Lab during 1st week.....Bad smell

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 2nd, 2018 10:33 am
Tags:
Feb 4, 2017
137 posts
33 upvotes

Lab during 1st week.....Bad smell

I have 8 week old Lab puppy. His mouth smells very bad....i checked his mouth ,it seems all clean- No dark spot...all teeth looks super white but it still has bad smell..He has his chew toys to remove plaque or tarter.... I asked breeder and breeder advised against using any of toothbrush or toothpaste....Breeder just recommended giving beef bone to clean but its unbearable.... I am reading materials online but there are behemoth of information on pet care with all different opinions.

What you guys use to clean dog mouth? Is toothpaste is really bad for dog health?
Any recommendation?
18 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
At 8 weeks old, plaque and tarter shouldn't have had a chance to even start yet. But I'm no vet. I'd advise taking him in and mentioning it to your vet. Do you have any shots or visits scheduled?

C
Feb 4, 2017
137 posts
33 upvotes
He had his first shots .I have vet visit scheduled on 16th Dec for his 2nd vaccines.....
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
bhushh009 wrote: He had his first shots .I have vet visit scheduled on 16th Dec for his 2nd vaccines.....
I would just put up with it for now, and ask your vet. Unless someone in here comes up with a great idea.

C
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2012
1092 posts
1141 upvotes
Toronto
It could be puppy breath. Puppy breath smells pretty bad. If so, nothing to be concerned about and it will pass.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
Definitely not plaque or tarter. What if puppy ate own poop or something that you're unaware of.
Jan 5, 2006
606 posts
40 upvotes
Whitby
69isfine wrote: He might need a lab test.
Ha! I see what you did there !
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13939 posts
5437 upvotes
It's most likely worms, chances are your puppy is still full of worm. Had it been dewormed yet?

Shouldn't be giving any bones to chew when they are puppy.

Is this your first dog?
The sweetest gyal
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
206 upvotes
Markham, ON
There are doggie toothbrush and toothpaste but my dogs never let me brush their teeth. I tried so it's just sitting at home but it works for some people so that's an option.

Your dog might clean it's own teeth by biting furniture. For example, coffee table.

My dog's favourite chew toy was a piece of wooden block that I used to hold doors open with. It's a dog, it has a mind of its own. Enjoy!
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2017
1536 posts
981 upvotes
GTA
Poppwl wrote: There are doggie toothbrush and toothpaste but my dogs never let me brush their teeth. I tried so it's just sitting at home but it works for some people so that's an option.

Your dog might clean it's own teeth by biting furniture. For example, coffee table.

My dog's favourite chew toy was a piece of wooden block that I used to hold doors open with. It's a dog, it has a mind of its own. Enjoy!
Solution, buy kid plastic furniture replacing your old furniture. No more biting.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
206 upvotes
Markham, ON
MadCanadian wrote: Solution, buy kid plastic furniture replacing your old furniture. No more biting.
Thank you for your wisdom. My dogs are mature, actually old, so they have ceased to bite furniture years ago.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2014
1041 posts
862 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Nothing to worry about but if you want to do something about it try giving him dentasticks every day.
Please respond
Banned
Sep 16, 2006
1010 posts
236 upvotes
Barrie, ON
bhushh009 wrote: I have 8 week old Lab puppy. His mouth smells very bad....i checked his mouth ,it seems all clean- No dark spot...all teeth looks super white but it still has bad smell..He has his chew toys to remove plaque or tarter.... I asked breeder and breeder advised against using any of toothbrush or toothpaste....Breeder just recommended giving beef bone to clean but its unbearable.... I am reading materials online but there are behemoth of information on pet care with all different opinions.

What you guys use to clean dog mouth? Is toothpaste is really bad for dog health?
Any recommendation?
We have always had dogs. Many family members and friends have always had dogs. I have never met a dog with "good" breath. Ever. Not once. Not a puppy, not an adult. Zero. None. Zip. Doesn't exist.
If you licked your own anus clean several times per day, your breath would always be bad too.
Banned
Sep 16, 2006
1010 posts
236 upvotes
Barrie, ON
As far as chewing furniture, Pet Valu sells an odorless spray called "apple bitter" that is made from a horrible bitter variety of apple. It is completely non toxic and it tastes awful. Dogs have one chew and never try again. Spray on furniture lightly ever week or two.
Feb 20, 2017
337 posts
106 upvotes
Barrie, ON
We have had a puppy since October in perfect health, he gets a dentastick every day and his breath still smells horrid. This is common in all dogs.
Jul 5, 2017
74 posts
23 upvotes
Mistersprinkles wrote:
If you licked your own anus clean several times per day, your breath would always be bad too.
This is funny, so better solution would be to smell the puppy anus and then probably he won't mind the bad breathe that much :)
Jul 5, 2017
74 posts
23 upvotes
bhushh009 wrote:
Any recommendation?
I'm no vet but had dogs almost my entire life. One thing that's seriously wrong here is Dog food. If your dog is on kibble then this is expected. Raw food is the best solution for it. If you have obligation with Raw food then cooked meat without bones is the other option. However, Calcium is very important nutrient for the dogs. I normally feed my puppy with chicken back and wings as raw and whole. I prefer prey model over everything else. The bad breathe is quite manageable with this diet. I usually give a lamb shoulder bone once a week for him/her to chew on which acts like floss and much needed calcium. There's no harm to running a brush once or twice a week too.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)