Computers & Electronics

Koodo Wireless Home Phone vs Oomla (VOIP)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 6th, 2020 1:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 24, 2006
10117 posts
636 upvotes
Mississauga

Koodo Wireless Home Phone vs Oomla (VOIP)

Switching from a dedicated landline to Koodo wireless home phone, you can definitely notice a difference.

Is Oomla a better option vs Koodo or would it be about the same? Rogers and Bell charge so much in comparison for Home Phone and you can only get any half decent deal when it's included in an overpriced bundle.
12 replies
Jun 21, 2008
495 posts
119 upvotes
mississauga
i had koodo wireless home phone , $5 per month for 12 months then $20 p.m, ported to voip.ms $.85 U.S.(roughly $1 canadian per month. Then ported to public mobile so no need for home phone
Sep 27, 2009
740 posts
99 upvotes
Calgary
I had a VOIP home phone (voip.ms) for a few years and although it is cheap and works most of the times, it does have a few snags:
1. If you are torrenting or downloading, the VOIP line can get a bit of latency and garbled voice . You can assign priority on the VOIP device but it can still happen
2. Once in a while the VOIP provider goes down and you need to manually restart it. Generally a VOIP setup works but it does require a bit of maintenance once in a while.

My current setup is Koodo home phone. I had it for 5$/month, it went to $20, called in to have it lowered again and I was offered $10/month with no expiration date. For me $10/month is worth it for a no hassle experience.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
3129 posts
702 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
koodoo is wireless and does not need a broadband internet connectoin, but VoipMS.com is a voip company so they NEED a broadband connection, so that actually if u think about it increases your operating costs.
Hi
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 24, 2006
10117 posts
636 upvotes
Mississauga
But how is the quality? Would a wireless sim from Koodo be the same as a VOIP solution like Oomla?
Jun 21, 2008
495 posts
119 upvotes
mississauga
Tijuana wrote: But how is the quality? Would a wireless sim from Koodo be the same as a VOIP solution like Oomla?
for the year that i had it, koodo home phone was great, hassle free, great sound(remember all you get is a box, you have to supply the phone, I used cordless), no dropped calls, voicemail inc.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2012
1426 posts
650 upvotes
Kelowna
@GoodFellaz is correct. Koodo Wireless Home Phone isn't VoIP. It's a wireless telephone service through a mobile device (a ZTE hub) that connects to the LTE cellular network. Oomla is VoIP. Actually, Shaw Digital Phone is closer to being VoIP in that it goes over your cable connection except supposedly they have a separate network/bandwidth for it. It's the most over-priced relative to Telus/wireless home phone/VoIP.

I think VoIP home phone is fine, but it depends on how much you use it. Also, it's not clear you can port your phone number to Oomla since it's just a device and there's no annual subscription fee for it. So there's that. Why not MagicJack or Fongo?

Cheers,
Doug
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2002
2008 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
Switched my parents landline to Koodo Wireless Home Phone. Its' great, can take the phone to cottage to use aswell since it is a celluar service.. Haven't tried to put the sim into a phone but it should work (i think).

Also, when Koodo had a promo for $5/month, they automatically applied it to the account. Sweet.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2012
1426 posts
650 upvotes
Kelowna
xxgg wrote: Switched my parents landline to Koodo Wireless Home Phone. Its' great, can take the phone to cottage to use aswell since it is a celluar service.. Haven't tried to put the sim into a phone but it should work (i think).

Also, when Koodo had a promo for $5/month, they automatically applied it to the account. Sweet.
I was actually thinking this could be my new cell phone service. Pack the ZTE adapter into a daypack, along with a cheap cordless phone, and set it up wherever a power outlet is available. I wonder what merchants would think seeing me set it up in an open power outlet? :P

Cheers,
Doug
Mar 17, 2015
342 posts
455 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
jensen1 wrote: i had koodo wireless home phone , $5 per month for 12 months then $20 p.m, ported to voip.ms $.85 U.S.(roughly $1 canadian per month. Then ported to public mobile so no need for home phone
Thanks, we were about to go with this option then saw your post. Confirmed Koodo ups the price after one year... that's a deal breaker for us. $20/month is not worth it, especially on top of $65 hardware. Looks like we're re-activating our magicjack...
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2012
1426 posts
650 upvotes
Kelowna
Wheatboy wrote: Thanks, we were about to go with this option then saw your post. Confirmed Koodo ups the price after one year... that's a deal breaker for us. $20/month is not worth it, especially on top of $65 hardware. Looks like we're re-activating our magicjack...
The Koodo representative probably gave you the scripted reply. You probably warranted a guarantee that they wouldn't raise your price, which he or she can't do. However, I suspect @jensen1 called and threatened to switch, quoted competitor's price, established he or she had multiple Telus products, and managed to get $5 Wireless Home Phone indefinitely.

Why not Ooma, though? Isn't it $9.99/mo. for Canadian calling? Sure, that's not as cheap as MagicJack, but call quality will be better.

If more people would cancel their cell phones and just use their cell phones on wifi, then they could easily justify spending more on a landline.

I will probably never own a cell phone again.

Cheers,
Doug
Mar 17, 2015
342 posts
455 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
dmehus wrote: The Koodo representative probably gave you the scripted reply. You probably warranted a guarantee that they wouldn't raise your price, which he or she can't do. However, I suspect @jensen1 called and threatened to switch, quoted competitor's price, established he or she had multiple Telus products, and managed to get $5 Wireless Home Phone indefinitely.

Why not Ooma, though? Isn't it $9.99/mo. for Canadian calling? Sure, that's not as cheap as MagicJack, but call quality will be better.

If more people would cancel their cell phones and just use their cell phones on wifi, then they could easily justify spending more on a landline.

I will probably never own a cell phone again.

Cheers,
Doug
Never spoke to rep, just looked for fine print & it states they jack up the price. Our landline/homephone may get used as little as once a month or as much as once every week & a half. Thus there's no point in paying more than necessary. Call quality has been perfectly fine for us (no echoes, no static, clear sound). We'd prefer a pay as you go cell but have yet to see a plan that'd be less expensive than magicjack. Jensen1 only got the price down to $10/month (still 120/yr vs 75-ish with mj).

Not sure that calling only wifi on cell is adequate yet. Will have to look into. Thanks for tip!

Cheers
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
4696 posts
1252 upvotes
GTEH!
jensen1 wrote: for the year that i had it, koodo home phone was great, hassle free, great sound(remember all you get is a box, you have to supply the phone, I used cordless), no dropped calls, voicemail inc.
dmehus wrote: @GoodFellaz is correct. Koodo Wireless Home Phone isn't VoIP. It's a wireless telephone service through a mobile device (a ZTE hub) that connects to the LTE cellular network. Oomla is VoIP. Actually, Shaw Digital Phone is closer to being VoIP in that it goes over your cable connection except supposedly they have a separate network/bandwidth for it. It's the most over-priced relative to Telus/wireless home phone/VoIP.

I think VoIP home phone is fine, but it depends on how much you use it. Also, it's not clear you can port your phone number to Oomla since it's just a device and there's no annual subscription fee for it. So there's that. Why not MagicJack or Fongo?

Cheers,
Doug
xxgg wrote: Switched my parents landline to Koodo Wireless Home Phone. Its' great, can take the phone to cottage to use aswell since it is a celluar service.. Haven't tried to put the sim into a phone but it should work (i think).

Thanks for all the info/feedback. Was thinking to switch to Koodo wireless Home Phone.
😎