Home & Garden

Landlord replaced refrigerator with bar fridge

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2018 11:52 pm
Jr. Member
Oct 14, 2012
113 posts

Landlord replaced refrigerator with bar fridge

Hello fellow RFDers in need some advice on how to deal with this situation.

Landlord took 2 weeks to replace the broken fridge upon notifying her, besides losing all the food in the fridge, I had to spend 2 weeks eating out. Despite that I didn't want to get into a petty argument over that and just wanted a new fridge. This weekend fridge arrives and it is a BAR FRIDGE from costco. Something like this https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.1000 ... gLFKfD_BwE

I immediately called the landlord to ask for a bigger fridge similar size to the one that came with the condo and she said she has NO MONEY and won't be able to replace the fridge with a full-sized one until July and that she will sell the place in August.

I signed a contract last year (expired), this is the second year living here and I didn't sign anything. Do I just accept the tiny fridge? It's a huge inconvenience since it's quite literally less than half the size of the original fridge.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
7 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
13003 posts
Yes, as mentioned, talk to the LTB and get some guidance. My take; she shouldn't be able to do that.

While you're talking to them, review your rights as a tenant when it comes to your landlord selling the unit.

Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
4148 posts
How do people think they can actually get away with this?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 24, 2016
1319 posts
She has no money?? Lol

Next time rent is due tell her you want to buy the fridge yourself from the rent money and pay her the leftover as rent. See what her reaction is to that.

Some people don’t deserve to be landlords.
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
14790 posts
Think of the Childre…
I'll bring beers!

Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
17765 posts
Tarrana & The Ri…
As a landlord I hate to read these stories. Your landlord is a jerk and you need to contact LTB.
Feb 12, 2018
1 posts
You could file a T6 maintenance application with the Landlord and Tenant board. On the application there is a section to request a rebate for the loss of food and take out. Let the board decide at the hearing whether she has to replace the fridge with a larger one.


Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)