Home & Garden

Lamp post in my lawn = Dog toilet. What to do?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2016 10:09 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 16, 2014
194 posts
15 upvotes
North York, ON

Lamp post in my lawn = Dog toilet. What to do?

My lot is adjacent to a walkway to the public trail at the back. It also has a lamp post right in the middle of my lot's width, 1-meter deep into my lawn (no sidewalk. Lawn then street curb already).

This formula means, every single dog being walked to the trail will stop at the lamp post and spray away.

Questions:

1. Do I own the land where the lamp post is? It is 1m into the lawn from the street curb.
2. Is there a way to "re-scent" the area, so that dogs passing by will "territory spray" somewhere else?
3. The dogs also spray on the (outside) fence between my house and the walkway. Is the fence mine? Or is it the city's?
26 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14077 posts
9288 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Can you post a pic of this fence and lamp post?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36249 posts
10403 upvotes
Ottawa
Cheapo-Findo wrote: If that area belongs to the city, won't that be a liability issue if something happens to the dog?
You are not spraying graffiti on t. It is a repellant. You are putting a scent on the ara that dog (and other animals) do not like. My Wife uses it in the garden and around the house to keep cats away.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2011
3519 posts
1869 upvotes
Ontario
...there is a very good chance that the lamp post, and possibly the first 10-12' of property from the curb, is on an easement.

And if the utilities are buried underground, then it's a 99.9% certainty that there's an easement there. Check with the city.

If it's a standard, galvanized chain-link fence, then the odds are good, it belongs to the city.

Whatever you do, you're not gonna deter a dog from peeing.

My neighbors kids like to scream and yell while playing outside on a trampoline till 10 o'clock at night in the summer. That bothers me, but what are you going to do? This is all part of suburban home ownership.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2010
1100 posts
589 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Pete_Coach wrote: You are not spraying graffiti on t. It is a repellant. You are putting a scent on the ara that dog (and other animals) do not like. My Wife uses it in the garden and around the house to keep cats away.
Personally I don't find a problem with doing this...I am a big fan of keeping dogs from doing their stuff on my lawn (read as: I don't like dog owners who do not pick up after their dogs). One time I suggested this, I was bombarded by dog lovers who were adamant that cayenne pepper and the like hurt dogs and should not be used. I don't think they will kill the dog, but it will irritate them because of their keen sense of smell.

Just note that there are people out there who will probably say you are harming animals by doing this.
Jun 5, 2011
854 posts
172 upvotes
LONDON
pour chilli powder in a 5 foot radius around the lamp post. re-pour when it rains. As the animals approach they will take in a quick whiff and make a b-line as far as they can. Same can be done in your vegetable garden for all you non-gta folks with a garden and rabbit/skunk issues.
Jun 5, 2011
854 posts
172 upvotes
LONDON
toram23901 wrote: Personally I don't find a problem with doing this...I am a big fan of keeping dogs from doing their stuff on my lawn (read as: I don't like dog owners who do not pick up after their dogs). One time I suggested this, I was bombarded by dog lovers who were adamant that cayenne pepper and the like hurt dogs and should not be used. I don't think they will kill the dog, but it will irritate them because of their keen sense of smell.

Just note that there are people out there who will probably say you are harming animals by doing this.
dogs are smart. its not like they can't smell the pepper in advance of taking a giant snoutfull of it. They will catch a whiff and move on. its not like you are bear spraying them and giving them no option. no need to use ghost chilis either, just some general strength red chili powder does the trick. Give a dog a piece of meat with hot sauce on it. He will eat it 10 out of 10 times. Dogs are more resilient than some owners like to give them credit for. if you are worried about the grass dieing around the lamp post, put some decorative stones around it and pull the grass out. Won't be an eyesore then.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3462 posts
1222 upvotes
Ottawa
phideltreefer wrote: ..... if you are worried about the grass dieing around the lamp post, put some decorative stones around it and pull the grass out. Won't be an eyesore then.
^ I like this idea, would be attractive and not result in brown grass.

I have two dogs and don't think anything would stop them from peeing on an upright object. That's why I half-bury logs in my back yard, so that's what gets peed on, not my plants.
Dec 4, 2009
348 posts
222 upvotes
Motion activated sprinkler... Could be entertaining? :)
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36249 posts
10403 upvotes
Ottawa
Todd96srv wrote: Motion activated sprinkler... Could be entertaining? :)
All that will do is scare the piss out of them :)
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3462 posts
1222 upvotes
Ottawa
Todd96srv wrote: Motion activated sprinkler... Could be entertaining? :)
Pete_Coach wrote: All that will do is scare the piss out of them :)
My labrador would think that's fun :razz: I think motion activated sprinklers work best on cats, who hate water.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6800 posts
2348 upvotes
GTA
There's power to the lamp post....cut a hole in a 4' piece of chicken wire, slide it over the lamp post so its laying on ground around the post but not touching it. Attach the white wire that was powering the lights to the steel mesh, attach black wire to the post....sit back and watch the show.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
3045 posts
1637 upvotes
Mississauga
cant believe RFD's favorite recommendation hasnt been provided...wow

Op - just move to a new house
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2007
5079 posts
941 upvotes
Peterborough
Cayenne pepper worked for me.

Just do it late at night. Reapply after rain.
[QUOTE]I know you are, but what am I.... ;) [/QUOTE]
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4877 posts
6164 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Grab a few cold beers, sit back and drink up. Wait till midnight, and go take a leak around the said pole.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4877 posts
6164 upvotes
Toronto, ON
mau_mau wrote: cant believe RFD's favorite recommendation hasnt been provided...wow

Op - just move to a new house
That's ridiculous.

What OP really needs is to ram the pole with beige corolla. No pole=No pee.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1172 posts
250 upvotes
OTTAWA
My house is on a corner lot. There are two traffic sign posts in front of my house and a tall tree on the side lawn. For years dogs used to pee or poo when they walked by. I had to clean their toilet almost everyday, particularly before I mowed my lawn. I fed up and left the grass around those posts and tree go tall. Since then dogs do not get near :D
Banned
Apr 3, 2016
81 posts
9 upvotes
You might already know dogs are territorial and mark their territory by peeing. Why don't you get a pet dog? It will mark its territory by peeing on the same post and bingo, Your neighbours dog will have to find another territory.

It's a peaceful,resolution to your problem!