Computers & Electronics

Lacie Lacinema 1TB media player - Thoughts? Complaints?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 4th, 2012 2:59 am
[OP]
Jan 25, 2011
3 posts
1 upvote
Toronto

Lacie Lacinema 1TB media player - Thoughts? Complaints?

Hey guys and girls, I've been toying with the idea of ordering a Lacie LaCinema 1TB media player for quite a while now.

My girlfriend and I have a laptop with a small hard drive (120GB) and we tend to download a lot of movies and TV shows from torrents (only the legal ones of course lol :twisted :) . Normally I just download, then hook the laptop up to the TV play it then delete it to make room for the next one.

So the media player would be a much more convenient option. It could site in my entertainment unit, hooked up to my TV. then I could just save all our media directly to it over the network and then play it on the TV without having to hook up the Laptop.

So any of you have any experience with this unit? Things you do / don't like about it? Find any problems playing certain file formats??

Or do you use a different media player unit that is networkable that you love?? I'm just trying to find out if I should really commit to this thing or try something else. Thanks in advance.
7 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
18706 posts
1936 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Lacie mostly caters to the Apple market and like Apple, they charge insanely ridiculous for what you get. I would go with something along the lines of WDTV or even a Patriot Box or Boxxe.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
7395 posts
2206 upvotes
Maple
I would go WDTV Live or Patriot Box Office and external hard drive. I would not combine media player with hard drive, just like dvd/vcr combo player. If one breaks then the other doesn't work properly. Buying separates, you can choose what you like. You get best of both worlds.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1767 posts
88 upvotes
I don't have experience with the Lacie, but from the prices I've seen online, you might be better off with the WDTV Live and buying your own external hard drive. I purchased my WDTV through Dell awhile back and couldn't be happier. There's an enormous online community and you can find alternative firmware which is an absolute breeze to install. This adds additional capabilities and features that don't come out of the box. The firmware I use is this: http://b-rad.cc/wdlxtv/ One of my favourite features is moviesheets. You can check out the site for more features. I've never had any issues with my player in terms of playing different formats.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7429 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
If you think beaming the data via network to one of these media player is viable, you're sorely mistaken. Unless you're not in a hurry :)

The network transfer speed is horrendous. My PBO is 10/100 and it does exactly 5MB/s copying via wired gigabit network. AFAIK, WDTV models are just as bad. Their WDTV Live HUB is a big LOL...it is gigabit but the reported network speed is like 15MB/s which is way worse than USB.

I'd personally stick to the main players like WDTV Live or PBO. I bought a Seagate Free Agent Theater Plus and other than it has component output, the rest is crap when compared to the PBO with basically the same guts inside. I paid <$50 for the FAT+ so that part I couldn't go wrong.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1767 posts
88 upvotes
ppl4golf wrote: If you think beaming the data via network to one of these media player is viable, you're sorely mistaken. Unless you're not in a hurry :)

The network transfer speed is horrendous. My PBO is 10/100 and it does exactly 5MB/s copying via wired gigabit network. AFAIK, WDTV models are just as bad. Their WDTV Live HUB is a big LOL...it is gigabit but the reported network speed is like 15MB/s which is way worse than USB.

I'd personally stick to the main players like WDTV Live or PBO. I bought a Seagate Free Agent Theater Plus and other than it has component output, the rest is crap when compared to the PBO with basically the same guts inside. I paid <$50 for the FAT+ so that part I couldn't go wrong.

Actually I don't have a problem downloading from newsgroups on my laptop and saving it on my WDTV Live's hard drive. It's just a little slow when extracting but other than that there's been no problems. My WDTV is wired to my router.

This should work for the OP's needs as well.

But I agree, when transferring large HD files from one PC to my WDTV, it only averages about 2 MB/s. It takes quite a bit for an 8 gig file to transfer.
Sep 30, 2005
322 posts
8 upvotes
Aurora
Just saw this post.

I have been usng Lacie HD (1080p) Media Playerfor more than a year. I brought it together with 320 GB hard drive, the speed and quality of picture is excellent.
Nov 28, 2007
636 posts
45 upvotes
Wing wrote: Just saw this post.

I have been usng Lacie HD (1080p) Media Playerfor more than a year. I brought it together with 320 GB hard drive, the speed and quality of picture is excellent.

I recently got one from amazon. Do you guys that have this know if there's any way to get wd live or other firmware on this? Netflix is pretty much the only reason I want to do this.