Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Koodo

Wireless Home Phone for $5/Month for 12 Months (Reg. $20)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 3rd, 2021 12:50 pm
Jun 21, 2010
781 posts
628 upvotes
London
9613019 wrote: Your Fido device is locked to Fido. Need to unlock it first.
Koodo will not allow an unlocked hub from Fido on their network. You must buy their ZTE hub. I tried. and they would not accept the hub from Fido.
TELUS Mobility
CAN/US $30 75GB x 4
CAN/US POM Tablet $0.00 x 2
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20459 upvotes
9613019 wrote: It is very difficult to get it on an ongoing basis.
I guess I will wait patiently for the Zoomer $10 deal. I have been with Rogers wireless home phone for many years. They raise rates by like a buck every 2-3 years. So, no hot deal if it only last 12 months.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
4391 posts
1505 upvotes
QC
I'm still on the 10$/mo from last year promo. Looks like koodo is running that promo now a few time per year. Can you switch price online?
Dec 24, 2010
408 posts
269 upvotes
Montreal
My $5/month just ran out from last year and now I am on $20/mth.

Is there any way to prolong the $5/mth further?

I found this service is incompatible with faxes and certain answering devices. Other than that, call quality is great. I would have preferred VOIP/Obi200 if I had internet. This is the best way without an internet connection.

Also I thought as of last December the law requires them to unlock their hub for free. Is it not the case for these home phones?
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
4018 posts
2517 upvotes
Halifax
BestFind wrote: My $5/month just ran out from last year and now I am on $20/mth.

Is there any way to prolong the $5/mth further?

I found this service is incompatible with faxes and certain answering devices. Other than that, call quality is great. I would have preferred VOIP/Obi200 if I had internet. This is the best way without an internet connection.

Also I thought as of last December the law requires them to unlock their hub for free. Is it not the case for these home phones?
You can unlock the Koodo hub for free, the Koodo Home Phone SIM is still locked to using only Koodo hubs though, which the December law does not cover.

I had to set up a new Koodo account with another email address to extend the $5 deal. Never got around to porting the old Koodo number to the new hub. I was so annoyed with the Koodo experience that I ported to Magicjack so I could then forward to other numbers at will. Fongo could do the same.

Never figured out how to return the new hub without cancelling the service, since I have enough Koodo hubs already. End up paying $10 a month instead of $5 if you count the cost of the hub.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
7774 posts
1646 upvotes
Toronto
bridonca wrote: You can unlock the Koodo hub for free, the Koodo Home Phone SIM is still locked to using only Koodo hubs though, which the December law does not cover.

I had to set up a new Koodo account with another email address to extend the $5 deal. Never got around to porting the old Koodo number to the new hub. I was so annoyed with the Koodo experience that I ported to Magicjack so I could then forward to other numbers at will. Fongo could do the same.

Never figured out how to return the new hub without cancelling the service, since I have enough Koodo hubs already. End up paying $10 a month instead of $5 if you count the cost of the hub.
Can I sell a Koodo hub to someone who wants to sign up?
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
4018 posts
2517 upvotes
Halifax
Inno wrote: Can I sell a Koodo hub to someone who wants to sign up?
Sure, but you are not going to get any buyer that intends to use the $5 plan. I needed to buy another hub even though I already have a few already
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2009
2757 posts
1630 upvotes
Ontario
bridonca wrote: You can unlock the Koodo hub for free, the Koodo Home Phone SIM is still locked to using only Koodo hubs though, which the December law does not cover.

My $5 per month deal has expired. How did you set up a email account and extend the $5 deal? When I tried to set up a new account, I would have to pay for the hub and SIM card for $55, how do you get around that?
Currently happy customer with Koodo, Roger and Virgin Mobile.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
3320 posts
2372 upvotes
Is it possible to just get the SIM card and use it on our phones or is the SIM locked to the modem? It would be nice to use it as unlimited voice minutes for five bucks a month, but I don't feel like they're going to make it that easy for me..
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
4018 posts
2517 upvotes
Halifax
Headbeancounter wrote: My $5 per month deal has expired. How did you set up a email account and extend the $5 deal? When I tried to set up a new account, I would have to pay for the hub and SIM card for $55, how do you get around that?
I did not get around it. It ended up costing 10 a month if you account for the extra box you do not need. Still worth it.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
4018 posts
2517 upvotes
Halifax
IEpicDestroyer wrote: Is it possible to just get the SIM card and use it on our phones or is the SIM locked to the modem? It would be nice to use it as unlimited voice minutes for five bucks a month, but I don't feel like they're going to make it that easy for me..
And they wont. Their SIM card is locked to only work on their Koodo hubs, I tried. Not sure if it is an IMEI lock, but if it was, some phones have the ability to change the IMEI, but you would be travelling in very technical and grey territory there.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2009
2757 posts
1630 upvotes
Ontario
bridonca wrote: I did not get around it. It ended up costing 10 a month if you account for the extra box you do not need. Still worth it.
Thanks for the explanation, Virgin Mobile has the same deal: $5 per month plus $39.99 for home hub (not sure how much they charge for SIM) but they also charge $25 for one time connection charge, so I may end up doing the same as you, but there will be a soft hit on my credit score, right?

