Computers & Electronics

Laptop for 9th grade - NB return to school require laptops

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 29th, 2020 10:52 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2009
1788 posts
284 upvotes

Laptop for 9th grade - NB return to school require laptops

In New-Brunswick, we learned yesterday that 9th to 12 grade students needs to bring a laptop at school. My daughter is in grade 9. I'm looking for a nice laptop for her to bring to school. Probably a Ryzen. I would not think it requires that powerful of a laptop. Problem, I want to wait for return to school deals, but a lot of people will be buying laptop in NB because of this and I might want to buy earlier because of risk stock shortage.

Thanks for the recommendation.
9 replies
Newbie
May 27, 2007
99 posts
9 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Interesting dilemma.

For a 9th grader lugging back and forth to school, weight and battery life would be a priority, and I assume ruggedness. If available, I'd consider a Lenovo T Series refurb, one of the IBM pre owned machines, but, stock looks low , and no option for an extended warranty or accidental coverage.

https://www-store.shop.ibm.com/shop/use ... -16004-124

Years back, I purchased a Lenovo E Series laptop for my niece going to University, with the accidental coverage, and she used it several times. that machine had a tough life, and lasted her thru 4 years of University.
The Thinkbook 14 or Thinkpad E series might are worth looking at, as is the T or X series.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29051 posts
14592 upvotes
geralds34 wrote: Lenovo T Series refurb
As much as I love the T series, I'm not sure I'd go with a refurb. She's probably gonna be without power and refurb batteries are either not bad to terrible.
Being in school working on it for 6 hours means that the battery may or may not make it that long now or shortly in the future.

Luckily due to popularity, replacement batteries are easy to get, but that's quite the expense.
Apparently T450 still has genuine batteries available but they're like $200. 3rd party can either be awesome or awful but are cheaper.

On the other side of the coin, lower end notebooks aren't exactly the best either.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1540 posts
789 upvotes
I would suggest waiting till around mid Aug for the sale prices to kick in. Labor week will have some cheap deals - but as you said, run the risk of no stock.
There is a shortage of laptops that will last till the holidays which will result in less aggressive deals. Biggest shortage is in Chromebooks and gaming.
Recent US govt adding more Chinese companies to the banned list will make the problem get worse.
You should be able to get a reasonably thin laptop with i5 or Ryzen 5 for $600-$800 depending on the specs (RAM and SSD). This price point is based on decent chassis not the fat old stuff and also decent specs i.e. min 8Gb and 512 SSD.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2228 posts
1754 upvotes
spend the money if you can and get her a nice and light laptop that will get her through her high school years. you can check Lenovo EPP for options.
Sr. Member
Nov 14, 2012
654 posts
492 upvotes
vernonco wrote: I would suggest waiting till around mid Aug for the sale prices to kick in. Labor week will have some cheap deals - but as you said, run the risk of no stock.
There is a shortage of laptops that will last till the holidays which will result in less aggressive deals. Biggest shortage is in Chromebooks and gaming.
Recent US govt adding more Chinese companies to the banned list will make the problem get worse.
You should be able to get a reasonably thin laptop with i5 or Ryzen 5 for $600-$800 depending on the specs (RAM and SSD). This price point is based on decent chassis not the fat old stuff and also decent specs i.e. min 8Gb and 512 SSD.
I would expect that US/China bickering would be good for Canadian consumers as Chinese manufacturers would be focusing their export to Canada or bypassing the US restrictions through Canada (e.g. final assembly here).
.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1540 posts
789 upvotes
ramon2 wrote: I would expect that US/China bickering would be good for Canadian consumers as Chinese manufacturers would be focusing their export to Canada or bypassing the US restrictions through Canada (e.g. final assembly here).
Nope not true. US Commerce dept ban list means that US companies cannot sell to those companies. So Intel, AMD, Google, MS stop shipments which off course means that that factory cannot make anything.
If tariffs are introduced, then yes, easier to sell to Canada though no country can make up the US shortfall if it happens.
For NBs in particular, very hard to assemble anything locally. The only components that could be added/tweaked locally would be RAM and SSD. So no real gains.
Which is why I believe that NBs will be in short supply depending on the specs all the way to holidays. Does not mean that there will be no notebooks, just that you will see stock outs regularly on popular models and less aggressive promotions. As per this thread OP, you can see demand continuing to be high due to WFH and Study from home. With consumers unable to spend their discretionary money on travel and entertainment/dining out, they will spend more dollars/demand on their family. WHile one NB would have sufficed before, now almost everyone in the family will have their own device. Chromebook demand is driven by elementary school students. Gaming demand is thru the roof as people spend more time at home.
Sr. Member
Nov 14, 2012
654 posts
492 upvotes
vernonco wrote: Nope not true. US Commerce dept ban list means that US companies cannot sell to those companies. So Intel, AMD, Google, MS stop shipments which off course means that that factory cannot make anything.
Actually, AMD mobile APUs are made by TSMC, Taiwan and not in GloFo, California, so manufacturing laptops should not not be a problem, but getting them to US without tariffs.

Anyway, I am looking at Lenovo Flex 5 14" Ryzen 5 4500U, 16G RAM, 256G SSD on Amazon currently for C$910, but it was C$795 a month ago. Should I wait a bit or just go for it ?
.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1540 posts
789 upvotes
ramon2 wrote: Actually, AMD mobile APUs are made by TSMC, Taiwan and not in GloFo, California, so manufacturing laptops should not not be a problem, but getting them to US without tariffs.

Anyway, I am looking at Lenovo Flex 5 14" Ryzen 5 4500U, 16G RAM, 256G SSD on Amazon currently for C$910, but it was C$795 a month ago. Should I wait a bit or just go for it ?
You should wait. BTS stock is arriving late this year due to COVID manufacturing delays and high freight costs. As stock levels pick up you will see more promos from mid Aug to Second week of Sept which is the peak season. I would think you would be able to get a Ryzen 5, 16, 512 for $800 or less at that time from a couple of vendors.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36194 posts
9452 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
ramon2 wrote: I would expect that US/China bickering would be good for Canadian consumers as Chinese manufacturers would be focusing their export to Canada or bypassing the US restrictions through Canada (e.g. final assembly here).
China is picking a fight with the entire world.

Have you forgotten about the two Michaels that are languishing in a Chinese prison?

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)