Home & Garden

Landlady assured me more than once of no cockroaches before moving in. there are

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 1st, 2014 9:11 am
[OP]
Jul 5, 2011
4 posts
1 upvote
Barrie, Ontario

Landlady assured me more than once of no cockroaches before moving in. there are

When i viewed my apartment, i looked at everything, and had my eyes out for anything bug related. in the cupboards, shower, fridge, etc. Finally, I asked if there were any problems with bugs, if there were any cockroaches, and she flat out said "no. we have no cockroaches" relieved, I said, great! that would've been a dealbreaker.
I saw the apartment a second time when I went to give her my first and last months rent cheques, when my application was approved. i asked if i could keep some of the girls furniture, and she said they have to throw it out so they're not liable if there are bugs in it, "we have to clean everything really well. we dont have cockroaches, but the girl had a dog, so just in case, we clean it well." shes a vietnamese immigrant

Nothing stood out for me as a red flag while i did my second check.

Again, I had a look around before signing the lease yesterday, this time the girl had moved out and the apartment was ready for me to move in. the only thing i noticed was that they clearly hadnt cleaned it thoroughly.
so i move my stuff in today and immediately see two roaches in the kitchen. i check around some more, inside the drawers, and see piles of this white powder, its everywhere. i realized that what i thought were leftover crumbs on the counter the previous day, was this same white powder. also, i noticed something i didnt before, a foam in between the fridge and the counter; likely roach foam. i knew about roach foam but didnt see any previously.
i texted the lady asking what the powder was and if it was safe to sweep it up, she said, "its just baking soda, to keep cockroaches away. there are no cockroaches, but the other girl had a dog, so its just in case."

yeah, right. this all leads me to believe that i signed the lease under false pretenses, she must have known that there was a cockroach problem, or else why take all of these steps? why pour piles of powder everywhere without telling me? why roach foam in the kitchen?

would i have a case in small claims court, or am i stuck here until i can break my lease as per the contract?...
5 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16760 posts
2433 upvotes
Did you see any cockroaches, perhaps they are being careful. However, all you can do is request your landlord to call an exterminator... but if the cockroaches are in the walls, unless the whole building is sprayed they will come back. P.S. in the future it is pointless to "look for" bugs ... as cockroaches hide from light.

You can:

1. Request the landlord terminate your lease early.
2. Break your lease and pay up
3. File something with the Landlord and Tenant Board and request your lease be terminated early (T6 Form).

It's probably a good idea to find a legal clinic to help you with the paper work.

LTB Forms: http://www.ltb.gov.on.ca/en/Forms/STEL02_111308.html
Banned
Jun 22, 2012
4737 posts
710 upvotes
Shhanada
StefanL wrote: When i viewed my apartment, i looked at everything, and had my eyes out for anything bug related. in the cupboards, shower, fridge, etc. Finally, I asked if there were any problems with bugs, if there were any cockroaches, and she flat out said "no. we have no cockroaches" relieved, I said, great! that would've been a dealbreaker.
I saw the apartment a second time when I went to give her my first and last months rent cheques, when my application was approved. i asked if i could keep some of the girls furniture, and she said they have to throw it out so they're not liable if there are bugs in it, "we have to clean everything really well. we dont have cockroaches, but the girl had a dog, so just in case, we clean it well." shes a vietnamese immigrant

Nothing stood out for me as a red flag while i did my second check.

Again, I had a look around before signing the lease yesterday, this time the girl had moved out and the apartment was ready for me to move in. the only thing i noticed was that they clearly hadnt cleaned it thoroughly.
so i move my stuff in today and immediately see two roaches in the kitchen. i check around some more, inside the drawers, and see piles of this white powder, its everywhere. i realized that what i thought were leftover crumbs on the counter the previous day, was this same white powder. also, i noticed something i didnt before, a foam in between the fridge and the counter; likely roach foam. i knew about roach foam but didnt see any previously.
i texted the lady asking what the powder was and if it was safe to sweep it up, she said, "its just baking soda, to keep cockroaches away. there are no cockroaches, but the other girl had a dog, so its just in case."

yeah, right. this all leads me to believe that i signed the lease under false pretenses, she must have known that there was a cockroach problem, or else why take all of these steps? why pour piles of powder everywhere without telling me? why roach foam in the kitchen?

would i have a case in small claims court, or am i stuck here until i can break my lease as per the contract?...
There's a different court process, not small claims.

If the roaches get cleaned up, would you stay there?
Banned
Sep 1, 2012
1783 posts
77 upvotes
You can get termite inspector. To spray chemical In the unit.also can request the landlord to pay for it. I think is around 100-200 every condo or house do request pests control.

Is common problem.... Doesn't matter where you live there is some insect hiding....

You will need to be away for a day or two...
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
5971 posts
2617 upvotes
Winnipeg
And the bedbugs usually arrive in the evening

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)