299$
Savings:
40%
Retailer:
La Cordee
More offers from La Cordee
Current Season's Arc'teryx Beta SL Hybrid Jacket

Bushwhack and Infrared colourways
Last edited by Henki on Dec 14th, 2019 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Instagram: @henki
16 replies
Nov 6, 2011
139 posts
88 upvotes
Edmonton
How warm are these? What's it rated too?
Jun 4, 2011
327 posts
419 upvotes
Toronto
Not at all, it is a shell. It's also using goretex paclite so is meant as an emergency shell not one to be used all the time.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
2343 posts
774 upvotes
YVR
Havox07 wrote: Not at all, it is a shell. It's also using goretex paclite so is meant as an emergency shell not one to be used all the time.
Agree with point 1. It really isn't warm at all, and meant to be used on top of another warm layer if you need it. Especially with the pit vents, it won't block wind that well.

Point 2 though, it can definitely be worn everyday. I've had mine for over a year and literally have it in my backpack everyday while travelling and wearing it both winter and summer. No sign of any wear so far.
Also met some folks that have had it for longer and one guy has been biking and hiking around Japan with it, pretty rough with it too and also no issues.
Zoomer
Mar 16, 2018
743 posts
842 upvotes
Hamilton
Havox07 wrote: Not at all, it is a shell. It's also using goretex paclite so is meant as an emergency shell not one to be used all the time.
It's a bit more complicated than that. This is the SL Hybrid - it has Paclite in the arms etc and a more durable 3-layer fabric in the torso and shoulders in high wear areas. If you check out the blue version, you can see it a bit more clearly where the 3 layer fabric is: Image.

I don't own the SL Hybrid, but from what I've read, it should be fine for an everyday shell. Here's a good writeup: https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/ ... rid-womens
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
20965 posts
3548 upvotes
YUL
Vdragoon wrote: How warm are these? What's it rated too?
Not very, but combined with an Atom LT underneath I can wear that combo down to about 0 degrees
Feb 19, 2013
151 posts
29 upvotes
Montreal
I'm 181 cm and 80kg. What size should I choose from Arc'teryx?
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2006
2611 posts
519 upvotes
Agreed, don't get the regular SL for everyday use, but the Hybrid is find. And this one has pit zips vs. SL which doesn't.
Mar 16, 2018
743 posts
842 upvotes
Hamilton
ffviii wrote: I'm 181 cm and 80kg. What size should I choose from Arc'teryx?
I'm around your size - large should be a good fit. Arc'teryx is sized for layering, but is otherwise an athletic fit.
Oct 11, 2016
515 posts
496 upvotes
ffviii wrote: I'm 181 cm and 80kg. What size should I choose from Arc'teryx?
I'm the same height and weight and wear a medium. You can also get a large if you like a baggy feel.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2004
1372 posts
527 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I bought this years ago from TLH for $165. never wore it other than packing it on trips for emergencies. it is a bit baggy but SL is meant to be a rain coat on top
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
2743 posts
3062 upvotes
I tried these shells. Feels and sounds like wearing stiff garbage bags on you. Also, unless you're tall and thin you will look absurd wearing this over an Atom or a Cerium, it's just too loose and bulky. If you're not doing downhill sports I would pass. I own five Arc pieces so this isn't some backhanded insult.
Feb 18, 2007
899 posts
1085 upvotes
Vancouver
ownthesky wrote: I'm around your size - large should be a good fit. Arc'teryx is sized for layering, but is otherwise an athletic fit.
Rofl.

Fit is person specific, you can get in a general ball park for sizing but you CANNOT tell someone what it is over the internet.

Go to a store and actually try it out. You'd be surprised how many slight differences in fit there are between different models and sizes.

RE: I worked in an Arc brand store
Feb 18, 2007
899 posts
1085 upvotes
Vancouver
thelasthunter wrote: I tried these shells. Feels and sounds like wearing stiff garbage bags on you. Also, unless you're tall and thin you will look absurd wearing this over an Atom or a Cerium, it's just too loose and bulky. If you're not doing downhill sports I would pass. I own five Arc pieces so this isn't some backhanded insult.
The SL is the least loose and bulky of the entire line from AR -to SV

What?
Feb 18, 2007
899 posts
1085 upvotes
Vancouver
TeriyakiJack wrote: Agree with point 1. It really isn't warm at all, and meant to be used on top of another warm layer if you need it. Especially with the pit vents, it won't block wind that well.

Point 2 though, it can definitely be worn everyday. I've had mine for over a year and literally have it in my backpack everyday while travelling and wearing it both winter and summer. No sign of any wear so far.
Also met some folks that have had it for longer and one guy has been biking and hiking around Japan with it, pretty rough with it too and also no issues.
Every thread like **** clockwork the same post.

SL is NOT meant for everyday wear.

Just because YOU can wear it everyday doesn't mean everyone should. It was the LEAST durable out of the LT/AR/SV line up.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8760 posts
3219 upvotes
Mississauga
danascully wrote: Every thread like **** clockwork the same post.

SL is NOT meant for everyday wear.

Just because YOU can wear it everyday doesn't mean everyone should. It was the LEAST durable out of the LT/AR/SV line up.
Why pay $300 for something that is supposedly high quality, but yet, cannot be worn everyday? Are there parameters for when one is supposed to be able to wear a shell/jacket - like when conditions are this and not that, or when weather is that and not this? Or is there a limit to how many days in a row you should wear it before giving it minimum x number of days off?

The suggestion of something being less durable and therefore you shouldn't wear it everyday sounds rather ludacris.
https://www.switchbacktravel.com/review ... -sl-hybrid
Build Quality and Durability
Arc’teryx was incredibly thoughtful in designing the Beta SL Hybrid. First, the two Gore-Tex fabrics are strategically placed to boost durability in wear-prone areas, with 2-layer Paclite (40 denier) around the body and thicker 3-layer standard Gore-Tex (42 denier) in places more likely to abrade, like under the arms and along the shoulders. As we’ve come to expect from Arc’teryx, all other details are meticulously executed: the seams and taping haven’t peeled, the jacket has shown no signs of fraying or wear, and all zippers still operate smoothly after months of heavy use. And perhaps most notably, the shoulders and back look like new despite being rubbed against a heavy backpack frequently.