• Nov 17th, 2020 11:18 pm
Tags:
Nov 24, 2015
13 posts
Halifax, NS

Laptop - which is a better deal?

1. https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/dell-la ... cs_section

2. https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/p/asus- ... verviewtab

Any thoughts as to which is a better deal, built quallity, etc. (10th vs 11th generation processor, 512 vs 256 GB drive). Unfortunately, I do not know much about the ASUS brand.

Any further information from those who have have experiences with either of these two laptops or brands would be appreciated.

Thanks.
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8428 posts
4673 upvotes
Durham
Asus has been around since 1989 ... their laptops are great for gaming.

Really depends on what you use it for.

I had an Acer Aspire AS5736Z-4435 from April 2 2011 Future Shop for $399.99+HST ... Acer Aspire 15.6" Intel Pentium T4500 2.3GHz with 4GB DD3 RAM, 320GB HDD, Integrated 3D graphics, 8X DVD-ROM, 3 USB, HDMI, VGA, SD Card reader, Acer InviLink™ Nplify™ 802.11b/g/n, Windows 7 (and later it was pirated versions of Windows from my IT buddy) ... used for almost 10 years ... it was on its last legs ... parted out and recovered $150 from the parts ... converted the Hard Drive into an external USB Drive (bought a clear case on Amazon).

Replaced with an Asus X540BA-BB61-CB early this year from Best Buy for $369.99+HST ... ASUS 15.6" AMD Dual Core A6-9225 2.6GHz with 8GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB HDD, AMD Radeon R4 Graphics, 2 USB2, 1 USB3, HDMI, MicroSD reader, Integrated 802.11 AC, Windows 10.

Sufficient for my usage. Only two issues:

1) all USB ports and HDMI port on ONE SIDE of the laptop
2) absence of Ethernet Port (I prefer wired connection)
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1648 posts
865 upvotes
blackcat657 wrote: 1. https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/dell-la ... cs_section

2. https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/p/asus- ... verviewtab

Any thoughts as to which is a better deal, built quallity, etc. (10th vs 11th generation processor, 512 vs 256 GB drive). Unfortunately, I do not know much about the ASUS brand.

Any further information from those who have have experiences with either of these two laptops or brands would be appreciated.

Thanks.
My comparisons below, specially some stuff that is not obvious. You can make the decision.
So the Dell site is very detailed/intensive with lots of add on options so hard to find detailed specs.
From what I could see after scrolling, only the Dell 'Dune' model has FHD, the other model is HD only which is crazy for this price. Maybe I am wrong because it says FHD in the description but detailed specs says FHD only on Dune model.
Could not find out if the Dell model has a backlit keyboard. Maybe someone else can spend more time checking. Asus model has backlit keyboard. Both models have a fingerprint sensor.
From a size perspective they are close though it appears the Asus model is marginally lighter and smaller.
From a spec perspective the Dell has the faster Intel processor but the Asus has a bigger SSD and is cheaper.
Asus has Microsoft Win10 Pro OS while the Dell has Win10 Home. Asus has TPM for more security, Dell does not. This is important for some customers.
From a brand perspective, Asus is Top 3 consumer notebook brand in Canada. Dell is No 6 for consumer laptops in Canada. For business laptops Dell is No 2 or 3.
For what its worth, Asus won Laptop Mag Best Notebook brand this year.
I do not know Dell service/support but do know that Asus service is in Markham and provides two way shipping for in warranty service.
Nov 24, 2015
13 posts
Halifax, NS
Thanks vernonco and jdmfishingonly for your feedback. Vernonco - appreciate your 'detective' work. Given your info, I will proceed with the purchase of the Asus (larger drive, Win10 Pro, FHD, good brand, and cheaper!)
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3079 posts
1699 upvotes
Toronto
blackcat657 wrote: Thanks vernonco and jdmfishingonly for your feedback. Vernonco - appreciate your 'detective' work. Given your info, I will proceed with the purchase of the Asus (larger drive, Win10 Pro, FHD, good brand, and cheaper!)
As far as I understand, FHD just means the resolution is 1080P. The Dell one you linked is 1080P and has a backlit keyboard.

Personally, I like Dell because the keyboard is a US English only keyboard. Probably because the laptops are mailed out from the US.

NOTE: I didn't look at the ASUS one. I just quickly looked at the Dell one.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1648 posts
865 upvotes
ds2chan wrote: As far as I understand, FHD just means the resolution is 1080P. The Dell one you linked is 1080P and has a backlit keyboard.

Personally, I like Dell because the keyboard is a US English only keyboard. Probably because the laptops are mailed out from the US.

NOTE: I didn't look at the ASUS one. I just quickly looked at the Dell one.
I was not sure if the Dell model had backlit or 1080P. No mention of backlit and 1080P seemed to reference one of the colors only. Dell has packed so much mktg fluff and sell-up stuff that it is hard to find the detailed specs.
The Asus keyboard is as close to English only. The new keyboards are not like the weird older bilingual keyboards.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3079 posts
1699 upvotes
Toronto
vernonco wrote: I was not sure if the Dell model had backlit or 1080P. No mention of backlit and 1080P seemed to reference one of the colors only. Dell has packed so much mktg fluff and sell-up stuff that it is hard to find the detailed specs.
The Asus keyboard is as close to English only. The new keyboards are not like the weird older bilingual keyboards.
I know what you mean about the marketing crap. Everything is hidden. I just did a CTRL+F and searched for backlit and found it. I also search for 1080 and found the resolution.

I found the part that you were talking about where it said FHD but it said FHD is for the grey colour. The grey colour is the one the OP linked to. I didn't see an option for the Dune colour. I guess that's more like beige (like sand).
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"