Jan 18, 2004
201 posts
4 upvotes

Labatt Shok "beer" + guarana

Simply HORRIBLE.

and I WORK FOR LABATT

I tried it today for the first time.

God-awful.

it is NOT EVEN BEER...it is a MALT BEVERAGE.

It tastes like beer with icing sugar added. GROSS.

It's 6.9% and has 60 mg of caffiene per can (about 2.5 cups of coffee)....but OH MAN is it bad.

I guess they were trying to emulate the Red Bull sweet flavour a bit, but with HORRIBLE results.

I hang my head in shame as a Labatt employee, and wonder HOW the lab-testers ever got this SWILL past the focus groups.

BOOOO!!!
13 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1955 upvotes
Elmira
ughhHH!!!!! i got suckered into splitting on a 4 pack of these.. i thought they were like MOLSON COLD SHOTS

i almost hurled

gave me one hell of a stomach ache the next morning too, and i only drank 2 of those at the end of the night
May 25, 2003
209 posts
25 upvotes
guarana is known to leave a strong aftertaste. hard part is hiding that aftertaste and still make it taste like beer.
have you guys tried molson kick? its not bad, tastes like beer and you can only detect a bit of an aftertaste.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
Lots of companies are getting on the "energy drink" bandwagon hype which by the way is quite a very smart way for these companies to market a highly addictive(because of excess caffeine) legal but expensive product(Starbucks :) )
to those who may not know the use of these drinks or just indulge because of the hype.

Marketed for athletes etc but most athletes especially professional ones will not put this crap into their bodies especially with drug testing etc now.

The combination of alcohol(delay purposes) with stuff like ginseng and yohimbe(libido enhancers) has long been used as aphrodisiacs by men.

If one looks at some of the ingredients one might see the potential to actually harm themselves because of the unnecessary jolt and increased blood pressure and heart rate, intestinal problems etc.

Alcohol itself is a depressant and guarana is a stimulant.

Anyone see the irony here.

The introduction of these energy inducing herbs like guarana in alcoholic drinks make it quite convenient to be sold in places associated with intimacy like bars and night clubs etc and once again men are the gullible ones who are willing to pay excessive prices for hype and promised potency enhancements etc.

http://www.gssiweb.com/reflib/refs/310/ ... 2.cfm?pf=1
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2002
8187 posts
9554 upvotes
Vancouver
Molson has 'Molson Kick' it's just regular beer with guarana added... tastes like regular beer. The guarana = 57mg of caffeine.

Ron.
Deal Guru
May 23, 2003
10229 posts
1652 upvotes
GTA
You can buy Gurana easily from bulk herb places. You can get a decent size bag for $9.00. Put it in capsules and you are set for a long time. I find that it is a nicer effect then pure caffeine.

EDIT: Info on Guarana : http://www.guarana.com/facts.html
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
9 upvotes
CA
So Kick vs Shok. Neither of them sounds appealing. I'll go back to my Keith's, Stella, Sleeman's etc. :D
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2004
10349 posts
8 upvotes
What is guarana, and why does everything new coming out have it?
So long. I'm outta here.
Nov 1, 2003
898 posts
1 upvote
d_jedi wrote:What is guarana, and why does everything new coming out have it?
its a stimulant which keeps you awake. aka Caffine
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2004
4952 posts
1086 upvotes
wouldn't this drink be called... "red-bull, vodka?"
"I live my life a quarter-mile at a time, for those 10 seconds or less... i'm free."
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2004
10349 posts
8 upvotes
Ngo_35 wrote:its a stimulant which keeps you awake. aka Caffine
Whoa.. Drew Carey was ahead of his time!
I want my Cap-beer-chino!
So long. I'm outta here.