Automotive

Labour for Rear Rotors and Pads

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2016 9:43 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1624 posts
1335 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: No, that is why you need to become knowledgeably,or at the very least, informed about your situation.
People only realize they are or have been ripped off after it happens when they ask. Problem with that, especially on this forum, there are very disparaging answers. Figuring out who to believe is another problem again. Many backyard, shadetree and, internet mechanics around here. Folks with no real experience (with exception of their own cars which may or may not be repaired correctly), but are very vocal.
So, you are saying "no" to experienced, honest techs?

I'm saying we need more experienced honest techs such as ivan from igarage.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4629 upvotes
Montreal
Pete_Coach wrote: :facepalm:
The maintenance manual does not need to be followed either.
Neither do any rules or regulations.
Proper procedures do not need to be followed.
Environmental concerns do not need to be followed.
Nothing needs to be followed but, are you not happy most are?
:facepalm:
Below is a true story, not mine.

Brembo calipers from an STI need a rebuild.

Goes to a reputable shop that can rebuild the them.

Shop quotes price for rebuild. Customer accepts and brings car to shop.

Brings a new set of performance pads he wants installed instead of putting back old pads.

'Friendly' tech suddenly becomes unfriendly, gets all rattled and say's "that's $70 extra!!" :facepalm:

Customer ask "how come, the pads, pistons, pins and seals all come off get changed and lubed. What is the difference of putting in new pads, old pads used pads or any pads?"

Only answer very angry tech had was "it's extra, it's extra, because it's extra!"

Customer takes his car and drives away.

Question, should this be extra? If so, why? The scam 'flat rate' book written by the industry to pad profits aside, is this integrity and honest to you?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3302 posts
931 upvotes
Edmonton
The way I see it is if I'm doing a wheel bearing where I take the brakes off. I will put new ones in for no charge. If I'm replacing the alternator then I can do the belt for free. It's gotta come off either way. And gotta be out back either way. Either u put new ones or old it don't matter much.
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21177 posts
10622 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
tmkf_patryk wrote: The way I see it is if I'm doing a wheel bearing where I take the brakes off. I will put new ones in for no charge. If I'm replacing the alternator then I can do the belt for free. It's gotta come off either way. And gotta be out back either way. Either u put new ones or old it don't matter much.
Exactly. Replaced my belt earlier in the year and swapped out the idler and tensioner just because.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35596 posts
9645 upvotes
Ottawa
tmkf_patryk wrote: The way I see it is if I'm doing a wheel bearing where I take the brakes off. I will put new ones in for no charge. If I'm replacing the alternator then I can do the belt for free. It's gotta come off either way. And gotta be out back either way. Either u put new ones or old it don't matter much.
I am glad you do things that way but, I think you are in a small group of shops that do. Do you own your shop or are you an employee?
How do handle work that takes more time or effort or expense than you anticipated, especially if you gave the customer an estimate? They are expecting to pay $X but, it will now cost $X +? By doing all those little extra things for "free" how do you account for the extra time it takes? No disrespect and I think if you do these things, you have lucky customers but who pays for that extra time? You work for free as your time is an expense to you and your shop.
My point is that many shops (more than less) follow the flat rate manual and a few, like yours do it another way..
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35596 posts
9645 upvotes
Ottawa
ottofly wrote: Below is a true story, not mine.

Brembo calipers from an STI need a rebuild.

Goes to a reputable shop that can rebuild the them.

Shop quotes price for rebuild. Customer accepts and brings car to shop.

Brings a new set of performance pads he wants installed instead of putting back old pads.

'Friendly' tech suddenly becomes unfriendly, gets all rattled and say's "that's $70 extra!!" :facepalm:

Customer ask "how come, the pads, pistons, pins and seals all come off get changed and lubed. What is the difference of putting in new pads, old pads used pads or any pads?"

Only answer very angry tech had was "it's extra, it's extra, because it's extra!"

Customer takes his car and drives away.

Question, should this be extra? If so, why? The scam 'flat rate' book written by the industry to pad profits aside, is this integrity and honest to you?
I cannot answer.
Don't know the the shop, the customer or the circumstances. Everyone has a story and yours is one.

