• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2021 1:11 pm
Tags:
Aug 22, 2017
31 posts
3 upvotes

Landlord refusing e-Transfers

This is for BC.

I moved into my current place 3 years ago. The tenancy agreement I signed didn't stipulate the payment method for rent. For the first 2 years, I paid by cheque (handed to an employee living in the same apartment building). About a year ago, the landlord started urging everyone to set up a PAD, which I agreed to because it was easy and convenient.

However, after doing research and not liking how I wasn't able to cancel the PAD myself, I requested three months ago to pay by e-Transfer instead. the landlord agreed to this, but changed their mind after several rent payments, stating it is "an exception to pay by e-Transfer" and that I "cannot pay by e-Transfer anymore, and must pay by PAD or mailed cheque" instead (they don't have permanent staff on-site anymore).

Can a landlord just arbitrarily decide to change the rent payment method? I already have paid the last three rent payments by e-Transfer, though I figure it may be too costly or time-consuming for them to process. However, PAD is a big no for me, and mailing cheques just seems absurdly inefficient for both sides.

For now my plan is to pay by mailed cheque, but I'm wondering if there's is any chance for me to continue paying by e-Transfer instead.
5 replies
Dec 3, 2017
196 posts
150 upvotes
Why don't you write post-dated cheques
Jul 27, 2020
81 posts
99 upvotes
E transfer is acceptable. If it’s not in your agreement in writing, and nobody can come to an agreement, cash is the default payment method. As long as you are paying your rent, then there’s nothing they can do. This is why they should’ve stipulated a method of payment in your agreement. If you have texts of him accepting e transfer, than you can continue e transfer for as long as you wish. In the event he declines it, then it defaults to cash payment when no one can come to an agreement. He can not force you to pay any certain way, nor can you force him.
Last edited by will5619 on Aug 31st, 2021 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3909 posts
2337 upvotes
Ottawa
Wouldn't make sense if you could force your landlord to accept e-Transfers. Because if you could, you could extend the logic to forcing them to accept Amex too.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
6517 posts
3798 upvotes
Thornhill
Check BC's Tenancy Act. Here in Ontario a change to the way rent is paid must be mutally agreed to by landlord and tenant.