Update: I sent Koodo an email telling them that I intended to switch to Virgin and they gave me the $5 deal for 12 months, so there is no harm trying.
Currently happy customer with Koodo, Roger and Virgin Mobile.
Dec 24, 2010
408 posts
269 upvotes
Montreal
bridonca wrote: I did not get around it. It ended up costing 10 a month if you account for the extra box you do not need. Still worth it.
Were you able to port the old Koodo number to the new hub? My $5 has expired in February and it is worth it to buy another hub and go through the $5 deal only if I can port my number over. Are you able to do the referral credit also so they credit you $50 essentially to counter the price of the new hub?

Update: Like the previous post, I sent Koodo an email asking for extending the $5/month for another year. They phoned me back to grant me the extension, so there is no need for me to switch to Virgin. Good service from Koodo - I am satisfied with the deal!

Thanks
Last edited by BestFind on Feb 22nd, 2018 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
3659 posts
1647 upvotes
Toronto
BestFind wrote: Were you able to port the old Koodo number to the new hub? My $5 has expired in February and it is worth it to buy another hub and go through the $5 deal only if I can port my number over. Are you able to do the referral credit also so they credit you $50 essentially to counter the price of the new hub?

Thanks
Referral is YMMV for home phone.
Zoomer Wireless, Fido Tablet Plan
Carry Tel Internet
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
4018 posts
2517 upvotes
Halifax
BestFind wrote: Were you able to port the old Koodo number to the new hub? My $5 has expired in February and it is worth it to buy another hub and go through the $5 deal only if I can port my number over. Are you able to do the referral credit also so they credit you $50 essentially to counter the price of the new hub?

Thanks
I ported the old Koodo number over to Magicjack, because it was $3 a month all in, and it offers decent call forwarding options. If I decide to port again, I will use a Rogers number I have, they have been pissing me off lately.
Sep 25, 2011
146 posts
59 upvotes
Mississauga
SkinnyB wrote: Actually it does work with alarm systems (mine anyway). I had the same question so just signed up to try.

I disconnected the incoming landline at the demarc, then just plugged the hub into an available jack in the house and all jacks were lit up.

The hub produces a dial tone which was the important part, from what i understand as I'm not an expert.

PS Long time reader first time poster.
Did you try to do an alarm test to see if the monitoring company does phone back? That may be the real test.
Feb 13, 2018
2 posts
3 upvotes
ecast2000 wrote: Did you try to do an alarm test to see if the monitoring company does phone back? That may be the real test.
Yup, I tripped the alarm on purpose and got a call back during my testing. In fact they called me yesterday to tell me one of my wireless sensors was reporting a low battery,

It appears that as long as your alarm only needs to pickup the line and get a dial tone this works just fine.

B
Jul 18, 2010
24 posts
10 upvotes
Winnipeg
Rogers is now offering the "Wireless Home Phone" for free for 12 months, as a loyalty plan. They very helpful agent said it had to be at least 6 months, but I'm not clear if it was 6 months of service in general, or 6 months of Wireless Home Phone. At any rate, I am now paying $96/mth for two cells sharing 15GB of data and unlimited Canada wide calling and texting, plus 3 Wireless Home phone lines. I'm using the 3 Wireless Home Phones as intended (with "desk" type phones connected to them), and benefiting from the 30% discount offered for Employee Discount Plan. Also, the Rogers Wireless Home Phone now includes unlimited US calling.
Nov 6, 2018
1 posts
Dont even think about koodo home phone ... I called Poland for 5 cents per minute with international saver for 3 dollars a month since last month they start to charge me without any notice 14 cents per minute !!!! That's almost 300% !!!!!!! Lady on the phone said in agreement one of the points talking about price change ..... I asked if price for different countries change she said no...just Poland only .... what a company to deal with ... never again... just cancel this bull...
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2011
1530 posts
963 upvotes
GTA
Can someone comment on how the porting process would work from a landline?

I would like to order one for my mother’s house, but don’t want them to port her # out while the hub is in transit.

Do I call Koodo once the hub arrives and I’m at my mother’s house then they initiate the process to port her # to the SIM?