancouver (excludes province of Quebec).
In the US the plan is better (Anywhere on T-Mobile network - and that's pretty much everywhere where there is service).
Jan 21, 2009
540 posts
92 upvotes
Quebec has a 2gb everything unlimited 55$ not too hot.
Jan 21, 2009
540 posts
92 upvotes
Audio1 wrote: Why not just go with Wind Mobile 39,99$ plan. It's quite simple : Unlimited data in the US or Canada (no extra fees), call all you want to Canada from the US or to the US from Canada (no roaming fees). Call display, forward, conference etc (does not include voicemail) and unlimited text.

In Canada, all the above applies to the big cities : Ottawa, Toronto, Kingston, Vancouver (excludes province of Quebec).
In the US the plan is better (Anywhere on T-Mobile network - and that's pretty much everywhere where there is service).
Wind doesn't have LTE, uh?
Jan 12, 2013
610 posts
600 upvotes
Halifax
The thing about cell phone deals on this forum is that everyone seems to think they can get a better deal than the next person. If that's the case that's fine, but everyone has different circumstances surrounding their decision.

Wind isn't available to everyone and their coverage can be spotty - hence they are able to offer lower cost plans.

Not everyone may be willing to call Koodo to go through the process of obtaining the SK/MB plan either. Although it admittedly may not take long, it's all a matter of preference.

It is nice to have a deal like this in the maritimes where you can just walk in, ask for it, and that be that. Typically our plans are absolute garbage.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1676 posts
867 upvotes
Yeah, I can't say this seems that great, many people have better specs for the same money. I have fido 3gb and unlimited everything else for $50 on one line and $55 on the other.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5736 posts
354 upvotes
TBBA29 wrote: The thing about cell phone deals on this forum is that everyone seems to think they can get a better deal than the next person. If that's the case that's fine, but everyone has different circumstances surrounding their decision.

Wind isn't available to everyone and their coverage can be spotty - hence they are able to offer lower cost plans.

Not everyone may be willing to call Koodo to go through the process of obtaining the SK/MB plan either. Although it admittedly may not take long, it's all a matter of preference.

It is nice to have a deal like this in the maritimes where you can just walk in, ask for it, and that be that. Typically our plans are absolute garbage.
Your post makes too much sense for people around here.
Nov 15, 2002
575 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
bokep wrote: Your post makes too much sense for people around here.
OMG. laughing my @$$ off. So true.
Jul 29, 2013
297 posts
174 upvotes
Toronto
Any current Koodo members successful in switching over to this? I could really use the extra 1gb
Jan 17, 2008
415 posts
141 upvotes
TBBA29 wrote: I can verify this. What they're doing is matching Virgin Mobile's offer of the $29/mo base plan ($34 on Gold or Med Tab w/Koodo) and adding a 2GB data add on for $25.

Koodo and Virgin Mobile are both offering this they're just advertising it in different ways.

$54 for Silver or Small Tab
$59 for Gold or Medium Tab
or of course bring your own phone and enjoy a 10% discount on the $54 plan as the OP stated

About to sign up for the plan on Nexus 5 ($50 Gift Card incl at Mobile Shop locations)

If it interests anyone, Koodo also has a limited time offer of a 5GB Canada-Wide data plan (unlimited everything else) for $94/mo. Not as good a deal IMO because I don't need the minutes, but its out there.
Interesting. Looks like Virgin has a 3 GB add-on for $30 flat, so total with base Silver plan would be $59. Does anyone know if the 10% BYOP discount would apply to the total of $59 (i.e. including the add-on), or just the monthly amount of $29?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)