• Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2010 2:42 pm
13 replies
Mar 23, 2008
829 posts
45 upvotes
Scarborough
Did you drop it? Did you step on it? Did you roll over it in bed? Do you have pets?

Your guess is as good as ours with the information you've provided.

Edit: Welcome to RFD!
Mar 20, 2009
189 posts
2 upvotes
Markham
01s0uljah wrote: Did you drop it? Did you step on it? Did you roll over it in bed? Do you have pets?

Your guess is as good as ours with the information you've provided.

Edit: Welcome to RFD!
Screens don't crack on its own. My guess would be you slammed the lid down too hard the last time you closed it and it cracked the screen, assuming you don't know of any other external forces which may have caused it to crack.
[OP]
Aug 21, 2009
3 posts
most likely someone touched it, then. darn...
did a quick search and it's about $350 to replace it. does anyone know a cheaper place in van city?
Mar 20, 2009
189 posts
2 upvotes
Markham
holahola00 wrote: most likely someone touched it, then. darn...
did a quick search and it's about $350 to replace it. does anyone know a cheaper place in van city?
I suggest buying a new laptop altogether. I wouldn't spend 350 on a screen replacement.
Mar 23, 2008
829 posts
45 upvotes
Scarborough
Theres been many cases of "mysteriously" cracked screens where nobody knows how it cracked. The only thing left to do is suck it up and either repair it or get a new computer.

What kind of laptop is it? Is it old? If it is, you might as well just get a new one, they arent that expensive anymore!

Best of Luck!
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2004
1186 posts
12 upvotes
What model laptop/resolution screen?
Aug 7, 2009
817 posts
15 upvotes
my laptops creen busted when my HR group member sat on my screen lol

it was the day for our presentation and the day before the YORK U STRIKE lol

replacement was 180$ installed for a 15.4"
[OP]
Aug 21, 2009
3 posts
you all are right. its better to buy a new one if it costs about $350 to repair the screen

man, need to set and configure everything on a new one

thanks everyone for help :D
Jun 3, 2009
332 posts
14 upvotes
Ottawa
I don't remember which thread it is in but somewhere on RFD there is a link for a site that buys used or broken notebooks. Try searching for it and you might get some cash back for that notebook.

Any RFDers have that site bookmarked?
Mar 23, 2008
829 posts
45 upvotes
Scarborough
Salvage it for parts.. People may need some pieces from your computer on ebay..
Feb 24, 2010
1 posts
I would first check the video card and other parts. The diagnosis is easy - connect an external monitor to your notebook via its video output port to verify that the notebook's other components still work. If the laptop itself functions properly, your screen is broken. Replacing screen on your own is cheaper. Since most laptop manufacturers charge too much, you may try to find third-party companies on the market that are selling laptop screens. You should easily find your model number and order a new screen (it is normally within $50-150)