• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2018 11:52 pm
[OP]
Oct 14, 2012
100 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto

Landlord replaced refrigerator with bar fridge

Hello fellow RFDers in need some advice on how to deal with this situation.

Landlord took 2 weeks to replace the broken fridge upon notifying her, besides losing all the food in the fridge, I had to spend 2 weeks eating out. Despite that I didn't want to get into a petty argument over that and just wanted a new fridge. This weekend fridge arrives and it is a BAR FRIDGE from costco. Something like this https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.1000 ... gLFKfD_BwE

I immediately called the landlord to ask for a bigger fridge similar size to the one that came with the condo and she said she has NO MONEY and won't be able to replace the fridge with a full-sized one until July and that she will sell the place in August.

I signed a contract last year (expired), this is the second year living here and I didn't sign anything. Do I just accept the tiny fridge? It's a huge inconvenience since it's quite literally less than half the size of the original fridge.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
7 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12345 posts
8772 upvotes
Edmonton
Yes, as mentioned, talk to the LTB and get some guidance. My take; she shouldn't be able to do that.

While you're talking to them, review your rights as a tenant when it comes to your landlord selling the unit.

C
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
4144 posts
974 upvotes
How do people think they can actually get away with this?
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1070 posts
948 upvotes
ON
She has no money?? Lol

Next time rent is due tell her you want to buy the fridge yourself from the rent money and pay her the leftover as rent. See what her reaction is to that.

Some people don’t deserve to be landlords.
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13996 posts
9067 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
I'll bring beers!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
14639 posts
10889 upvotes
As a landlord I hate to read these stories. Your landlord is a jerk and you need to contact LTB.
Feb 12, 2018
1 posts
You could file a T6 maintenance application with the Landlord and Tenant board. On the application there is a section to request a rebate for the loss of food and take out. Let the board decide at the hearing whether she has to replace the fridge with a larger one.