6 upvotes

Raspberry Pi 4 4GB RAM Board + 64GB Micro SD Card Complete Starter Kit $107.36

Deal Link:
Price:
$107.36
Retailer:
labists.com
Get 22% off first order with code for CA: Labists222 + Free Shipping
  • Motherboard Raspberry Pi 4 Model B (4 B) Official 4GB RAM: New SOC Broadcom BCM2711, quad-core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit at 1.5GHz. Capable of supporting HEVC 4K streams at 60 fps and managing 2 screens in 4K. Dual band 802.11b / g / n / ac WiFi (2.4 / 5.0 GHz) and Bluetooth 5.0 module. Transfers via 2 USB 3.0 ports up to 10 times faster, 4 Gb / s or 500 MB / s
  • 5.1V 3A USB-C Power Adapter with On / Off Switch: Specially designed for the new requirement of Raspberry Pi 4 B 4 GB RAM. Convenient to provide 5.1V 3000mA power to support overclock or to use the external hard drive, powerful enough for distributions like media center, raspan. Protection against short circuits / undervoltages / overvoltages / overtemperature / overcurrent. CE, FCC and RoHS certification
Images
  • 4_4GB_64G-01_2000x.jpg
15 replies
Aug 5, 2018
16 posts
20 upvotes
It's a good kit with everything you need to get started, however the price has been much cheaper before. I got mine (with 32gb SD) for $80 all in back around black friday
Jul 16, 2021
132 posts
172 upvotes
can this play 4k as a media device next to my tv. thinking of going with something like this instead of the series x that i never played
Jan 13, 2005
929 posts
389 upvotes
Toronto, ON
What's the purpose of this? Is this for doing some sort of network wide adblocking?
Feb 7, 2017
459 posts
237 upvotes
iverson wrote: What's the purpose of this? Is this for doing some sort of network wide adblocking?
From what I know, the Raspberry Pi is a small programmable circuit board. It essentially allows the DIYer to build your own electronic. You can attach sensors or motors to it. You can make it control other devices.

For example, some projects that I have heard of include:
1) building your own fish tank by attaching a temperature sensor
2) building your own home-beer brewing regulator. Devices are run at certain brew stages.
Apr 27, 2021
56 posts
132 upvotes
iverson wrote: What's the purpose of this? Is this for doing some sort of network wide adblocking?
It's essentially a credit card sized ARM processor based computer. The Pi4 can technically be used as a computer itself given that this kit has active cooling. The OS is Linux based.
However, many use them for various types of hobby projects and can be used for things like ad block, network repeater, etc.
It's a pretty cool piece of tech and very versatile.
Perfect for some hardware based programming projects!
Jun 27, 2011
311 posts
446 upvotes
MONTRÉAL
Its a little bit like asking…. « Whats the purpose of a computer? »

There’s no specific answer as a computer is so versatile.
A Raspberry Pi is a little computer. Could be used as an ad blocker, multitude of other server, hifi audio player source, desktop computer, media streamer…. The possibilities are endless.

I personally use one to drive a 3D printer with octoprint. One for volumio, one for omv5, and other applications too.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
5114 posts
5234 upvotes
Vancouver
Also the preferred platform to run Home Assistant for local home automation.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2008
1076 posts
171 upvotes
Montreal, QC
bob12344 wrote: can this play 4k as a media device next to my tv. thinking of going with something like this instead of the series x that i never played
Motherboard Raspberry Pi 4 Model B (4 B) Official 4GB RAM: New SOC Broadcom BCM2711, quad-core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit at 1.5GHz. Capable of supporting HEVC 4K streams at 60 fps and managing 2 screens in 4K. Dual band 802.11b / g / n / ac WiFi (2.4 / 5.0 GHz) and Bluetooth 5.0 module. Transfers via 2 USB 3.0 ports up to 10 times faster, 4 Gb / s or 500 MB / s
Apr 22, 2019
16 posts
13 upvotes
Good kit, but might have been cheaper in the past. Issues for me was the fan did not last long. Might have been me running it in high speed(5V) mode. Also been getting undervoltage warning on the OS recently, the included power supply might not be as durable and would recommend a better one. Still runs okay for me even with the warnings, have some containers and a pivpn instance running on this.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
7207 posts
7145 upvotes
It's a very small, very low power, computer.

The number of things you can do with it are basically limitless.

I use various Pis around the house for:

- DIY IP cam
- Illumination sensor for my smart home
- ADSB receiver uploading to FR24
- Earthquake detection - https://raspberryshake.org/
- Meteor detector - https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/advi ... -detector/
- ad blocking as you mentioned - https://pi-hole.net/

People use them for pretty much anything you can think of. Next project on my list:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/raspb ... atherclock
Dec 13, 2014
187 posts
68 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
Grab a Pi Zero and use PiHole. Cheaper and very functional on the Zero.