Landlord wants to increase rent after “special” covid price

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 6th, 2021 4:15 pm
[OP]
Dec 25, 2019
3 posts
1 upvote

Landlord wants to increase rent after “special” covid price

Tile says it all. Landlord in Toronto brought my rent down during covid but now wants to bring it back up. I think it’s ridiculous to bring it back up to pre-pandemic levels, do I have any legal rights to say no to this?
20 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22855 posts
21706 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Leozilla23 wrote: Tile says it all. Landlord in Toronto brought my rent down during covid but now wants to bring it back up. I think it’s ridiculous to bring it back up to pre-pandemic levels, do I have any legal rights to say no to this?
Couple of TIPS as I see you are pretty new to the RFD FORUMS

# 1 - This is the WRONG FORUM for your Question

This one is for convos about the RFD Website itself

Mods will no doubt move this thread to the right spot for you

But for future reference check out the Main Forum Directory BEFORE you post so you know where things fit

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/

In the meantime…

# 2 - Update your RFD Profile to show a location (like mine says Eastern Ontario )

Can be your Province, Region, Nearby Big City, or small hometown

Cuz RFD is a Canada wide website with MILLIONS of members sea to sea, and coast to coast
NFLD to BC and Point Pelee to Iqualuit

It helps on the forums … when folks know where you are coming from … your perspective / POV

Housing is controlled by Provincial Laws … so knowing WHERE you live is extremely important

What your rights are in one place to the next can therefore differ greatly
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19100 posts
17433 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
I’m trying to understand why you’re upset.
Mar 28, 2017
612 posts
489 upvotes
I build my new forever home with the Amazon boxes that I saved up. Best decision ever no landlord scum to answer to. All landlords are leechs how dare they owned their own homes. The gouveement needs to give me more free handouts so I can waste it at the bar.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19100 posts
17433 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
johnnyepy666 wrote: I build my new forever home with the Amazon boxes that I saved up. Best decision ever no landlord scum to answer to. All landlords are leechs how dare they owned their own homes. The gouveement needs to give me more free handouts so I can waste it at the bar.
I must have missed the “landlord wants to decrease my rent….” Thread.

Landlord was foolish to do that. Should have given 1 month free or some other incentive. How many tenants accepted reduced rent knowing they would not accept any increase in rent?
Feb 11, 2009
385 posts
130 upvotes
The landlord did a favor during covid times and you still manage to Complain?

Seriously....
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2010
1510 posts
1836 upvotes
Toronto
Did you sign a new lease or did you just verbally agree to pay less (indefinitely)?
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2016
1031 posts
858 upvotes
GTA, ontario
you're trolling right?
chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks
buy BTC + hold BTC (cold storage pls) = relax
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2020
2642 posts
3165 upvotes
Despite your claim, the title does NOT say it all.

Imma fix it for ya.

Landlord wants to increase rent after “special” covid price, unappreciative tenant wants the world to owe them forever.
Mar 12, 2017
705 posts
660 upvotes
The other day my friend lent me tools because I needed to work on my house and now he wants them back!!! I think that it's ridiculous that he wants his tools back.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
6517 posts
3788 upvotes
Thornhill
I think your landlord should be thanking you for living in his house and should gift it to you and also pay all expenses.

How ungrateful can you be? The LL does a kind deed that they don't need to do and you kick sand in their face.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13063 posts
8307 upvotes
Markham
licenced wrote: I think your landlord should be thanking you for living in his house and should gift it to you and also pay all expense
You are the only one in this whole thread who provide solutions to OP lol
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
3245 posts
6213 upvotes
Toronto/Markham
Leozilla23 wrote: Tile says it all. Landlord in Toronto brought my rent down during covid but now wants to bring it back up. I think it’s ridiculous to bring it back up to pre-pandemic levels, do I have any legal rights to say no to this?
A+ trolling
RE Broker
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2013
2040 posts
637 upvotes
Toronto
OP getting owned with these comments LOL. no further reply from OP
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3440 posts
2217 upvotes
Mississauga
Lol had the system been fair to all parties, landlords would have been allowed to throw such ungrateful tenants to the street.
Sep 23, 2011
437 posts
599 upvotes
Vaughan
XSnapSX wrote: OP getting owned with these comments LOL. no further reply from OP
The LOL is that someone created a troll account and thread to rile up the landlords on this forum. And it worked with many...
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2020
2642 posts
3165 upvotes
Saniokca wrote: The LOL is that someone created a troll account and thread to rile up the landlords on this forum. And it worked with many...
One doesn't need to be a landlord to react to this. If you really think that's the motivation for the pushback, we have different views of right and wrong.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
26721 posts
5852 upvotes
Probably trolling, but in case this is serious, here's an actual answer.

What does your lease say? If you signed a new lease indicating the lower rent amount, then that is the rent until such time as the lease expires and then the landlord can increase it according to provincial laws.

If a new lease wasn't signed, then you owe the pre-covid amount and there's nothing you can do legally.

I can't imagine your landlord was dumb enough to sign a new lease with a lower amount, but who knows. Either way, your landlord did you a favour and what you're doing is a dick move. You should be thankful you got a break for a while. Most didn't, and those of us with mortgages definitely didn't get any breaks.
Dec 14, 2006
217 posts
131 upvotes
Toronto
Clearly, OP is into stirring things up.
Life is Hard. It's harder when you're stupid.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)