Raspberry Pi 4 4GB USD 70 Starter Kit AFTER Black Friday Coupon 30% off

Deal Link:
Expiry:
November 25, 2020
Retailer:
Labists
Just got an email from Labists for 30% off BF Sale. Ends Nov 25th

CODE : BFM30

Recommend the 4GB as the difference between 2GB and 4GB is not that much.

Was eyeing on the Rpi4 for the below reasons :

Cable Modem <=> Rpi 4 <=> Wifi Router + Switch

Why Rpi 4? Cause it has USB 3 which allows up to 1GB/s interface between itself and the router or switch with USB Ethernet Adapter.

Setup :
Adguard Home
SQM via OpenWRT
Policy Based routing with Wireguard VPN (I.e only a specific LAN IP uses VPN)
Policy based routing via DNSMASQ to use specific DNS servers (VPNOVERDNS) bypass geo-restrictions for specific websites network wide. (IE All hulu.com is tunneled through dns server a.b.c.d)

Thanks for reading!

EDIT : Apologies forgot to add the below points for those who may not be aware of Labists. 1) I have never been charged customs / duties / taxes. 2) They are shipped soon and I have gotten items from them in 48 - 72 hours (In ON). 3) Currently, this is the lowest price including all the heat sinks, fans and case.
And lastly, please do NOT use the memory card that comes with this kit without taking a back up post setup. SD Cards are prone to failure IF the ops require heavy read write access. I have loaded FREENAS with ZFS (OS on SD, data on HD), and 120+ movies died on me (yes, not the SD Card fault alone, ECC RAM, non raid setup and so on)

EDIT 2 : Looks like the discount has been reduced to 15% now. Best to wait if they have any offers on the BF / CM.
Images
  • A11.png
Last edited by xneoenx on Nov 24th, 2020 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
58 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9799 posts
1279 upvotes
GTA
Why am I tempted to buy one when I already purchased the exact same thing from a previous sale like a month ago and it is sitting assembled on my desk booted into like a total of twice....
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
2371 posts
1338 upvotes
Antarctica
Thanks OP.
Needed one for a ML vision project just to see how well it will run. Can be used for other purposes too so it's a good price.
Sep 6, 2020
37 posts
36 upvotes
Ordered. Thanks OP. My 5-yr old Pi 2 recently died.
May 11, 2013
5 posts
3 upvotes
RICHMOND
Promo code works but the base price is showing higher for me ($129)than you ($99). Is there a specific link we should be using?
Images
  • 20201120-115026.png
[OP]
Jul 2, 2018
54 posts
102 upvotes
abilyt wrote: Promo code works but the base price is showing higher for me ($129)than you ($99). Is there a specific link we should be using?
GBGBGBGBBG
You are selecting the 8GB version, whereas for my needs I have selected 4GB.
Sep 14, 2017
80 posts
161 upvotes
abilyt wrote: Promo code works but the base price is showing higher for me ($129)than you ($99). Is there a specific link we should be using?
You have the 8GB kit instead of 4GB :p

I bought the 8GB kit from the previous sale for $90 USD as well - since then been running IOTstack (including Home Assistant) from https://sensorsiot.github.io/IOTstack/

If you guys do plan on using this for Home Assistant (along with other purposes), consider using IOTstack. Do give this a quick read before getting started (so that you don't run into the same mistakes that I did): https://gist.github.com/Paraphraser/556 ... sIOsupport
Dec 11, 2008
802 posts
494 upvotes
Toronto
Not bad. The code works for the 8GB version as well.
Not sure if $91USD is a good price for the kit though.
[OP]
Jul 2, 2018
54 posts
102 upvotes
iSyndicated wrote: You have the 8GB kit instead of 4GB :p

I bought the 8GB kit from the previous sale for $90 USD as well - since then been running IOTstack (including Home Assistant) from https://sensorsiot.github.io/IOTstack/

If you guys do plan on using this for Home Assistant (along with other purposes), consider using IOTstack. Do give this a quick read before getting started (so that you don't run into the same mistakes that I did): https://gist.github.com/Paraphraser/556 ... sIOsupport
STAPHHHHHH. Do not push me into another rabbit hole. =P
With the number of Pi's in my house, I think it would have been better to just buy a god damn PC / mac mini and do all the work that the Pi's do. I cant be buying a new Pi every year.
Nov 24, 2017
235 posts
163 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks, OP, ordered another 8 Gb. I had one already. I have a few older RPI, but getting these 8 GB ones to learn vSphere cluster setup.
[OP]
Jul 2, 2018
54 posts
102 upvotes
Canuck_TO wrote: Not bad. The code works for the 8GB version as well.
Not sure if $91USD is a good price for the kit though.
$90 is the lowest I have seen it go with the kit. I was on the look out for the lowest price ever since I missed the deal a month or 2 ago. And just when I decided to pull the trigger, they removed the 25% coupon AND increased the 8GB base price from $119 to $129. So was holding till BF. Even this sale the "upto Nov 25" is strange. Will there be a better deal on the 26th / 27th? Who knows?
The 4GB was for 107 CAD via Amazon Lightening Deal (During Amazon Prime day).
Aug 1, 2011
186 posts
203 upvotes
Canada
Thanks OP, hopefully zero duty charges. Do you know if it's Canada Post?
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19891 posts
7554 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
xneoenx wrote: STAPHHHHHH. Do not push me into another rabbit hole. =P
With the number of Pi's in my house, I think it would have been better to just buy a god damn PC / mac mini and do all the work that the Pi's do. I cant be buying a new Pi every year.
You're not wrong. I just used an old sandy bridge i7 I had no other use for and run Proxmox, it's essentially unlimited Pis if all you're doing is software based stuff.
Power use argument quickly goes out the window when you start running more than a few Pis.
Sep 14, 2017
80 posts
161 upvotes
CoconutPie wrote: Thanks OP, hopefully zero duty charges. Do you know if it's Canada Post?
Ordered the 8GB kit before, no duty charges - came in about 4-5 days and through Amazon's logistics instead.
Nov 24, 2017
235 posts
163 upvotes
Mississauga
iSyndicated wrote: Ordered the 8GB kit before, no duty charges - came in about 4-5 days and through Amazon's logistics instead.
Same for me, 4 days and delivered via Amazon.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
3172 posts
2233 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Is this a good deal?

Thinking of picking this up to set up Home Assistant and Pihole (backup).
Vancouver Spotify Premium Family Plan Available! $43/year! 1 Spot Left! PM for details!
[OP]
Jul 2, 2018
54 posts
102 upvotes
BinaryJay wrote: You're not wrong. I just used an old sandy bridge i7 I had no other use for and run Proxmox, it's essentially unlimited Pis if all you're doing is software based stuff.
Power use argument quickly goes out the window when you start running more than a few Pis.
I know right! And that M1 Mac mini is looking better day by day.