[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 7, 2003
9062 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto

laptop recommendations $500 - 600 range

hi all,

looking for a laptop recommendation between $500 - 600 for an extended family member. the primary use will be office 365 and hoping to have good battery life.

I was browsing bestbuy and saw this

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ac ... 1/15966837

is this any good?

not too familiar now with laptop technology nowadays. the last laptop I owned was a dell inspirion 640m, it wasn't very portable but served its purpose.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
1406 posts
853 upvotes
Toronto
Price is good and it's hard to find anything else in this price range that comes close to the same specs.

Have you also checked what Costco has in store? I know that they had a few deals on laptops in store but I'm not sure if the sales are over.
Jan 14, 2010
304 posts
83 upvotes
Ottawa
I just purchased this laptop for my in-laws and on paper it should do just fine for basic Office & web browsing. Probably the best bang for you buck from what's out there right now. I'll report back on the quality of the machine when I get my hands on it, but the sale ends tomorrow.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2012
2603 posts
1621 upvotes
Kelowna
cmge wrote: hi all,

looking for a laptop recommendation between $500 - 600 for an extended family member. the primary use will be office 365 and hoping to have good battery life.

is this any good?

not too familiar now with laptop technology nowadays. the last laptop I owned was a dell inspirion 640m, it wasn't very portable but served its purpose.
You might consider either a refurbished Dell Precision, Dell Latitude, HP ProDesk, or Lenovo ThinkPad (various models) from a reputable refurbisher, ideally in Canada. Many RFDers report good results with refurb.io, but DellRefurbished.ca is also good, as is Bauer Systems. The dharimall eBay store seems to also be good. Amazon Renewed may also be a good option, but make sure it's fulfilled by Amazon (i.e., eligible for Prime shipping).

Cheers,
Doug
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2007
1456 posts
1065 upvotes
Mississauga
cmge wrote: hi all,

is this any good?

my experience with acer wasn't great in the two laptops i got for family granted they were cheap but they fell apart
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2020
4213 posts
3460 upvotes
primordialSingularit…
teoconca wrote: Better to get refurbished Lenovo ThinkPad T470 from Bauer. Better to take that chance than Acer.
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/bauer-s ... #p37147577
I was going to post this very thing. Can't go wrong with $250. I love the Thinkpad T series. They are a corporate standard - excel, word, ppt, you name it. In fact, that refurb is most likely coming from an ex-office worker, where the machine is off the corporate lease. You can always replace the battery too to get max life. Lenovo has parts & inventory of their main Thinkpad line to service corporations.
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
10159 posts
4436 upvotes
Vaughan
ADenariusSaved wrote: I was going to post this very thing. Can't go wrong with $250. I love the Thinkpad T series. They are a corporate standard - excel, word, ppt, you name it. In fact, that refurb is most likely coming from an ex-office worker, where the machine is off the corporate lease. You can always replace the battery too to get max life. Lenovo has parts & inventory of their main Thinkpad line to service corporations.
OP

Yup, I can vow for this model T470, my son bought it new in 2018. He passed it down to me.

I had been Lenovo ThinkPad T4** user from T400, T420, T450, T470. Business laptop for bank I work for. They are durable and well built!
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2020
4213 posts
3460 upvotes
primordialSingularit…
The only caveat is that the T470 won't have W11 NATIVE compatibility when W10 comes end-of-life in 2025. You can however hack it and put W11 on, but there's no guarantee that an upgrade won't break your system. I have a T480, and it just made the W11 cut-off. It'll probably be my workhorse computer of the 2020s (got it 2019)...until I get a job lol. This thing went through a lot of beatings and still running strong. Not as tanky as my old T420 though, but better than most stuff you'll find on the market.

These things are pretty easy to upgrade and repair as well, but the T470S that's listed has a soldered RAM dimm. You can upgrade the other one though. The S series makes concessions for being lighter/thinner, and that is soldered components.
Nov 30, 2013
357 posts
351 upvotes
NB
I just bought this Dell 3511 and love it. For $30 I put another 8gb of ram (Amazon) and I installed a extra ssd I had in the drive bay. I have had Dell laptops for 20 years and this seems just as good or better. As far as performance I am not quite sure but it will runs some games well enough for me.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/de ... s/16451700
I AM NOT A BOOMER, but I wish i was.