[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2003
1534 posts
133 upvotes
C-53

landlord - tenant: reliance hot water

RFD,

I want to put my tenant's name on the Reliance Hot Water Heater bill but Reliance told me they dont put the renter's name on the bill. So regardless of whether I'm living at my property or not, the bill is under my name.

The issue is my tenant is kind of a a** and he's late. So I pay the bill as it's still under my name and I have to collect from him.

Strange that Reliance will not do this as all other utilities are under his name.

Can you guys help?
Please thank me if you find this helpful
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
7979 posts
2671 upvotes
Maple
You are the home owner. You rent out. The problem is yours. Why would any want to deal with it?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2003
1534 posts
133 upvotes
C-53
teoconca wrote: Why would any want to deal with it?
All other bills are under his name.

I'm surprised that Reliance will not do the same. That's all.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11905 posts
8158 upvotes
Edmonton
doomhammer wrote: All other bills are under his name.

The hot water tank is a piece of equipment that stays with the house. It has a contract that will likely outlast your tenant’s rental period. It’s not simply a utility that gets used/consumed. So I can understand why they may want it attached to the home owner as opposed to a tenant.

C
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
3923 posts
1910 upvotes
doomhammer wrote: All other bills are under his name.

The Gas Co. can shut off the gas if they don't pay, the Electric Co. can shut off the power if they don't pay but the water heater rental co. doesn't have that option.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10148 posts
12127 upvotes
Vancouver
doomhammer wrote: RFD,

I want to put my tenant's name on the Reliance Hot Water Heater bill but Reliance told me they dont put the renter's name on the bill. So regardless of whether I'm living at my property or not, the bill is under my name.

The issue is my tenant is kind of a a** and he's late. So I pay the bill as it's still under my name and I have to collect from him.

Strange that Reliance will not do this as all other utilities are under his name.

Can you guys help?
This Reliance hot water heater bill is for equipment that you rent? You're renting it, not the tenant. You should have just included this cost in the tenant's monthly rent instead of charging a lower rent and trying to bill the tenant separately for it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2003
1534 posts
133 upvotes
C-53
Makes sense.

You all should work for their customer service dept == sucks!

It's in the Philippines somewhere. Rude people.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1152 upvotes
Just add the extra rental cost into the rent and be done with it. Then the tenant has to pay the entire rent on time.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5154 posts
2576 upvotes
Are their 2 separate Enbridge bills for that address?
1 for the gas consumption under the tenants name and 1 for the tank under your name?
It’s my understanding that Enbridge collects on behalf of the rental companies such as reliance
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8678 posts
1624 upvotes
doomhammer wrote: RFD,

Can you guys help?
As others have pointed out, and for the reason that you had mentioned about the tenant being "a kind of a assohole," Reliance doesn't want the hassle of chasing down deadbeats either.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33304 posts
7005 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Red_Army wrote: Are their 2 separate Enbridge bills for that address?
1 for the gas consumption under the tenants name and 1 for the tank under your name?
It’s my understanding that Enbridge collects on behalf of the rental companies such as reliance
Reliance does their own billing
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2003
1534 posts
133 upvotes
C-53
Red_Army wrote: Are their 2 separate Enbridge bills for that address?
Someone pointed out .. they are separate bills.

All are under his name except this Reliance one :( :( :(
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9658 posts
5046 upvotes
Paris
My Dad rented a house once and the tenant wanted AC on a Union Energy never never plan. He said yes and wrote up an agreement that they would pay that instead of a rental increase that year. He eventually kicked them out and after he gave notice found out they hadn’t paid it for 4 months.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10148 posts
12127 upvotes
Vancouver
doomhammer wrote: Someone pointed out .. they are separate bills.

All are under his name except this Reliance one :( :( :(
Phone, cable, electricity, gas, yes those are all utility accounts arranged by the tenant. A hot water heater isn't a utility. It's equipment that uses a utility. Just like the fridge and stove in the unit aren't utilities, they are equipment that use utilities. Yes the tenant has his own accounts for energy utilities and pays for them, but the equipment is yours and you pay for it (and recoup the cost through your rent). Trying to bill the tenant separately for the hot water heater rental would be like leasing your fridge and stove and trying to get the tenant to take over the lease for those. You don't do it that way. You pay, and build the cost into the rent.
Jun 2, 2012
320 posts
302 upvotes
NORTH YORK
If it’s billed separately, it must be like $30 a month. The aggravation you are putting yourself through hardly seems worth it.

Just pay and add it to your expenses in your taxes.