Request-A-Deal

Laptop for graduating high school

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2018 10:09 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
19989 posts
2702 upvotes
Out west

Laptop for graduating high school

Looking for a new laptop for my daughter who is graduating this year. Something that's smaller and light for school work etc when she goes to SAIT.

Her current one is about 6 years old and while it works, isn't the lightest. More of a work horse with a 17" screen.

Want to keep it under $1000. She doesn't not game at all, but would like one that's a general purpose use. Be able to use in class for whatever students use laptops in class for. Im sure use it for Netflix and Youtube

Don't need it ASAP, but thought to look now for when grad happen in May

No Apple products either

Thank you
30 replies
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
19989 posts
2702 upvotes
Out west
MaxPower19 wrote: Would a Surface be too expensive?
I know zero about those things. Laptops are what we use mostly. Just the old school, flip the lid up and down type of thing. Would want something that you can change hard drives and batteries if something ever happens to them.

Can you do that with a Surface?
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
2162 posts
964 upvotes
Victoria
WikkiWikki wrote: I know zero about those things. Laptops are what we use mostly. Just the old school, flip the lid up and down type of thing. Would want something that you can change hard drives and batteries if something ever happens to them.

Can you do that with a Surface?
No, you cannot swap the hard drive on a Surface. However, these are super-cool for school, does pretty much everything a laptop does and is only $50 over your budget - https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/store/d ... verviewtab
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
19989 posts
2702 upvotes
Out west
MaxPower19 wrote: No, you cannot swap the hard drive on a Surface. However, these are super-cool for school, does pretty much everything a laptop does and is only $50 over your budget - https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/store/d ... verviewtab
Those look like you would totally be at the mercy of a tech to fix it. Laptop a person can at least change things and repair them some what.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
2162 posts
964 upvotes
Victoria
WikkiWikki wrote: Those look like you would totally be at the mercy of a tech to fix it. Laptop a person can at least change things and repair them some what.
I'm not sure DIY fixing is at the top of most college students' priority list when it comes to choosing a device, especially since SSD's have a very good lifespan, but we are all free to make our own choices. :) Don't forget, a clunky laptop may be replaced sooner than a sleek device (by choice), so you may not be farther ahead in the end. Again though, totally your call.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 4, 2006
3689 posts
736 upvotes
WikkiWikki wrote: Don't need it ASAP, but thought to look now for when grad happen in May
Being RFD, I think most people here would suggest that you wait for back to school sales in Aug rather than purchase in May. (Though the older RFDers will always bemoan that this BTS, BF, or BD sale isn't as good as they were in the good ole days.)
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
19989 posts
2702 upvotes
Out west
poorwingman wrote: Being RFD, I think most people here would suggest that you wait for back to school sales in Aug rather than purchase in May. (Though the older RFDers will always bemoan that this BTS, BF, or BD sale isn't as good as they were in the good ole days.)
Well that wont work, since we want it as a gift for her grad
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5788 posts
5298 upvotes
Why don't you just go to Costco and buy a laptop that's within your budget?
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
19989 posts
2702 upvotes
Out west
superfresh89 wrote: Why don't you just go to Costco and buy a laptop that's within your budget?
Isnt RFD the place to post things like this, to find those deals that arent common place. Of course I could do that, just havent seen anything there that would work I think
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5788 posts
5298 upvotes
WikkiWikki wrote: Isnt RFD the place to post things like this, to find those deals that arent common place. Of course I could do that, just havent seen anything there that would work I think
Sure, if you have plenty of time to wait for a great deal on a (possibly refurbished) laptop. Stick around until back-to-school and I'm sure there will be tons of deals on various laptops.

What do you mean you haven't seen anything at Costco..? Look at Costco.ca too; you're going to be very hard pressed find a better deal than what you can get at Costco... Not to even mention the return policy.

I would never even consider buying a laptop from anywhere else.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 11, 2003
2415 posts
987 upvotes
Toronto
I don't know of any deals off the top of my head but my suggestion would be to look at Dell.ca because the keyboards are English only (not bilingual). This is a big deal to me and possibly to your daughter. I find it much easier to type using an English only keyboard.

If you do get a laptop with an SSD drive then try to find one that is 512 GB. At least your daughter will have room to install software and store some files. A 256 GB SSD drive might just be fine as long as she has a decent sized USB flash drive or external harddrive to back up any pictures, music, movies, and other files.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
19989 posts
2702 upvotes
Out west
ds2chan wrote: I don't know of any deals off the top of my head but my suggestion would be to look at Dell.ca because the keyboards are English only (not bilingual). This is a big deal to me and possibly to your daughter. I find it much easier to type using an English only keyboard.

If you do get a laptop with an SSD drive then try to find one that is 512 GB. At least your daughter will have room to install software and store some files. A 256 GB SSD drive might just be fine as long as she has a decent sized USB flash drive or external harddrive to back up any pictures, music, movies, and other files.

Thanks. We have only ever had English only keyboards, probably by chance.

Still looking, Im not in a rush
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
6151 posts
3017 upvotes
Global Village
Take a look at the Asus Flip 12.5 chromebook, versatile, light and in a pricerange where you can add a nice backpack, wireless mouse, laser printer and still stay within $1K.
All day I dream about sports
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
199 upvotes
Markham, ON
Just take your daughters laptop to a store that sells laptop and ask for a better model.

Ask for product information so you can check the price. Sheesh.

I am very particular about keyboard so your daughter may be too. That's why it's nice to have a model for reference.

She's been using it for six years. Hopefully she liked what she got originally and whatever upgrade you or she or her friends may have done to it.

Top