Food & Drink

Korean street food - what type of cabbage, lettuce used??

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2020 1:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13272 posts
2619 upvotes
Pacific Ocean

Korean street food - what type of cabbage, lettuce used??

Watching these S. Korean street food vids. What type of cabbage, lettuce is used here?? The white strands. Wanna try these at home. Simple enuff. Very westernized if you ask me. I recall mom making something similar as a kid.

Top 7 S.Korean street foods.

If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
13 replies
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13272 posts
2619 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Reminds me of napa cabbage (kimchi cabbage) but without the leafy green parts. Hmmm... could also be korean perilla cabbage?? OR am I thinking to much here, lol. Taiwanese flat cabbage?? Ball head cabbage??
Dec 14, 2010
486 posts
194 upvotes
It's the flat round cabbage, many Asian grocery stores call them Korean cabbage. They are also good if you shred it thin and top with Japanese sesame dressing.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13272 posts
2619 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
berieberie wrote: It's the flat round cabbage, many Asian grocery stores call them Korean cabbage. They are also good if you shred it thin and top with Japanese sesame dressing.
You mean like these?? Got it. Thanks. I think officially they are called Taiwanese flathead cabbage.

Feb 5, 2017
44 posts
18 upvotes
Nappa is a alternative or if your more fusion type, Daikon or Kale for the more healthy choice..Cheers.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12476 posts
7255 upvotes
Markham
I just made this on the weekend after I saw Maangchi make it. I even made the bread....Hokkaido Milk Bread.

I just used regular cabbage, the Taiwanese cabbage you posted should be OK as well. I probably wouldn't use napa cabbage.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes ... ead-recipe

We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
597 upvotes
Toronto
That sandwich is the 1st video looks delicious, where in the GTA can you buy something similar to this?
Feb 5, 2007
693 posts
296 upvotes
Mississauga
korean cabbage aka kole. (flatter one).
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13272 posts
2619 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
leeoku wrote: korean cabbage aka kole. (flatter one).
Got one today in K-town. Dont know why peeps call it Korean cabbage. Everywhere online states the name as Taiwanese flathead cabbage.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13272 posts
2619 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
K, made this today... nothing great. Just a veggie western omelet stack on bread with a slice of ham. Give it 6/10. Neutral Face
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12476 posts
7255 upvotes
Markham
aznnorth wrote: K, made this today... nothing great. Just a veggie western omelet stack on bread with a slice of ham. Give it 6/10. Neutral Face
Not quite like a simple omelette IMO.

Did you use all of that butter and put a TBLSP of sugar, ketchup etc?

[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13272 posts
2619 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
gr8dlr wrote: Not quite like a simple omelette IMO.

Did you use all of that butter and put a TBLSP of sugar, ketchup etc?
YUP, exactly like the vids... everything, bought milk bread, taiwanese flathead cabbage. Exactly like the very first vid in OP post less the meats (didnt want any). Every1's taste buds are different I guess.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12476 posts
7255 upvotes
Markham
aznnorth wrote: YUP, exactly like the vids... everything, bought milk bread, taiwanese flathead cabbage. Exactly like the very first vid in OP post less the meats (didnt want any). Every1's taste buds are different I guess.
Agreed. My lunch today. Worthy of the experiment and to serve to someone who may not have had it before IMO.

IMG_20200417_124559.jpg