Real Estate

Landlords can still threaten tenants with evictions, says the province

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 2nd, 2020 11:11 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 22, 2011
10175 posts
12596 upvotes
Toronto

Landlords can still threaten tenants with evictions, says the province

Just an FYI you can still issue eviction notices in Ontario which will start the clock.

I also recall an Ontario announcement that they were starting a process to move the process out of the courts if anyone has a source. This could address the back log once quarantine is lifted.


Landlords can still threaten tenants with evictions, says the province
https://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/ ... vince.html
https://outline.com/M7mKKN
10 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 2, 2012
4010 posts
1902 upvotes
Toronto
WIth the flood of previous Airbnb rentals that may be coming on the market for long term rent, and the flood of renters being evicted for non-payment of rent during COVID, it will be interesting times for the remainder of this year.

Landlords may find even if they evict their tenants, their only choices for new tenants are those that were evicted elsewhere for non-payment of rent during COVID.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 22, 2011
10175 posts
12596 upvotes
Toronto
rob444 wrote: WIth the flood of previous Airbnb rentals that may be coming on the market for long term rent, and the flood of renters being evicted for non-payment of rent during COVID, it will be interesting times for the remainder of this year.

Landlords may find even if they evict their tenants, their only choices for new tenants are those that were evicted elsewhere for non-payment of rent during COVID.
Not necessarily, I know a few people who chose to stay with parents while working DT because it was too expensive. Now that rents are coming down a few are looking, I actually just rented to one she is a nurse and I gave her a good deal. Even helped her rent out the parking spot for $200 so she saves even more on rent.

There is alot of pent up demand for housing in this city, I wouldn't be surprised if there are a million people in the GTA living in conditions they would like to upgrade. I think people renting rooms in their house and basements will see demand fall as people opt for better housing options. If anything they will be taking on poor tenants with bad credit. But they also have much more power and authority over their housing, especially room mates who can be evicted with no court.

I'd be really interested to see the long term impacts of this. I imagine a lot of poor people who stayed put because of rent control are now going to get royally screwed if they get evicted and are subject to market rent. Apartment buildings might actually see a large net positive from this event in the long term.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
3318 posts
3648 upvotes
Toronto
gonna be like the hunger games in DT Toronto.....
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2579 posts
1302 upvotes
Ottawa
mazerbeaner wrote: Not necessarily, I know a few people who chose to stay with parents while working DT because it was too expensive. Now that rents are coming down a few are looking, I actually just rented to one she is a nurse and I gave her a good deal. Even helped her rent out the parking spot for $200 so she saves even more on rent.

There is alot of pent up demand for housing in this city, I wouldn't be surprised if there are a million people in the GTA living in conditions they would like to upgrade. I think people renting rooms in their house and basements will see demand fall as people opt for better housing options. If anything they will be taking on poor tenants with bad credit. But they also have much more power and authority over their housing, especially room mates who can be evicted with no court.

I'd be really interested to see the long term impacts of this. I imagine a lot of poor people who stayed put because of rent control are now going to get royally screwed if they get evicted and are subject to market rent. Apartment buildings might actually see a large net positive from this event in the long term.
Jesus. So you gave someone a good deal and this is a sign of pent up demand? Yes the market will equalize but no way this is positive. It might not have any impact on prices as those can easily diverge from fundamentals based on sentiment. For example at this point I would think Toronto is looking really attractive to wealthy people all over the world who have been shown to consider rental return irrelevant.
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
14216 posts
10524 upvotes
rob444 wrote: WIth the flood of previous Airbnb rentals that may be coming on the market for long term rent, and the flood of renters being evicted for non-payment of rent during COVID, it will be interesting times for the remainder of this year.

Landlords may find even if they evict their tenants, their only choices for new tenants are those that were evicted elsewhere for non-payment of rent during COVID.
Or leave the property empty until things stabilize or just sell. Finally landlords will have the opportunity to let kids, parents whoever live in their properties as they will be vacant.

Rant control will force landlords to think twice about leasing for drastically reduced rent as when things get better, they will be stuck.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 22, 2011
10175 posts
12596 upvotes
Toronto
fogetmylogin wrote: Jesus. So you gave someone a good deal and this is a sign of pent up demand? Yes the market will equalize but no way this is positive. It might not have any impact on prices as those can easily diverge from fundamentals based on sentiment. For example at this point I would think Toronto is looking really attractive to wealthy people all over the world who have been shown to consider rental return irrelevant.
My point was there are still going to be people who want to move DT.
Member
Aug 22, 2016
465 posts
260 upvotes
joepipe wrote: gonna be like the hunger games in DT Toronto.....
While the Avengers endgame is playing in Cinemas.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Aug 11, 2019
176 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto
Playing musical chairs on the titanic haha
rob444 wrote: WIth the flood of previous Airbnb rentals that may be coming on the market for long term rent, and the flood of renters being evicted for non-payment of rent during COVID, it will be interesting times for the remainder of this year.

Landlords may find even if they evict their tenants, their only choices for new tenants are those that were evicted elsewhere for non-payment of rent during COVID.
Full Time Realtor
GTA & Surrounding Areas

Top