Fitness and Nutrition

LA Fitness Re-opening in Ontario

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 31st, 2022 7:20 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2014
1365 posts
891 upvotes

LA Fitness Re-opening in Ontario

Got this email earlier today, thought I'd share it.
We have good news! Ontario has announced plans to allow health clubs in several regions to open on Friday, July 24th. In turn, our plan is to open the ten clubs we operate in those regions (see below) on that date at 6 am, assuming the province remains on track to allow this. Thank you for your patience, loyalty and support while waiting for this to happen! You have been missed and we are looking forward to welcoming you back in person.

The ten clubs we intend to open are:

  • Aurora – Bayview Ave, 15650 Bayview Ave., Aurora
  • Burlington – Brant St., 1326 Brant St., Burlington
  • Burlington North – Appleby Line, 3011 Appleby Line, Burlington
  • East Gwillimbury, 18367 Yonge Street, East Gwillimbury
  • Markham – Woodbine Ave., 8555 Woodbine Ave., Markham
  • Milton – Maple Ave., 1117 Maple Ave., Milton
  • Niagara Falls – Canada, 6767 Morrison St., Niagara Falls
  • Oshawa – Ritson Rd., 1189 Ritson Road North Unit 4A, Oshawa
  • Vaughan, 9350 Bathurst Street, Vaughan
  • Whitby Taunton Rd., 350 Taunton Road East, Whitby

The club hours for now will be:

  • Monday – Friday 6am – 8pm
  • Saturday & Sunday 8am – 5pm

While closed, we’ve been working on changes aimed at making our clubs the safest place you can work out. Please watch our video - it shows you some of the changes we have made to our processes at these clubs - and also make sure you are familiar with Ontario’s guidelines (Reopening Guidelines) Here are some changes you can expect for now:

  1. Face coverings will be required at all times, unless otherwise permitted by local rules. Please bring your own face coverings. We will be checking at the door.
  2. Physical distancing of at least 2 meters should be practiced at all times, even when wearing a face covering.
  3. For everyone’s safety, stay home if you have a fever or are symptomatic. Workers will be screened to be certain they are not experiencing symptoms such as fever and that they have not had close contact with an individual diagnosed with COVID-19.
  4. Building occupancy will be capped at 50 people at any given time (excluding staff) to allow for proper social distancing. so please limit your workout to one hour. We are keeping track of the capacity through our check-in/check-out system.
  5. We ask that everyone check in one by one and use contactless check-in. Our LA Fitness mobile app has a feature that allows for this and will also alert you if the club is at capacity and when there is space available for you to enter.
  6. We have closed off some equipment to comply with physical distancing requirements.
  7. We ask that you bring your own towel, mat and water. Use of water fountains will be restricted.
  8. The basketball court is open, but only for workouts (not for playing basketball).
  9. Some amenities may be closed, including the Kids Klub, squash courts, showers, spa and sauna/steam room. The pools will be open soon but usage limited to one person at a time in every other lane.
  10. Please consider arriving at the club dressed in workout attire, as locker availability may be limited. If you use a locker, please sanitize it when you are done.
  11. Participation in group exercise classes will be capped to ensure attendees can remain at least 2 meters apart, as required by provincial guidelines. Class times will be spaced to allow for additional cleaning in between classes. You may also be required to sign up at the front desk in advance to reserve your spot in the class. To help manage capacity, classes will be scheduled at non-peak times.
  12. All staff have been trained to participate in cleaning and disinfecting.
  13. All staff will be wearing masks and gloves (when necessary).

We also encourage you to help keep yourself and your fellow members safe by familiarizing yourself with, and following, current local and provincial guidelines. As such guidelines often stress, please do not visit the club if you are sick or experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, and consider postponing your use of the club if you are an at-risk individual.
25 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
31896 posts
18890 upvotes
Toronto
face coverings at all time - how can people breath when they are working really hard, such as running on treadmill ? For me, no shower is a deal breaker for me and will force me to cancel my membership as I don't have the time to go there for 1 hr or less and then hurry home and shower & change and then go to work.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2013
1349 posts
826 upvotes
booblehead wrote: face coverings at all time - how can people breath when they are working really hard, such as running on treadmill ?
Athletes have been using training masks (pre Covid-19) to strengthen their respiratory system. But of course they are professionals and have personal trainers to monitor.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
31896 posts
18890 upvotes
Toronto
sorry. I am only a novice runner and right now, I have yet to see anyone on the streets running with a mask on. I already find it hard to breath while going grocery shopping while wearing one.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
15003 posts
11527 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Should at least cut membership prices by 50% off

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
31896 posts
18890 upvotes
Toronto
i agree. If they are going to cut services/amenities, then it is only fair some form of price rebate should be given if they want their customers base intact.
Jr. Member
Jan 23, 2007
145 posts
140 upvotes
GTA
Any idea if LA fitness will waive the monthly freeze fee for those that don't feel comfortable going back to the gym yet? I believe GoodLife is giving that option.
Member
Jul 28, 2017
259 posts
694 upvotes
So it doesn't sound like LA has a pre-booking system. I've checked the website and app and don't see that option.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
31896 posts
18890 upvotes
Toronto
hmm. first come, first served will not work for me if that's the case ... show up and there are like 50 people standing outside and waiting. Confused Face
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2014
1365 posts
891 upvotes
booblehead wrote: hmm. first come, first served will not work for me if that's the case ... show up and there are like 50 people standing outside and waiting. Confused Face
Exactly. They updated their app and when you try to use contactless check-in, it says you must be within x metres to use it. So basically you have no way of knowing the capacity until you get there.

