Computers & Electronics

Laptop came with Windows 10 Home, upgraded to Windows 10 Edu, how to downgrade back to Windows 10 home?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 15th, 2019 6:34 pm
[OP]
Jun 18, 2010
484 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto

Laptop came with Windows 10 Home, upgraded to Windows 10 Edu, how to downgrade back to Windows 10 home?

So my laptop originally shipped with Windows 10 Home with a digital license, no product key. I did a clean install with Windows 10 Education I got from school. How do I downgrade back to Windows 10 Home?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3774 posts
999 upvotes
Clean install with Windows 10 home install media would probably be the simplest and cleanest way to do it.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2751 posts
912 upvotes
Windsor
Just put in the generic home key (found on MS site): it will downgrade to home. No need to reinstall anything.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
[OP]
Jun 18, 2010
484 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
birthdaymonkey wrote: Why do you wish to downgrade?
looking to give it a friend, but want to use the Windows 10 Edu license on my new PC build
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2012
1858 posts
1041 upvotes
Kelowna
lossless wrote: looking to give it a friend, but want to use the Windows 10 Edu license on my new PC build
You do know that Windows 10 Home is available for free in an unlicensed mode? The only difference is the friend won't be able to personalize their desktop wallpaper and they will have a small watermark in the corners of their desktop.

Cheers,
Doug
[OP]
Jun 18, 2010
484 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
dmehus wrote: You do know that Windows 10 Home is available for free in an unlicensed mode? The only difference is the friend won't be able to personalize their desktop wallpaper and they will have a small watermark in the corners of their desktop.

Cheers,
Doug
No I was not aware of this.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2012
1858 posts
1041 upvotes
Kelowna
lossless wrote: No I was not aware of this.
Yep, I read about it on ZDNet or HowToGeek (or both). Basically, you use the Windows Media Creation Tool to create a Windows disk, which lets you install and use Windows 10 but without an activated license, a desktop watermark appears and you can't change the desktop wallpaper, colour scheme, etc. I've tried it in a virtual machine, so definitely works.

Cheers,
Doug
[OP]
Jun 18, 2010
484 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
dmehus wrote: Yep, I read about it on ZDNet or HowToGeek (or both). Basically, you use the Windows Media Creation Tool to create a Windows disk, which lets you install and use Windows 10 but without an activated license, a desktop watermark appears and you can't change the desktop wallpaper, colour scheme, etc. I've tried it in a virtual machine, so definitely works.

Cheers,
Doug
That's great, thanks for sharing!