• Aug 25th, 2017 10:42 am
[OP]
Jan 4, 2016
384 posts
506 upvotes
Calgary

laptop for my girlfriend

Hey everyone,

As a preface; I know absolutely ZERO about laptops/computers so I decided to resort to this forum for an extra brain.

My girlfriend's laptop broke last year and she hasn't had one ever since. She's using her phone (note 5) as her everyday task.

I want to buy one for her as a birthday gift - my budget is around $500. I just want something that will last at least 5 years.

About her:

She wants a laptop so she can browse, youtube, watch movies. She does not game at all.

Thanks for the help guys i really appreciate it
10 replies
May 31, 2015
43 posts
2 upvotes
Snow Country
Try Black Friday Sales at Microsoft Store for a Dell Inspiron series laptop with Intel chip.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
2209 posts
1079 upvotes
Saint John
This machine should work very well for the usage you describe:

http://www.nmicrovip.ca/zenbook-core-m- ... furbished/

Nice screen, very light and portable, SSD.

Only issue is that it's not going to be the most durable thing around, but to get something truly sturdy in your price range, you're going to be looking at a used business laptop like a Thinkpad T-series or X-series.
Oct 18, 2004
382 posts
248 upvotes
Windsor
FWIW, if she's waited this long, listen to the advice of canucktrek and wait for the Microsoft Store Black Friday deal on the Dell Inspiron.
May 31, 2015
43 posts
2 upvotes
Snow Country
I agree with jackrabbit. Tablet is very useful. I have a gaming desktop, a laptop, and a tablet. I carry my light tablet out most of the time because I bicycle commuting and take public transit. It is easy to take the tablet out from my bag and put it back. Buy a protective cover for the tablet too. I have dropped my tablet a few times.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
3988 posts
2925 upvotes
Calgary
if all she wants it for is surf, youtube & watch movies, get her a chromebook. much better yet, get her a hybrid 2in1 chromebook. not only can she surf, she can surf stress free with absolute safety that there'll be no virus, spyware &or malware.

for you, it'll be just as stress free as there's no maintenance on your part nothing coz there's nothing she can screw up. if that slim possibility does occur, then a quick 1 click powerwash will restore the system to almost where she left off (minus any unsaved files ofcos).

on top of all that, there's a game changer called google play store. if you get the right chromebook (or better yet, a hybrid 2in1 chromebook), then chances are almost guaranteed that access to google's android playstore will be available (either stable or beta). mine gets it on beta & I'm running a myriad of playstore apps including kodi, media players, & a myriad of games (mostly without issue). imo android apps compatibility will only improve with time.

if thats not enough, then how about all day battery life. mine gets approx 8 - 10hrs of general usage (mixture of surfing, youtube, kodi & movies offa mSD card...basically almost exactly as what your gf will do). mine weighs approx 2.5lbs with a 12.5" gorgeous HD touchscreen so portability isnt a factor & honestly, I enjoy playing android games/apps on it more than the nexus 9.

I picked up my Asus C302 flip2 chromebook for $507 at newegg (openbox) so its possible you can get it round your budget (there are cheaper alternatives so the world's your oyster for choices). I have 2 win lappies (1's a 14" hybrid), a nexus 9 tablet & this chromebook & guess which device gets the most usage. infact I hardly touch anything else unless I need a specific win app. sadly my nexus 9 is sitting in a drawer gathering dust.

there's also other pluses for me but the above is just a sampling of todays chromebook goodness.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
2209 posts
1079 upvotes
Saint John
scotsum wrote: if all she wants it for is surf, youtube & watch movies, get her a chromebook. much better yet, get her a hybrid 2in1 chromebook. not only can she surf, she can surf stress free with absolute safety that there'll be no virus, spyware &or malware.

for you, it'll be just as stress free as there's no maintenance on your part nothing coz there's nothing she can screw up. if that slim possibility does occur, then a quick 1 click powerwash will restore the system to almost where she left off (minus any unsaved files ofcos).

on top of all that, there's a game changer called google play store. if you get the right chromebook (or better yet, a hybrid 2in1 chromebook), then chances are almost guaranteed that access to google's android playstore will be available (either stable or beta). mine gets it on beta & I'm running a myriad of playstore apps including kodi, media players, & a myriad of games (mostly without issue). imo android apps compatibility will only improve with time.

if thats not enough, then how about all day battery life. mine gets approx 8 - 10hrs of general usage (mixture of surfing, youtube, kodi & movies offa mSD card...basically almost exactly as what your gf will do). mine weighs approx 2.5lbs with a 12.5" gorgeous HD touchscreen so portability isnt a factor & honestly, I enjoy playing android games/apps on it more than the nexus 9.

I picked up my Asus C302 flip2 chromebook for $507 at newegg (openbox) so its possible you can get it round your budget (there are cheaper alternatives so the world's your oyster for choices). I have 2 win lappies (1's a 14" hybrid), a nexus 9 tablet & this chromebook & guess which device gets the most usage. infact I hardly touch anything else unless I need a specific win app. sadly my nexus 9 is sitting in a drawer gathering dust.

there's also other pluses for me but the above is just a sampling of todays chromebook goodness.
I think this is a pretty good idea. Chromebooks tend to be cheap, responsive, and have excellent screens and battery life for the most part. The drawbacks are the relatively small storage (although at least they use flash memory rather than spinners) and the lack of desktop applications - neither of which will likely be an issue for OP's girl.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11171 posts
4434 upvotes
Agree with most posters, a Tablet or Chromebook but just note that she will be limited to a scaled down version Microsoft Word, Excel ..etc or any of those applications found on most Windows based machines - this can be a showstopper for some. There are equivalent applications Google Docs, Sheets..etc and they are totally free so that's a bonus. If it's just literally internet browsing, youtbue and movies then get a tablet. 9.7" Galaxy S2 would be my choice ($450 - $500) as it will still be relevant 5 years from now. If she absolutely needs a keyboard then a Chromebook ...as scottsum mentioned above the ASUS C302 flip would be a great choice.
Last edited by blexann on Aug 25th, 2017 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
3988 posts
2925 upvotes
Calgary
yup I got office on my Asus flip2 chromebook as well & while I'm not a power user, it works (or seems to atleast) just fine for me. 16gb on a chromebook mite seem jusssst a tad small but dont forget the 100gb cloud google drive & external storage via mSD/usb/usb-c.

honestly guys, chrome web apps takes f#$k all space so the extra storage will be mainly for playstore apps - specifically games. & yes, my chromebook is instant on as well & (unlike windows) dont get all slowed up or worse without rebooting.

imho, tabs are from a bygone era & chromebooks with playstore is the REAL DEAL. the only thing I dislike about my Asus C302ca is the low volume tinny speakers but thats easily solved with a wireless BT/wifi headphones &or speakers (Sony SRSHG1 in my case).

I love my chromebook so much so I got one (albeit a much cheaper lenovo n22 @$140) for my gf. she loves it cos she can surf anywhere & not hassle me with malware crap. fwiw, she uses it for the exact similar purposes as op's gf Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes