• Apr 30th, 2017 8:14 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2014
3212 posts
1274 upvotes
Toronto

Laptop Hard Drive SMART Status Bad

Hi, I have an older ASUS laptop X53E still kicking. I keep it around to download and do simple tasks.

A few days ago, it failed during a windows automatic update and can no longer startup, so I tried to re-install windows to wipe it clean. During this I chose to "format" the OS partition on the harddrive (e.g. C: drive) and now every time it boots up it goes into a black screen with words:

Port 0 : WDC WD7500BPVT-80HXZT3
S.M.A.R.T Status Bad Backup and Replace
Press F1 to Resume...

Most search of the web says this is 99% of a real failure in the hard drive. So I want to replace the hard drive and re-install windows.

Since I don't know too much about hard drive replacement, I have questions:
1) Can any internal laptop hard drive be used? Size and connector is standard for any laptop hard drive?
2) Should I choose an older HDD model (or same model as my failed HDD) to avoid BIOS not recognising a new HDD?

Thanks in advance!
2 replies
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
11915 posts
1581 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
1) You need to know the height of the drive. Obviously a thinner drive will fit, but depending on how the drive is mounted, there may be a bit of wobble, and you have to pad the empty space. I think your drive is 9.5mm. A lot of modern drives are 7mm.

2) You should be fine with anything 2TB or lower.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
2083 posts
945 upvotes
Saint John
Take this as a sign that it's time to move up to an SSD! There are a number of affordable SSDs in the 500GB range. The jump in performance over that 5400RPM WD Blue drive will blow your socks off.

Adata SU800 512GB - $170 shipped:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01K8A29CS/

It should just be a matter of taking out the old drive, installing the SSD in the drive caddy, popping it back in and reinstalling Windows. Put the old hard drive in an external enclosure, and copy your files to the new drive. Hopefully your important documents, pictures, etc. are still OK. The sooner you act, the better! Do not attempt to use the computer with the faulty drive, or further damage to your files may result!

If you don't have one already, or a desktop to do the file copying, I suggest one of these in your order along with the SSD (for free shipping):
https://www.amazon.ca/ELEGIANT-22Pin-Ad ... 00TH1B250/

EDIT:

I strongly recommend the pure SSD upgrade, but if you really can't afford it, then you should at least replace the drive with a "hybrid" SSHD. A hybrid is a blend of SSD and HDD (it has a small amount of NAND flash to act as a large cache and can speed up booting and your most commonly used files/programs). It won't be nearly as responsive as the SU800 drive linked above, but it should be much better than your old HDD at it's obviously a lot cheaper at around 1/4 the $/GB.

1TB - $78 shipped
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01LWRTRZU/