Personal Finance

Landlords in BC: Reviews on BC Landlords Association Membership/TVS/Other Services?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2013 7:00 pm
[OP]
Aug 26, 2008
476 posts
57 upvotes
Vancouver

Landlords in BC: Reviews on BC Landlords Association Membership/TVS/Other Services?

Hi fellow BCers,

Does anyone have experience with the $99 or $199 One Time Membership Fee through bclandlords.ca/membership? I initially checked out Equifax's tenant verification - it costs $150 per year with $25 per credit check, and they said if I have a membership through BCLA I get a discount. On first look it looks like the BCLA membership is the better deal.

So is the extra $100 worth it for all the extra stuff? Is the $99 worth it for the basic membership?

I just registered for TVS, which was free, but haven't used it yet. Any experiences? Also heard about Rentcheck, Backcheck and some other services - anyone have any experience there?
Buying: Your US Shares (directly held with transfer agent)
6 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2009
1311 posts
289 upvotes
The website you mention all backs to the same backend that is also advertised under http://ontariolandlords.org/.
You will find that, at least in their forum, there is virtually no BC specific information.

I find the practice of slapping multiple domains to try and sell regionality a little scammy to be honest.

I use rentcheck for credit checks ($9.99)

I dont have specific experience with this organization. One would think the forum would be an accurate representation of their focus, and if so, I would judge their BC focus to be very thin.

If you have a good experience do come back and say so though.
[OP]
Aug 26, 2008
476 posts
57 upvotes
Vancouver
bluenote wrote: The website you mention all backs to the same backend that is also advertised under http://ontariolandlords.org/.
You will find that, at least in their forum, there is virtually no BC specific information.

I find the practice of slapping multiple domains to try and sell regionality a little scammy to be honest.
Thanks, good catch. I saw that as well.
bluenote wrote: I use rentcheck for credit checks ($9.99)
How has your experience been with rentcheck? Can you do a credit check without requiring SIN? Or is there a way for the tenant to be able to pass their SIN directly to the verification service? Other posts on RFD seem to be selling Equifax as a "tenant doesn't need to give SIN to landlord" credit check as some tenants are reluctant to pass on SIN.
bluenote wrote: I dont have specific experience with this organization. One would think the forum would be an accurate representation of their focus, and if so, I would judge their BC focus to be very thin.

If you have a good experience do come back and say so though.
I don't need the service right away but I think I'll wait for a couple more responses before jumping in.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2422 posts
791 upvotes
mmadness wrote: Hi fellow BCers,
It's clear you only want to do credit checks. Therefore you should contact the various providers. If you want networking and education and help it's a different story.

BackCheck offers some great services.
[OP]
Aug 26, 2008
476 posts
57 upvotes
Vancouver
Hmm, is it just me or did it suddenly get very tense in here? :lol:

Let's all calm down? Just looking for any help and advice I can get. If someone has a different experience or more information with an organization then great, let's hear the experience.

Beeg, seems you are experienced with the BC LA? Any thoughts on the $99 vs. $199 membership? Worth it?
Beeg wrote: It's clear you only want to do credit checks. Therefore you should contact the various providers. If you want networking and education and help it's a different story.
Hmm, not sure you can jump to how it's "clear" I only want to do credit checks? Credit checks are good, but if I'm asking about the membership options then it's because I may see value in them? Being a landlord is not just about credit checks is it? I just have not heard any first-hand experience about these options.
Beeg wrote: BackCheck offers some great services.
Great - do they use Equifax or their own credit checking? Do they require a SIN from the landlord or not? More thoughts on why BackCheck vs. TVS/other services?
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2009
1311 posts
289 upvotes
mmadness wrote: Hmm, is it just me or did it suddenly get very tense in here? :lol:

Let's all calm down? Just looking for any help and advice I can get. If someone has a different experience or more information with an organization then great, let's hear the experience.

Beeg, seems you are experienced with the BC LA? Any thoughts on the $99 vs. $199 membership? Worth it?

Hmm, not sure you can jump to how it's "clear" I only want to do credit checks? Credit checks are good, but if I'm asking about the membership options then it's because I may see value in them? Being a landlord is not just about credit checks is it? I just have not heard any first-hand experience about these options.

Great - do they use Equifax or their own credit checking? Do they require a SIN from the landlord or not? More thoughts on why BackCheck vs. TVS/other services?
Hi mmad

I ask for SIN on my applications so I use SIN. I don't think its necessary, but don't quote me. I don't do a lot of credit checks, so I'm not an expert by any means. The rentcheck one for $9.99 did give me exactly what I wanted as far as credit check. I havent had anyone balk at SIN, I guess I have an honest face. Rentcheck does have some kind of tenant quality rating lookup, but I don't know anything about it.

By the way, I use the (extremely) useful BC court records search. Do yourself a favor and note down the cumbersome URL. It's not a silver bullet , but its an extremely useful tool. https://eservice.ag.gov.bc.ca/cso/esear ... ySearch.do I'm sure you must know that at least in BC doing a criminal record check on somebody is a arduous and not really feasible process. This was the best replacement for me, and it's been useful for friends of mine, who've been interested to note fraud convictions on some applicants. I've always weeded out bad apples before that point (fake references, etc) but its a nice additional check. I disclaim my ability to run any kind of check I want specificly noting criminal record, court records, credit check, etc in my application to cover my ***** . IANAL so I can only share what I'm doing.

Beeg - nice to see you calmed down and removed that , uh, zealous post. Wasn't trying to offend you personally, and it was by no means a 'hack job' ... its just obvious information. Hopefully the management of that site would take advantage of important constructive criticism like that, but, to each their own.

My own personal experience has been when I search that forum for BC specific info in the past , it was useless to me. YMMV.
[OP]
Aug 26, 2008
476 posts
57 upvotes
Vancouver
bluenote wrote: I ask for SIN on my applications so I use SIN. I don't think its necessary, but don't quote me. I don't do a lot of credit checks, so I'm not an expert by any means. The rentcheck one for $9.99 did give me exactly what I wanted as far as credit check. I havent had anyone balk at SIN, I guess I have an honest face. Rentcheck does have some kind of tenant quality rating lookup, but I don't know anything about it.
OK, good stuff.
bluenote wrote: By the way, I use the (extremely) useful BC court records search. Do yourself a favor and note down the cumbersome URL. It's not a silver bullet , but its an extremely useful tool. https://eservice.ag.gov.bc.ca/cso/esear ... ySearch.do I'm sure you must know that at least in BC doing a criminal record check on somebody is a arduous and not really feasible process. This was the best replacement for me, and it's been useful for friends of mine, who've been interested to note fraud convictions on some applicants. I've always weeded out bad apples before that point (fake references, etc) but its a nice additional check. I disclaim my ability to run any kind of check I want specificly noting criminal record, court records, credit check, etc in my application to cover my ***** . IANAL so I can only share what I'm doing.
Wow, this is great. I didn't even know we could do this. Thanks for this valuable resource!