Hot Deals

Landmark Cinemas

Landmark Extras membership program - $9.99/month tier with free movie every month

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2021 6:29 am
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2012
3158 posts
2634 upvotes
BC
DeltaSingh wrote: Is no one excited for the free tier? I love that they have a loyalty program now!
I loved Atom loyalty program when it lasted... Watch 10 movies and get a free ticket.

This one, details TBD...
Aug 28, 2011
194 posts
120 upvotes
CALGARY
Tcalp wrote: These are frankly the death rattle of the theatres that are left. There simply aren't enough 'big blockbuster' movies left, most stuff has shifted direct to streaming. Now with instant/dual release or in the base of what's coming the new '45 day window' before a 'blockbuster' goes on streaming. I do think it's too bad though, I liked going to theatres from time to time (as I"ve gotten older, less and less mind you) --- none the less, sad that 'theatres' in general will go the way of the 'drive in'.
Theaters literally just announced today that they are getting 45 day exclusivity from Warner’s. Others will follow. So theaters are not dead. And I hope they never are. Still the best place for any “major” movie.
Aug 28, 2011
194 posts
120 upvotes
CALGARY
thelasthunter wrote: 120 a year to watch the umpteenth superhero flick with the latest virtue signalling msgs, no thanks.
Ummmm ok - so go watch the latest drama movie over your highly compressed Netflix scrib at 15$ per month then?

You don’t like movie theaters. Lots do. Why would you even bother reading or commenting? Don’t get it.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2004
1758 posts
1675 upvotes
drpepper1 wrote: Theaters literally just announced today that they are getting 45 day exclusivity from Warner’s. Others will follow. So theaters are not dead. And I hope they never are. Still the best place for any “major” movie.
That's exactly my point it used to be a 90-120 window, 45 days is not a long time. 'Major' releases are few and far between these days.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1650 posts
2057 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Lone_Prodigy wrote: The flexibility of choosing which Tuesday to see a film?
yeah but only if you want to save the extra money. I meant flexibility to go any day but not necessarily be forced to go every month when there are no good movies out. The $4.50 savings isn't worth it to lock into a subscription. They are hoping people sign up for the service and forget to use it
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1650 posts
2057 upvotes
VANCOUVER
muffin4life wrote: Yup.. what I don't get is ppl who click the link read the posts and make some stupid comments on how this isn't a deal and they don't go to see movies. Why even bother clicking on the deal in the first place?!?
This is a discussion forum. People posts deals and others come in to discuss the value of the deal and vote on it.

I just pointed out that this is not really a deal and gave my reasoning. I go to the theaters to watch movies all the time (before COVID) but I think being forced to watch a movie every month to save $4.50 (or overpay by $0.50) is not a good deal. I don't want to be restricted to watch movies on their terms.

I would be interested if this was like MoviePass where you got unlimited movies for $10/month. THAT was a deal! This is cold.

Why would you go to a discussion forum not to discuss the deal lol. Are we all supposed to agree like some sort of circle jerk echo chamber? What is even the point of having comments on here if not to talk about the good and bad?
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
14986 posts
4623 upvotes
You are not being forced to do anything. It's just a subscription. Do you force yourself to listen to an album a day on Spotify? Spend an hour on Netflix a day? Buy something on Amazon every week?

A subscription is convenient, flexible, and optional. It's not necessarily good value depending on when and how you use it.
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!
Nov 21, 2018
23 posts
22 upvotes
The weirdest thing about this offer is the $20 tier for me. Even after discounting the free movie ticket for $14.50, you pay ~5.50$ upfront to get some more points per year, which seems hardly worth it for literally anyone. Based on the Scene earning rate, we're talking about 7.5% instead of 5% back in points here, so on a regular admission ticket that's less than $0.40 bonus. That's over 1 movie a month just to break even at the end of the yead. At that point you could have just gotten the monthly club membership and saved way more money, with the flexibility to cancel monthly instead of investing into 12 months upfront.

I really don't know who this mid tier is targeting, and I'm even more surprised that the movie club tier doesn't even include the same perk just to make it look slightly more attractive. My guess is that they are prepared to give that membership tier away for free during promo periods, or with the purchase of specific combos or deal. Then they can advertise "$20 value" when it really is a negligible cost for them and is likely to boost future sales on tickets.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
3247 posts
3656 upvotes
drpepper1 wrote: Ummmm ok - so go watch the latest drama movie over your highly compressed Netflix scrib at 15$ per month then?

You don’t like movie theaters. Lots do. Why would you even bother reading or commenting? Don’t get it.
Because last time I checked posters were still free to evaluate the quality of the products for these deals, without others being butthurt about it. It's a discussion forum, not an advert for the cinemas. I personally prefer classic Hollywood and arthouse cinema, something that Netflix has at least a modicum of. But no one's stopping you from subscribing to this "hot deal" to watch the latest cookie-cutter flicks for teeny boppers.
For Sale:
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2012
4440 posts
7621 upvotes
Toronto
goozy1 wrote: This is a discussion forum. People posts deals and others come in to discuss the value of the deal and vote on it.

