Tags:
[OP]
May 27, 2012
181 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto

Koodo USA roaming

Hi,

First time driving into the USA. I will need some DATA for whats app msg's and GPS. dont care for minutes.
I currently have koodo, their website says ...

$7.00 a day fee

so what deos this $7 cover? i have the 10gb per month plan so in the USA i can use my 10gb? for no other fee other than $7?

Thanks in advance
10 replies
Sep 14, 2017
138 posts
65 upvotes
I believe it allows you to use whatever is left for the month in your 10GB plan (as well as the minutes and texts).

If you are staying longer than 5 days, it might be worth looking at something like Roam Mobility, depending on how much data you think you need.
You can get the SIM card at Staples for $10: https://www.staples.ca/roam+mobility/di ... 51_1_20001?
The plans are here: https://roammobility.com/data-plans
500MB for 7 days will cost you $17 and 1GB for 7 days will cost you $22
This would come to a total of $32, which is less than what 5 or 7 days of roaming would be.

When you log into your Roam Mobility account you can specify what day and what time those 7 days start from.
Just another option.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5546 posts
1933 upvotes
GTEH!
adnanakhtar wrote: Hi,

First time driving into the USA. I will need some DATA for whats app msg's and GPS. dont care for minutes.
I currently have koodo, their website says ...

$7.00 a day fee

so what deos this $7 cover? i have the 10gb per month plan so in the USA i can use my 10gb? for no other fee other than $7?

Thanks in advance
If you were on KOODO website, all the information is there explaining how it works. (take a few minutes to read). :rolleyes:

From KOODO website:
Travel and Roaming
Pack your bags and your phone plan, too.
With Easy Roam®, you can use your existing phone plan when you travel abroad. It only costs $7/day in the U.S. and $10/day in 100+ international destinations. You're only charged for the days you use your monthly plan's minutes, data or texts.

Add it on Self Serve
or text ROAM to 7626

Easy Roam® U.S.
Add it for free

$7/day when you use your phone while travelling

Use your monthly plan's minutes, data or texts while travelling in the U.S.

The daily Easy Roam fee is valid for 24 hours, and applies when you make or pick up a call and send a text or use data abroad.
Phone calls to numbers in Canada and the U.S. are included.
If your plan includes Shock-Free® data, you'll continue to receive data notifications while travelling and have the option to top-up at the domestic rate.
See included destinations
😎
Nov 24, 2007
150 posts
106 upvotes
Toronto
just curious if anyone has look at any other options besides the T-Mobile Tourist plan? anything cheaper/better?
TIA!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5717 posts
1774 upvotes
Ottawa
Although I find the $7 a ripoff, I think for most people it's the best option. The biggest reason is that you keep the same number - if you use a Roam or T-Mobile or any other SIM, you will not get calls / texts sent to your number - for me that's a deal breaker. The other benefit is that there's nothing to do. For Roam you have to order a SIM (you might be able to buy locally in some areas), for T-Mobile, you likely have to go to a store in the US (so you won't have a phone for a bit when you get to the US). Also, these options require you to have an unlocked phone which not everyone has (although I guess with the new CRTC ruling on locked phones, most people should be able to get an unlocked phone).

--- update ---

Just to correct an false statement I made above, you can get a T-Mobile SIM from Amazon delivered to Canada. I'm not sure what's required to activate but I'm guessing it can be done online or by phone so, with a bit of preparation, you can be set up on T-Mobile for your arrival in the US.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
9556 posts
4128 upvotes
Toronto
I am going to the USA tmr. Should I activate the roam tonight or tomorrow morning?
Sharing is Caring - Without people sharing info, these forums would not exist and no one would benefit from it. Don't be selfish.

They really need to show who downvotes so we can find out the mofus is
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
3432 posts
609 upvotes
Pochacco wrote: I am going to the USA tmr. Should I activate the roam tonight or tomorrow morning?
If you’re talking about Easy Roam, it doesn’t matter - you wont get billed the first $7 until you start roaming usage.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5717 posts
1774 upvotes
Ottawa
random pattern wrote: If you’re talking about Easy Roam, it doesn’t matter - you wont get billed the first $7 until you start roaming usage.
You can (probably should) enable it right away but you pay $7 per 24hr period that you use it. If you care to maximize the benefit, make sure you turn off your data as soon as you are near the US since if you don't turn it off, the second you are in the US and your phone syncs your emails, you'll start your 24hr clock.

On a related note, maybe it's my phone but I can't just rely on turning my "data roaming" off. Even with data roaming off, I find that I'll get random roaming use (I'll have no calls, no texts and data roaming off but I'll get charge the $7/day at random times).

My other issue with Easy-Roam is that it's very easy to accidentally use it; I normally only use it a few days during trips when I need it (I have a cheap US phone that I use for most calls which is way cheaper than $7/day) but I'll receive a text and absentmindedly, I'll reply "ok" or something, forgetting that as soon as I click SEND, that just cost me $7 (since I likely won't use the phone for the rest of the day ...). It's totally something I have to do so I have no one to blame but myself but I find it's very easy to forget so I'd prefer if Easy-Roam asked you to confirm before you actually purchase.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1271 posts
743 upvotes
Ottawa
Worth noting (see bottom of https://www.koodomobile.com/easyroam ) that Easy Roam fees are capped at $100/billing period, for both (but separately) the $7/day US plan and the $10/day international plan.

As others have written, Roam Mobility or T-Mobile offer better solutions if you're away in the U.S. for a week or more, but the penalty for laziness by just sticking to EasyRoam is capped, and you do have the advantage of keeping your number.

I *think* (been a while since I checked) the T-Mobile plan does not let you call back to Canada for free, but the Roam Mobility one does. Someone please correct me if wrong.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5717 posts
1774 upvotes
Ottawa
houska wrote: ...

I *think* (been a while since I checked) the T-Mobile plan does not let you call back to Canada for free, but the Roam Mobility one does. Someone please correct me if wrong.
For US providers calling back to Canada, you really have to check each provider. I don't remember T-Mobile but Roam did at least let you do it before (I haven't used it in a few years). I use Tracfone which allows unlimited calls to Canada (and provides for free a Canadian number people can call you at) but it's a bit of a pain as to call Canada, you have to first dial the access number which means you can't just dial directly from your contacts. Also it's calls only, you can't text a canadian number (which to me is a total pain since I tend to text more than call).