Wonder how they enforce the 1 hour rule if everyone is indistinguishable with masks on. They going to yell your name or just process of elimination?

I think I'll be cancelling to be honest, not worth the money unless the revamp rules.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
31896 posts
18890 upvotes
Toronto
My term is set to expire October 31. Therefore, just about 3 months left + 4.5 months of non usage.

Have to see how they are going to handle my case and go from there.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 6, 2004
6830 posts
540 upvotes
GT'eh
whats with Toronto, Sauga and Brampton getting shafted, looks like no workout 4 you
Ne0's Bio:
➡Retired [email protected] & t3<h [0nn0!ss3ur ??? Spitting t3<hy lingo since the early 90's ➡Member of Crazy Group Buys ??? ➡ Feedback: eBay|1000+ ??? rFD | 300+
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
31896 posts
18890 upvotes
Toronto
News flash. They are not at stage 3
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
11132 posts
5521 upvotes
Vaughan
Has anyone received information on their account expiry date getting extended. Mine still shows the original date of September.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
31896 posts
18890 upvotes
Toronto
kenchau wrote: Has anyone received information on their account expiry date getting extended. Mine still shows the original date of September.
may have to go to the club in person to get it straightened out. I intend to do the same and clarify how my account stands.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
31896 posts
18890 upvotes
Toronto
the latest email received adds ...

The expiration date on your membership will be extended to cover the amount of time the club was not available to you during this closure.

This means adding 4.5 months extension. I need to go in next week to see if there is an option to simply get that unused portion back in refund
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
31896 posts
18890 upvotes
Toronto
LA fitness membership - on how they are going to handle the request on cancellation or freeze.

I visited my home club - Yonge & Shepard and the girl at the front desk (not an Operation Manager) but this is what she was told to inform anyone who is asking the above and this is the response:

Prepaid members -

Loss of partial March 17 - 31, 2020 usage will not be reimbursed / refunded / extended
April 1 - July 31, 2020 - full 4 months will be either extended or frozen every month at a service charge of $10 + HST. I believe the freeze is NOT indefinitely (meaning, while the club still owes you those 4 months, eventually, you could be asked to either unfreeze it or lose them entirely) For now, I can't recall exactly if that was the answer I got.
All request to have these 4 months of non usage refunded will NOT be given. Therefore, if you choose not to extend or freeze, then it's an automatic forefit.


Monthly paying members -

Anyone who paid between March 1 -16, 2020 will not be reimbursed / refunded / extended. Members that were scheduled to have their monthly fee withdrawn were all stopped from March 17 - July 31, 2020.
Since the club has since reopened, members who are worried of the COVID can request a freeze of their membership for up to 3 months. I believe the same $10 + HST applies to it as well.


Bottom line is: I will need to speak to the club Operation Manager next week to confirm what I have been told. For sure, LA Fitness will not refund and cancel memberships (for now).

btw, this Yonge & Shepard club will have very limited # of lockers available to members for use. The change room will still be opened. The shower will be allowed for usage. No water fountain and towel service.

**

If your local LA Fitness club is doing something totally different from the above, please update this thread.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
31896 posts
18890 upvotes
Toronto
At the time of my visit at mid afternoon , I would say 15 or fewer in the club. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
11132 posts
5521 upvotes
Vaughan
booblehead wrote: LA fitness membership - on how they are going to handle the request on cancellation or freeze.

I visited my home club - Yonge & Shepard and the girl at the front desk (not an Operation Manager) but this is what she was told to inform anyone who is asking the above and this is the response:

Prepaid members -

Loss of partial March 17 - 31, 2020 usage will not be reimbursed / refunded / extended
April 1 - July 31, 2020 - full 4 months will be either extended or frozen every month at a service charge of $10 + HST. I believe the freeze is NOT indefinitely (meaning, while the club still owes you those 4 months, eventually, you could be asked to either unfreeze it or lose them entirely) For now, I can't recall exactly if that was the answer I got.
All request to have these 4 months of non usage refunded will NOT be given. Therefore, if you choose not to extend or freeze, then it's an automatic forefit.


Monthly paying members -

Anyone who paid between March 1 -16, 2020 will not be reimbursed / refunded / extended. Members that were scheduled to have their monthly fee withdrawn were all stopped from March 17 - July 31, 2020.
Since the club has since reopened, members who are worried of the COVID can request a freeze of their membership for up to 3 months. I believe the same $10 + HST applies to it as well.


Bottom line is: I will need to speak to the club Operation Manager next week to confirm what I have been told. For sure, LA Fitness will not refund and cancel memberships (for now).

btw, this Yonge & Shepard club will have very limited # of lockers available to members for use. The change room will still be opened. The shower will be allowed for usage. No water fountain and towel service.

**

If your local LA Fitness club is doing something totally different from the above, please update this thread.
Do we have to go in to confirm extension or is it automatic?

Edit: Nevermind. Just logged into my account. They did it automatically.

My expiry date was September 13, 2020. It's been extended to February 6, 2021. That's actually five months minus a week.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
31896 posts
18890 upvotes
Toronto
I asked again this morning and I was told extension of 4 months are added on (for prepaid members). No need to do anything at all.

I did not ask for my new expired membership date. I was in a hurry to get out of there Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

Top