None
[OP]
Jan 23, 2010
305 posts
95 upvotes
Hamilton

The Lada in Canada any still exist?

Hi Everyone,

Anyone here own a Lada or had one before? I recall seeing them in the early 90's and at the Autoshow in Toronto. There used to be Lada in Canada. I'm not sure, but were some of the diesel? For some reason, I thought these were dirt cheap brand new?? was that true?

I've never driven one just sat inside them.

Did the dealership hand out a free bottle of vodka :)
36 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1975 posts
1013 upvotes
Alberta
tiesto wrote: Hi Everyone,

Anyone here own a Lada or had one before? I recall seeing them in the early 90's and at the Autoshow in Toronto. There used to be Lada in Canada. I'm not sure, but were some of the diesel? For some reason, I thought these were dirt cheap brand new?? was that true?

I've never driven one just sat inside them.

Did the dealership hand out a free bottle of vodka :)
I know Calgary had a dealership when I first moved here, like 19 years ago haha, but that lot has since been taken over by someone else. I haven't seen any Lada's in a long time, they really never lasted past 40k. I still see an old Niva here and there.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
2951 posts
1366 upvotes
Markham
I heard even in Russia it's Datsun rebrand now
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2006
4170 posts
179 upvotes
North York
There is a building with the Lada logo/name on Steeles between Keele and Dufferin. LADA building
If you drive dangerously I hope you get caught and lose your license/car/dignity! :twisted: :twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8124 posts
3455 upvotes
Financial District B…
In today's landscape a Nissan Juke would be the closest thing to a Lada of olden days. Go take one of those for a spin. I think a Honda lawnmower would be faster and have more power.
If Skoda was here that would be closest resemblance.
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6635 posts
2365 upvotes
BC
^ I'd put money on mikeymike1's financial advice, but on automotive matters - definitely not up to speed!

A Nissan Juke resembling a Lada? You've got to be kidding. The Juke slow?

There's things to criticize about the Juke, such as interior room, aesthetics, etc., but it ain't slow. And its build quality is way ahead of the Lada.

Skoda used to be a cheap and nasty brand, but always better than Lada and the gap has widened over the years.

Maybe you meant to say Yugo as the closest resemblance to Lada? That I would agree with.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8124 posts
3455 upvotes
Financial District B…
We're talking about comparative landscape, then to now. Lada was the armpit of cars back in the 80's-90's. If I remember right you could of had a new one for under 7 or 8k.(only 8% PST back then too)
In today's auto landscape there's no uglier car on the road than a Juke. I would also say the Aztek but Pontiac is long gone.

Yeah I agree with you there on the Yugo. A few years ago while over in England I was able to try out a Skoda. Was total crap.
Same when I went to Bermuda. They have a engine displacement law. I think the law was nothing bigger than 2.0 liters. Anyways, lots of small cars like Skodas, Peugeots, etc. Tried it there too. crap.
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Jan 8, 2012
68 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Lada is long gone from Canada but still thriving in Russia. Lada is a brand owned by Avtovaz which in turn was bought by Nissan/Renault last year.

My boss back in the nineties drove a Lada wagon and it was a crappy car even for it's time. There is no current equivalent to Ladas now in Canada as there is nothing so basic and cheap. Even the Mitsubishi Mirage is more relatively refined now, then a Lada was back then.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
9565 posts
7206 upvotes
Kootenays
My Dad had a Lada sedan in the late '70s. He bought it after I wrote off his Mazda 626 by coasting into a power pole at 20mph (I was looking for a piece of paper I dropped on the floor and took my eyes off of the road. I was 16). His reasoning was that it was very solid steel and very cheap. IIRC, it caught on fire 2 or 3 times and self destructed after 3 or 4 years. People used to spit on it and leave notes on it at work that said Commie Go Home. He worked at Dalhousie University. It looked like this, only beige: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_aay0r-mvhQ4/S ... 0+Lada.jpg
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
17933 posts
16936 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I remember being at the auto show in the mid-90's and I think they were still carburetted LOL
Mar 8, 2006
494 posts
69 upvotes
Montreal
There was a dealer on St-Michel near Montreal-North. I went to see the NIVA pickup. The trucks were new and rust was appearing in the bed. That was around 1990.

But Lada wasn't the worst. Dacia was really the worst, with their glued on transmissions.
[OP]
Jan 23, 2010
305 posts
95 upvotes
Hamilton
smacd wrote: My Dad had a Lada sedan in the late '70s. He bought it after I wrote off his Mazda 626 by coasting into a power pole at 20mph (I was looking for a piece of paper I dropped on the floor and took my eyes off of the road. I was 16). His reasoning was that it was very solid steel and very cheap. IIRC, it caught on fire 2 or 3 times and self destructed after 3 or 4 years. People used to spit on it and leave notes on it at work that said Commie Go Home. He worked at Dalhousie University. It looked like this, only beige: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_aay0r-mvhQ4/S ... 0+Lada.jpg
That's right during the 70's cold war period, driving a lada might have upset a few people.
Jan 12, 2015
104 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The 'new' Ladas that you bought in Canada in the 80's were 20 year old Fiats. The Skoda was a sports car compared to the Lada.

No love for the Dacia 1300? It was the Corolla of the Eastern Bloc.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1975 posts
1013 upvotes
Alberta
This is the new Niva, sure changed a lot ,hopefully better quality now that it's a joint venture with Chevy. Did you know that the original Niva is still sold today!

This is a new lada concept...hehe, sure looks different

Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
17647 posts
5747 upvotes
London
Someone is selling a 79 Lada 1500 on Toronto kijiji as a collectable with only 7000 km, all original

Only a mere $20k
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1361 posts
249 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
Lada Cossack. Best off road vehicle ever built!
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4965 posts
810 upvotes
Calgary
$1500 on Kijiji
in Edmonton
[IMG]http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA==/ ... n/$_35.JPG[/IMG]
[QUOTE][QUOTE]1996, Lada Niva Cossack 4x4 with running boards, sun roof and 15 inch mags. Runs well and brakes are good. Needs windshield and muffler. Has a couple of minor dents and some surface rust. Currently running P201/75R15 rubber. Can be viewed in Smoky Lake.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1579 upvotes
Almost died in one in 1990, don't know how we didn't crash. All the while, Knocking on Heavens Door was playing (on cassete) :-)