• Last Updated:
  • Dec 25th, 2020 8:27 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
1221 posts
62 upvotes

Laptop not detecting chromecast

I have a laptop with windows 10 and for some reason I could no longer cast to my chromecast from it. I did a factory reset of the chromecast and still nothing. I updated windows, vlc player etc and it just won't detect the device. I am on the same wifi network for both. Any thoughts on what could be blocking it?

If it won't work what other device would be good...roku? I usually just stream movies from my pc, netflix etc.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4568 posts
4620 upvotes
Vancouver
The "Cast" capability built into Windows is not Google Cast (i.e., Chromecast). It uses DLNA, a different protocol not supported by the Chromecast, but is supported by other devices like Roku.

VLC 3.0 or higher has its own built-in support for Google Cast, and if your Chromecast is active on the same network, you should find it listed under Playback - Renderer (nothing so simple as a Cast icon!).

The Chromecast is frequently force-updated by Google and quickly becomes incompatible with any casting app unless the app is up to date too.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
1221 posts
62 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: The "Cast" capability built into Windows is not Google Cast (i.e., Chromecast). It uses DLNA, a different protocol not supported by the Chromecast, but is supported by other devices like Roku.

VLC 3.0 or higher has its own built-in support for Google Cast, and if your Chromecast is active on the same network, you should find it listed under Playback - Renderer (nothing so simple as a Cast icon!).

The Chromecast is frequently force-updated by Google and quickly becomes incompatible with any casting app unless the app is up to date too.
The renderer does not work either...it used to. Looks like I may have to purchase another device soon..Besides the roku is there another device you could recommend? Can I stream from the laptop to the roku stick?
Sep 4, 2006
939 posts
568 upvotes
Ottawa
Device manager, right click on wifi adapter, uninstall. Refresh, let it install the wifi adapter. Go back to VLC, playback, render, then your chromecasts will be there. I have to do this frequently on my 5 year old cheap Acer laptop. This is the only solution that works for me, all the other stuff that I've read on Reddit, Google, etc, etc, did not work.
Images
  • no render.png
  • VLC render.png