I think you need to get an understanding of the flat rate system and why it was implemented. It was basically for the mechanic, the guy doing the work. It was and is to ensure the tech who does not get paid the $70 - $120 per hour you are charged. He was and is getting very little. Flat rate ensured he got paid for the job, regardless of how long it took him to do the job. As I have said before, an experienced or specialized tech can and does take less time than the book but, an average tech that does not do a task daily could easily take longer and he still only gets paid whatever the rate is.
For instance, the caliper job may have been quoted as 1 hour plus parts but it was very badly corroded, things would not come off, disassembly took longer, the cleaning took much longer but the tech was still only going to get paid 1 hour. He had it assembled, ready to put on and in comes the customer and say, "Oh, since I have these new pads, put them in instead of the old ones." Now the tech has to pull out the old ones and install new ones...more work, regardless how small, but more nonetheless and he is not getting paid for it. Not saying this is what happened,.... just putting it out there.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3302 posts
931 upvotes
Edmonton
Pete_Coach wrote: I am glad you do things that way but, I think you are in a small group of shops that do. Do you own your shop or are you an employee?
How do handle work that takes more time or effort or expense than you anticipated, especially if you gave the customer an estimate? They are expecting to pay $X but, it will now cost $X +? By doing all those little extra things for "free" how do you account for the extra time it takes? No disrespect and I think if you do these things, you have lucky customers but who pays for that extra time? You work for free as your time is an expense to you and your shop.
My point is that many shops (more than less) follow the flat rate manual and a few, like yours do it another way..

I have my own small shop I run as a side business. I work in fort McMurray as an industrial mechanic full-time and when looking for work or my time off I work on vehicles. I have a couple hundred loyal customers and keep getting more and more but I only choose to do so much . I still make at least a couple hundred a day when I work on vehicles. If I quote a job 1 hour and it takes me 1.5. Well then it's my loss. I usually get close to book time, sometimes a little longer but in the end I make good money and I take pride in a job well done. I am happy knowing they won't have problems with anything I did. I could definitely expand and have my own big shop but I like the stress free environment up north. That guaranteed money with no headaches.

Pretty hard to beat near a grand a day stress free

Edit:. If I foresee problems I let the customer know it could be up to plus X due to problems Y and Z. Could be he might need more parts, labour time etc. After been doing it for a long time you have a general idea
Sep 19, 2009
640 posts
516 upvotes
Ottawa
tmkf_patryk wrote: I have my own small shop I run as a side business. I work in fort McMurray as an industrial mechanic full-time and when looking for work or my time off I work on vehicles. I have a couple hundred loyal customers and keep getting more and more but I only choose to do so much . I still make at least a couple hundred a day when I work on vehicles. If I quote a job 1 hour and it takes me 1.5. Well then it's my loss. I usually get close to book time, sometimes a little longer but in the end I make good money and I take pride in a job well done. I am happy knowing they won't have problems with anything I did. I could definitely expand and have my own big shop but I like the stress free environment up north. That guaranteed money with no headaches.

Edit:. If I foresee problems I let the customer know it could be up to plus X due to problems Y and Z. Could be he might need more parts, labour time etc. After been doing it for a long time you have a general idea
The way you do things is not conducive to running a big business.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35596 posts
9645 upvotes
Ottawa
tmkf_patryk wrote: I have my own small shop I run as a side business. I work in fort McMurray as an industrial mechanic full-time and when looking for work or my time off I work on vehicles. I have a couple hundred loyal customers and keep getting more and more but I only choose to do so much . I still make at least a couple hundred a day when I work on vehicles. If I quote a job 1 hour and it takes me 1.5. Well then it's my loss. I usually get close to book time, sometimes a little longer but in the end I make good money and I take pride in a job well done. I am happy knowing they won't have problems with anything I did. I could definitely expand and have my own big shop but I like the stress free environment up north. That guaranteed money with no headaches.

