None
[OP]
Penalty Box
Oct 26, 2007
897 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto

Koryo Korean BBQ food court Bramalea city centre

Went to Bramalea city centre for the 1st time tonight. Not a bad mall, seem similar to Scarborough Town Centre in terms of style, what with the A&P attached to the mall like that.

Anyways, checked out the food court and they had a mellonheads there (gross, flying hair in the food court) and a comic world (strange).

They did have a Koryo Korean BBQ serving food similar to the Korean AYCE BBQ and it smelled really good, had to try it as there is nowhere with Korean food in the food court except those Asian malls in Scarborough, ordered BBQ beef with 2 scoops of rice and 2 sides. $6.99.

Pro - beef was a real piece of beef grilled when ordered and good also

Con- my sides were kimchee and garlic potatoes, they also had pasta salad and grilled zuchinis (now when are those Korean sides?)

Pro - those garlic potatoes were out of this world-kinda sweet but really good

Does any think that it's long overdue that they have Korean Food in a mainstream food court?

Come to think of it, there's no Indian Food court presence either?

Only Chinese, Greek, Thai, Italian, British, and Mexican are represented.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2007
1316 posts
127 upvotes
rammingman wrote:
Does any think that it's long overdue that they have Korean Food in a mainstream food court?

There was one at Fairview mall up until maybe few years ago... IIRC they failed miserably. Being Korean myself, I have to say that Korean food doesn't lend itself to the Fast food concept well at all, especially at a mall. There's just too many preparations involved and most things take time to cook so it's not feasable for quick pick up in minutes type fast food. They also tend to be expensive and have pungent, strong scent to a lot of foods so that'd shun many of the customers away as well. I'd reckon the same goes for Indian food as well.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
1394 posts
85 upvotes
I disagree. If they stick to a few items it's feasible. Like galbi, bulgogi, ddak galbi can all be cooked in a few minutes (like those teriyaki places). They can just make a huge pot of pork bone soup that's ready to serve, or have like kampongi (spicy+sweet chicken), japchae, kimchee chigae, and bibimbap which can either be made ahead of time or very quickly (like bibimbap, just pile the veggies + meat on rice). But yeah there may be odour issues with some foods, esp. the kimchee ones.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2007
1316 posts
127 upvotes
kimbot wrote: I disagree. If they stick to a few items it's feasible. Like galbi, bulgogi, ddak galbi can all be cooked in a few minutes (like those teriyaki places). They can just make a huge pot of pork bone soup that's ready to serve, or have like kampongi (spicy+sweet chicken), japchae, kimchee chigae, and bibimbap which can either be made ahead of time or very quickly (like bibimbap, just pile the veggies + meat on rice). But yeah there may be odour issues with some foods, esp. the kimchee ones.
With Galbi and bulgogi, you're not taking into account of marinating the meat which, in its proper form, should sit for at least hours or even a day. With Teriyaki places its simple pan fry the meat, put sauce on top, so it's different. Pork bone soup is the same way, it takes hours to prepare if you want to do it properly. Fried meat dishes are definitely feasable though they're quite limited in authentic Korean cuisine. Overall, it all comes down to one thing: there will be way too much preparation time, effort, and cost involved for a business that's definitely not guaranteed to see a consistent traffic. It would be years until a store can see profit, if any, and that is assuming if it goes over well. For a place like Korean supermarkets/ktowns and Chinese malls, it's definitely got potential (and trust me, many of them STILL lose money), but for a mass scale contemporary mall, it's too much of a risk. If it's massively modified to cater to western tastes and increase customer base while minimizing base costs, then maybe, but then it wouldn't be true Korean food.

Location in Brampton may have promise though since there is sizeable Chinese population (who are already familiar with Korean food) as well as Indian/Pakistani population, who do have affinity for spicy foods. But once the novelty wears out, I'm predicting this store will struggle. Hopefully they succeed, but in a figure of speech, I wouldn't buy their stock.
Aug 17, 2005
260 posts
4 upvotes
They had a location in the T&T on Steeles and Toronto Life Square. Both locations have closed.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2547 posts
403 upvotes
darren9 wrote: They had a location in the T&T on Steeles and Toronto Life Square. Both locations have closed.
actually the Toronto Life Square reopen
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
3804 posts
57 upvotes
rammingman wrote: Went to Bramalea city centre for the 1st time tonight. Not a bad mall, seem similar to Scarborough Town Centre in terms of style, what with the A&P attached to the mall like that.

Anyways, checked out the food court and they had a mellonheads there (gross, flying hair in the food court) and a comic world (strange).

They did have a Koryo Korean BBQ serving food similar to the Korean AYCE BBQ and it smelled really good, had to try it as there is nowhere with Korean food in the food court except those Asian malls in Scarborough, ordered BBQ beef with 2 scoops of rice and 2 sides. $6.99.

Con- my sides were kimchee and garlic potatoes, they also had pasta salad and grilled zuchinis (now when are those Korean sides?)

They have one at sherway garden as well I tried it a few months back and have to agree the Garlic Potatoes were just amazing. But the food was alright. I would rather go to a korean bbq ayce instead.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2005
2548 posts
145 upvotes
rammingman wrote: Went to Bramalea city centre for the 1st time tonight. Not a bad mall, seem similar to Scarborough Town Centre in terms of style, what with the A&P attached to the mall like that.

They have west indian food which is by the BK
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3763 posts
1047 upvotes
They were at promenade until the construction began.. not bad at all.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2002
1063 posts
87 upvotes
Waterloo
It's not bad for fast food. The garlic potatoes are really good but they do get too sweet after a while.

The one at fairview mall in kitchener will let you substitute the rice with another side.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2003
1979 posts
301 upvotes
Toronto
they have one at the yonge/dundas food court too
i have to try it one day

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)