Home & Garden

Landlord replacing roof on rental house, using our electricity.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2021 4:53 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2017 upvotes
Fernando Poo

Landlord replacing roof on rental house, using our electricity.

So our landlord let us know two days ago that he was replacing the roof on the house we're renting. What he didn't let us know was they'd be running all their power tools on our hydro. I'm guessing these use a fair bit of power, what should I do about this? Don't want him upping our rent but don't want to be on the hook for a huge hydro bill.
Welcome to the Minitrue FDs, Ficdep
145 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2079 upvotes
Markham
Seriously, the electricity cost (i.e. running compressors) might only be $5.
It is peanut when comparing to your damage if there is a water damage.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2079 upvotes
Markham
hagbard wrote: If its $5 it's no issue. Been monitoring it, they've been here an hour, and they've already used 3kWhs. We use that amount in a day.
What is the electricity rate?
The roof will be done in a few hours.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5044 posts
2734 upvotes
GTA
hagbard wrote: they've already used 3kWhs. We use that amount in a day.
You use 3kWh's of electricity in a day? I'd like to see your hydro bill...
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2017 upvotes
Fernando Poo
BDSL wrote: What is the electricity rate?
The roof will be done in a few hours.
Landlord said three days.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
4933 posts
1828 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
hagbard wrote: If its $5 it's no issue. Been monitoring it, they've been here an hour, and they've already used 3kWhs. We use that amount in a day. Still, not something we should be paying for, its the landlord's responsibility and he who would suffer the most from water damage.

Had people here talk me out of going after our previous landlord for telling use we had to leave because he was downsizing and moving in. He sold the place shortly after we left. We didn't pursue it. The compensation would have been $10k. We're interested in doing what is fair.
3kwh would be roughly 50 cents all in.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
4933 posts
1828 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
shabby wrote: You use 3kWh's of electricity in a day? I'd like to see your hydro bill...
Thats doable if you dont run AC or a dryer (the big energy guzzlers) and likely not a freezer and modest entertainment consumption.

- and no power tools!
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2079 upvotes
Markham
hagbard wrote: Landlord said three days.
You know, the rate is like $0.12 per kwh....
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7250 posts
2835 upvotes
GTA
Keep an eye on the water meter also OP; those buggers get thirsty on a sunny roof.
Oct 2, 2017
824 posts
587 upvotes
new roof or 5$ in electricity?

such a hard choice
I'll see you at the top, cause the bottom is too crowded
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
7350 posts
3063 upvotes
hagbard wrote: Landlord said three days.
Three days?! How big is the roof?

I've never seen a roof take 3 days. Around us, they're always done in a day.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2017 upvotes
Fernando Poo
Toukolou wrote: Three days?! How big is the roof?

I've never seen a roof take 3 days. Around us, they're always done in a day.
That's what I've always seen too. Never had it done in either of the houses we owned. But these guys did about an hours worth of work, now they've been sitting around for another hour doing nothing. Just not happy about any of it, he said it might need doing in the fall (when my daughter is back to school) then told on Saturday they'd start on Monday. My daughter doesn't deal with lots of noise (autistic) then they started plugging their tools in and we're very careful about our energy usage. Got exactly the sort of response I've come to expect from RFDs forums. I should learn not to ask anything here.
Dec 25, 2018
811 posts
1667 upvotes
Maybe we should all chip in and give the poor OP his $0.01
Feb 11, 2009
384 posts
128 upvotes
seriously? it's like 12c per kilowatt hour....
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2346 posts
3061 upvotes
hagbard wrote: That's what I've always seen too. Never had it done in either of the houses we owned. But these guys did about an hours worth of work, now they've been sitting around for another hour doing nothing. Just not happy about any of it, he said it might need doing in the fall (when my daughter is back to school) then told on Saturday they'd start on Monday. My daughter doesn't deal with lots of noise (autistic) then they started plugging their tools in and we're very careful about our energy usage. Got exactly the sort of response I've come to expect from RFDs forums. I should learn not to ask anything here.
The legal advice on here is valued at exactly what you've paid for it.

That said - you were worried about a "huge hydro bill", which you've been informed is a baseless worry given that even at 3 days it is unlikely to be much more than $7.50. If you want to exercise your rights - inform the landlord you'd like to be compensated for your cost. Similarly, the landlord is entitled to reasonable access to maintain the structure. How much time and effort do you want to expend to dispute what constitutes reasonable access given that the roof apparently is in need of work and the result will protect you as much as the landlord?
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
4975 posts
1455 upvotes
does it matter?
azmongold wrote: new roof or 5$ in electricity?

such a hard choice
Oh man OP is really old. lol in all senses.
steph3n wrote: seriously? it's like 12c per kilowatt hour....
does OP know this?
Last edited by callernamet on Aug 9th, 2021 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tried new coffee and doughnut. Found same old stale thing. expected bill of six bucks but it was 600 million. Big mistake so the guy said don't worry it is on the house. going back to McD.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2079 upvotes
Markham
hagbard wrote: That's what I've always seen too. Never had it done in either of the houses we owned. But these guys did about an hours worth of work, now they've been sitting around for another hour doing nothing. Just not happy about any of it, he said it might need doing in the fall (when my daughter is back to school) then told on Saturday they'd start on Monday. My daughter doesn't deal with lots of noise (autistic) then they started plugging their tools in and we're very careful about our energy usage. Got exactly the sort of response I've come to expect from RFDs forums. I should learn not to ask anything here.
Since the contract is between your landlord and the roofing contractor, then you should express your concern (i.e. roofing contractor taking too long and disturbing your family) to the landlord. For a typical average size house, new shingles and some new plywood would only between half a day or full day (depending on crew size).

The cost of electricity is very small. Just be happy the landlord is maintaining the property or it will be a nightmare for you if there is water leak / mold issue.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2760 posts
1313 upvotes
Toronto
The amount of electricity used will be minimal. You could try asking your landlord for $10 or $15 I guess but I don't think it's worth it. Would you be expecting the landlord to pay for the electricity/water if he/she needs to get the water heater changed, change out a toilet, or replace the fridge?

I think when I did my roof it was about 2 days. My house is about 1600 sqft. If the house is large then 3 days sounds reasonable. Those guys are sitting out there in the sun for hours at a time. They need to cool down, drink water, etc. They can't work for 10 hrs straight in the sun when it's so hot outside.

Is the noise that loud from the ground floor? If yes, maybe you can get your daughter to hang out in the basement with you. Maybe get her a pair of earmuffs if the noise is bothering her?
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5044 posts
2734 upvotes
GTA
fergy wrote: Thats doable if you dont run AC or a dryer (the big energy guzzlers) and likely not a freezer and modest entertainment consumption.
Its not doable, a fridge will easily use 2-5kWh a day depending on its efficiency. Its only doable if no one lives in the house.