[Amazon.ca] La Grille Montreal Steak Spice Seasoning, 825g, $7.92

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2020 6:20 pm
[OP]
Aug 6, 2018
408 posts
2321 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] La Grille Montreal Steak Spice Seasoning, 825g, $7.92

Not a crazy deal, but it's a few bucks off of the regular price for this popular seasoning. Subscribe and Save options also available.

New low on CCC.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Jul 9th, 2020 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed link
53 replies
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
2470 posts
3156 upvotes
SAINT JOHN

Ben
TOP 500 REVIEWER
5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect
Reviewed in Canada on June 8, 2019
Verified Purchase
Love the size, the flavor, etc.

"The faceless person that decided to "serve" thick steaks with the spice mix was actually a man named "The Shadow." Morris "The Shadow" Sherman, to be exact. He was a broilerman who worked at Schwartz's, a legendary Montreal restaurant devoted to the Canadian cousin of pastrami called smoked meat. The famously pungent spice blend was used to cure the beef brisket before it was smoked and steamed. One day, Sherman sprinkled some of that smoked-meat blend over the liver he was broiling for his lunch. Customers clamored for the same spices on their steaks, and the Canadian Steak Invasion was underway.

Schwartz's way of seasoning steak soon caught fire across North America, where countless carnivores started sprinkling their steaks with pastrami spices. Without even knowing it. And though those spices were made popularized at Schwartz's, they didn't originate in Old Montreal—more like the Old World. Romania, to be specific. Romanian Jews like Schwartz's founder, Reuben Schwartz, brought their home country's spiced-meat tradition of "pastramă" with him when he immigrated to Canada and opened his deli. And just like other cultural treasures, those "pastramă" spices were adapted to their new country without most people being aware of their origins."
7 people found this helpful
Some history on the whole Montreal steak spice. Wished they would have have a second store in Toronto. We would stop by thier Montreal resturant whenever we where in Montreal and leave with some in the cooler for the drive home. If you're ever in Montreal you HAVE to stop by and try thier stuff.

SPICY!!

Last edited by thedealhunter2000 on Jul 3rd, 2020 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
5907 posts
1823 upvotes
Thornhill
Well, I bought it from NoFrills or something, back 2-3 years ago for about $6. I used it 2-3 times and it's still almost full. Best steak is freshly grounded pepper and salt.
All top chefs agree. So, imho, just a "gimmick"
I use voice typing and rarely read what I typed...
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2017
1100 posts
1741 upvotes
This is a vastly better deal than $4 188g at my local grocer, but I could never finish this in time.
Blowing all savings from RFD on deals from RFD 😂
Mar 15, 2005
656 posts
505 upvotes
thedealhunter2000 wrote: Some history on the whole Montreal steak spice. Wished they would have have a second store in Toronto.
Awesome little history lesson. Thanks.

Btw, https://sumilicious.ca/ isn't Schwartz but it's damn close, and absolutely delicious! Head chef worked at Schwartz for years before opening up this shop in Scarborough.
Jul 3, 2020
1 posts
Hello, does anyone know what it sells at Costco for? I just ran out today so might save a few.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
1764 posts
646 upvotes
GTA
discoblues wrote: Awesome little history lesson. Thanks.

Btw, https://sumilicious.ca/ isn't Schwartz but it's damn close, and absolutely delicious! Head chef worked at Schwartz for years before opening up this shop in Scarborough.
Thanks for the tip.
I just moved here from Montreal, and Schwartz is one of the things I'm going to miss most. Definitely going to check this place out!
Jun 16, 2020
36 posts
27 upvotes
I think this is cheaper than Costco.
Tangerine $25 Orange PIN Referral Bonus
Zoomer Wireless $40.50 per month for 6GB LTE+Unlimited Talk/Global Text plan. $50 Referral Bonus plus $100 New Customer Activation Credit plus free Samsung A20 phone (no monthly tab).
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1951 posts
1602 upvotes
It's a little spicy FYI. I feel still salt and pepper is enough.. Sometimes these spices drown out the meat flavour
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2009
1693 posts
356 upvotes
Toronto
Bought one last year for $6 didn't even use 1/4 of it. Usually don't use it on steaks though
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
2470 posts
3156 upvotes
SAINT JOHN
b33f wrote: Thanks for the tip.
I just moved here from Montreal, and Schwartz is one of the things I'm going to miss most. Definitely going to check this place out!
Curious, where is your avatar character from? What series is that from?
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)
Oct 18, 2012
392 posts
333 upvotes
Montréal
prophetca wrote: Hello, does anyone know what it sells at Costco for? I just ran out today so might save a few.
I think my local costco has this item
Jun 14, 2020
36 posts
65 upvotes
renegadeavenger wrote: It's a little spicy FYI. I feel still salt and pepper is enough.. Sometimes these spices drown out the meat flavour
Lol pepper is soo good not hot at all for megotta build up capcasium tolerance, we were all there when everything was spicy