Good on ya. Nice to see someone making a bunch of money as a side job. A couple hundred a day or a thousand a day? You said both.
You also mentioned that you get close to book time, which is good to know, especially for those that keep saying the book time is rip off, to pad profits and "book" does not align with honesty.
Goin back to Fort Mac or are most still shut down?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3302 posts
931 upvotes
Edmonton
chukurific wrote: The way you do things is not conducive to running a big business.
I am not running a big business correct. But my side business booming so much going to hire a full-time mechanic probably because I just have too many people wanting work done. I am not the cheapest compared to kijiji and I don't advertise but word spreads
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3302 posts
931 upvotes
Edmonton
Pete_Coach wrote: Good on ya. Nice to see someone making a bunch of money as a side job. A couple hundred a day or a thousand a day? You said both.
You also mentioned that you get close to book time, which is good to know, especially for those that keep saying the book time is rip off, to pad profits and "book" does not align with honesty.
Goin back to Fort Mac or are most still shut down?
Up north doing shutdowns was a grand a day. Right now I'm doing a full-time gig here for another two months and it's roughly 700 or so a day.
Working on cars it depends what work and how many. I had days where I pulled 800 but those were long days. I probably get a couple hundred and not work too hard. Maybe 500 if I gotta do a timing belt/wp and a brake job oe something (all depends on the vehicles honestly)

Brakes I can do em pretty quick as I do lots. Tie rods (inner and outer) suspension parts all i can get quicker than the book or bang on. Rest is usually varies. But in the end I think the book is pretty fair. If I never done that vehicle or its an European then I am pretty slow compared to the book
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35596 posts
9645 upvotes
Ottawa
tmkf_patryk wrote: Up north doing shutdowns was a grand a day. Right now I'm doing a full-time gig here for another two months and it's roughly 700 or so a day.
Working on cars it depends what work and how many. I had days where I pulled 800 but those were long days. I probably get a couple hundred and not work too hard. Maybe 500 if I gotta do a timing belt/wp and a brake job oe something (all depends on the vehicles honestly)

Brakes I can do em pretty quick as I do lots. Tie rods (inner and outer) suspension parts all i can get quicker than the book or bang on. Rest is usually varies. But in the end I think the book is pretty fair. If I never done that vehicle or its an European then I am pretty slow compared to the book
Well, $500 to a grand a day tax free is a good gig, especially if he expenses are so small.
Being an employer has its own perils...for the employee, the employer and particularly the customer, costs and ancillary things go way up :)
Sep 19, 2009
640 posts
516 upvotes
Ottawa
tmkf_patryk wrote: I am not running a big business correct. But my side business booming so much going to hire a full-time mechanic probably because I just have too many people wanting work done. I am not the cheapest compared to kijiji and I don't advertise but word spreads
No disrespect intended. Just pointing out that bigger business means bigger costs. For example, if you're hiring a 2nd mechanic, your going to be paying him a wage and you'll be needing to make sure you carry proper insurance etc etc.
You mention earlier that sometimes do rotors for free. There's a reason why most shops don't do free work bit good on ya for spreading a little bit of good will in the world. I wish u the best.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3302 posts
931 upvotes
Edmonton
chukurific wrote: No disrespect intended. Just pointing out that bigger business means bigger costs. For example, if you're hiring a 2nd mechanic, your going to be paying him a wage and you'll be needing to make sure you carry proper insurance etc etc.
You mention earlier that sometimes do rotors for free. There's a reason why most shops don't do free work bit good on ya for spreading a little bit of good will in the world. I wish u the best.
Sorry I didn't mean to sound rough or anything like that. I sort of run a special - $50 for brake pads (front or rear) and free R&I of rotors if supplied/bought. I do so many brake jobs that I find removing those 2 more bolts is no biggie, and I have a big air hammer if the rotor doesn't want to come off.

The reason I don't plan on really getting big even though I do have the client base is just because I have other goals in my mind and since I am still young there is stuff to do, places to see, etc (all once I am debt free) and then once I probably hit mid 30s I might just do it. I don't see the oil patch lasting forever, and shutdowns are nice and repeating, we will see.....
Sep 9, 2013
588 posts
420 upvotes
Ottawa
Cheapo-Findo wrote: 1.5 hours at most. $60-$70 an hour...
Stealerships charge $125-140/hr, never came across any independent garage charging $60-70/hr maybe 20 years ago?
Does the garage have licensed mechanics at this rate? Or just some oil changer kid doing the break job?