I just pointed out that this is not really a deal and gave my reasoning. I go to the theaters to watch movies all the time (before COVID) but I think being forced to watch a movie every month to save $4.50 (or overpay by $0.50) is not a good deal. I don't want to be restricted to watch movies on their terms.

I would be interested if this was like MoviePass where you got unlimited movies for $10/month. THAT was a deal! This is cold.

Why would you go to a discussion forum not to discuss the deal lol. Are we all supposed to agree like some sort of circle jerk echo chamber? What is even the point of having comments on here if not to talk about the good and bad?
Just think for a moment if this was your business and you witnesses MoviePass burn to the ground in bankruptcy. Would you want to do unlimited movies for $9.99/month? Is 1 movie a good subscription? no, I think it should have included at least 2, maybe 3 but wanting unlimited movies for $9.99/month doesn't make any business sense. It's a different business model than netflix or Spotify.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2010
3765 posts
174 upvotes
Barrie
thelasthunter wrote: Because last time I checked posters were still free to evaluate the quality of the products for these deals, without others being butthurt about it. It's a discussion forum, not an advert for the cinemas. I personally prefer classic Hollywood and arthouse cinema, something that Netflix has at least a modicum of. But no one's stopping you from subscribing to this "hot deal" to watch the latest cookie-cutter flicks for teeny boppers.
Is it really discussing the value of the product when you are really just here because you hate superhero movies?
We don't know, so it's possible. And it's possible, so it's probably probable.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
3247 posts
3656 upvotes
Agafaba wrote: Is it really discussing the value of the product when you are really just here because you hate superhero movies?
Isn't it possible to hate superhero movies, while at the same time disliking most other cheap thrillers churned out by Hollywood? The two things are not exclusionary, but they do go together, with obnoxious cinema kids, like peanut butter and jam.
For Sale:
Aug 11, 2021
2 posts
2 upvotes
As much as I like that it will still save *some* money, it is still nowhere near the Cineplex club in terms of benefits

Cineplex offers the same 20% off concessions, points on purchases, and one free regular ticket, AND:
9.99$ for any other tickets, including up to two per show time, and three per day. Plus discounts on games and rec room stuff.

When it comes to being a pass, the Landmark one helps you with just one admission, while cineplex keeps racking up savings the more you visit. In terms of being a "pass", cineclub is more legit than extras.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2004
1758 posts
1675 upvotes
Nexzen wrote: Just think for a moment if this was your business and you witnesses MoviePass burn to the ground in bankruptcy. Would you want to do unlimited movies for $9.99/month? Is 1 movie a good subscription? no, I think it should have included at least 2, maybe 3 but wanting unlimited movies for $9.99/month doesn't make any business sense. It's a different business model than netflix or Spotify.
Honestly a $25 unlimited pass for films in theatre are what's needed to bring people back to theatres. They would make money off the gross prices of pop/popcorn anyhow.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2004
1334 posts
1446 upvotes
Tcalp wrote: Honestly a $25 unlimited pass for films in theatre are what's needed to bring people back to theatres. They would make money off the gross prices of pop/popcorn anyhow.
You might have missed this in the Cineplex Thread.
Images
  • 480x360_smart_fit.jpg
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
2067 posts
773 upvotes
Scarborough
blyndfyre wrote: Not if they missed out on saving even more money on a "Hot" deal that got buried beneath a pile of mediocre deals.
If it's truly a hot deal it wouldn't be buried, and the mediocre deals would be the ones that get buried. Unless people keep posting how bad the deal is in the mediocre threads and end up bumping it up.
Koodo
Tangerine
Simplii
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
1587 posts
5172 upvotes
Calgary, AB
supremekai wrote: If it's truly a hot deal it wouldn't be buried, and the mediocre deals would be the ones that get buried. Unless people keep posting how bad the deal is in the mediocre threads and end up bumping it up.
Depends on how you sort the threads.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2012
3158 posts
2634 upvotes
BC
Anyone know if this "subscription" will qualify for BNS Momentum Visa "recurring" 4% CB?
Feb 18, 2018
822 posts
978 upvotes
muffin4life wrote: Someone mentioned that the "free" movie can be rolled over to the following month if not used.

So not forcing you to watch a movie each month
considering cineclub allows banking they are basically forced to do it also. honestly seems pretty good since you can go as a pair every 2 months
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
2067 posts
773 upvotes
Scarborough
blyndfyre wrote: Depends on how you sort the threads.
The only sorting where a thread could get buried is the default one, latest post goes to the top. The other sorting method shouldn't affect the "hot deal" ones.
Views, Score, Replies, would have the hot deals be at the the top.
Koodo
Tangerine
Simplii