Locked: Laptop screen cracked after 6 months

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2018 12:02 pm
[OP]
Feb 25, 2018
567 posts
213 upvotes

Laptop screen cracked after 6 months

I closed the lid too hard and it cracked at the corner. The warranty doesn't cover it. Can just buy a new one and slip this one back in and return it? Will i be in trouble?
Share:
22 replies
Jan 17, 2013
695 posts
279 upvotes
DaveVentura wrote: I closed the lid too hard and it cracked at the corner. The warranty doesn't cover it. Can just buy a new one and slip this one back in and return it? Will i be in trouble?
You can't, you will be in trouble and it won't work (serial number is different).
Banned
Nov 21, 2009
2465 posts
1042 upvotes
Yeah, serial number will getcha bud
Jan 17, 2013
695 posts
279 upvotes
Buy ASUS laptops next time, ASUS has accidental damage protection
Sep 12, 2013
38 posts
45 upvotes
KANATA
DaveVentura wrote: I closed the lid too hard and it cracked at the corner. The warranty doesn't cover it. Can just buy a new one and slip this one back in and return it? Will i be in trouble?
Fraud to name one thing
Oct 18, 2004
363 posts
221 upvotes
Windsor
If the crack is cosmetic, hopefully you can live with it. If not, try eBay or the link above for a replacement; barring that a trusted local PC repair shop. The latter being one that might be able to replace it or find you the part through their network of connections.

Whatever you do, don't swap it. Even if you are able to fool the store, the manufacturer might have you registered for a repair request (if you submitted a repair request via their website and didn't just ask an anonymous questions to rep on a chat) and they'll be able to see you did a monitor or chassis swap based on the registration and manufacturer number and likely send you a repair bill. The repair bill will of course be way above the price of a replacement and you can't ignore otherwise it goes to collections and if you fight it, you incriminate yourself with far worse consequences.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35645 posts
21730 upvotes
Center of Universe
Do you have accidental coverage with your CC?
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2860 posts
2189 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Yes you will be in trouble and you would be facing criminal charges.

You broke it. Suck it up, princess. :)
Last edited by ALLCAPS on Feb 26th, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8549 posts
2325 upvotes
Mississauga
ALLCAPS wrote: Yes you will be in trouble and you would be facing criminal charges.
I
You broke it. Suck it up, princess. :)
I second that post.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
3088 posts
751 upvotes
Northern Hemisphere
Perhaps you shouldn’t use a laptop if you are able to crack it like that. Try using a desktop.
For wars they come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.- Tupac
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
1582 posts
1229 upvotes
Toronto
No way you can bring it back...That would be fraud..you broke it so why do you want to repurchase a new one to exchange.... Not only do the retailer check the serial number but they would open the box to check for anything that did not look right... I agreed with everyone..this is you fault so live with it...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6764 posts
3843 upvotes
Aurora
sigh... asking for advice on how to rip off a business...
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1688 posts
1348 upvotes
he is a honest crook...
What you keep in your heart will take you further than what you keep in your pocket.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1688 posts
1348 upvotes
Avenger wrote: Stupid is different from honest.
By definition all crooks are stupid as only a stupid person aspires to go to jail...
What you keep in your heart will take you further than what you keep in your pocket.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
6931 posts
6454 upvotes
Toronto
Oh, boy.... :facepalm:

Why don't you change the title of the thread to "I treated my laptop like garbage... should I scam the store where I bought it?"
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
14207 posts
8304 upvotes
Toronto
so you want to commit fraud.

:facepalm:

reported.

IBTL
Deal Addict
May 24, 2003
4179 posts
707 upvotes
Toronto
DEPENDING on what type of laptop it is, go to amazon.com or amazon.ca get your replacement screen (I once replaced the 1366x768 screen on an acer laptop with a 1080p screen for only $40!!) It literally took 20 minutes to replace it following the instructions on youtube, super simple

DO NOT try and return it and commit fraud, this would really show a lot about your character